Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I honestly agree with you. I'd like to see some experimentation with love interests of the Trinity. Pair each member with different people heck maybe even each other and let the fans decide by voting with their wallets. It is certainly a worthy endeavor, IMO.
    I agree that they need to date other people. I think if Steve had an anchor into Diana's life like Catwoman and Lois we wouldn't have to worry about whether he can be erased by a new relationship or letting Diana explore different options but because she doesn't have any normalcy for fans to cling to you always have the possibility that he will go missing for another 25+ years if not indefinitely. I think if writers focused on establishing stuff like Argus and Holiday College as important bases for Diana's world there wouldn't be a big worry about her dating other people or having new cast members because all of that would be established.
    Bruce has dated plenty of other women and I think has a different love interest in every movie besides two where Catwoman is his main love interest. However, Catwoman has and probably always will be thought of as his most important and his "endgame" because of how important she is. Lois is obviously going no where and has held that down for decades, but Superman has dated here and there.
    The idea that Diana dates the first guy she meets and then runs off in the sunset with him for the rest of her life is already suffocating to deal with but the fact that the relationship hasnt existed for decades makes it harder to really believe. I haven't enjoyed the relationship between those two much at all even in the film that everyone loves so I'd like there to be more there.

I think its more believable to have her have at least one or two relationships before she leaves the island and then a few others after. I don't hate the idea that she was with Batman for a moment, or superman if you're into that sort of thing, and then went her own way when it just doesn't work out. I'd even like her to have a past with Angleman or some other equally sleazy but not repulsive villain.

Extraordinary Member

Well I know one thing.

Lois would never mop around whining about how Clark didn’t pay enough attention to her, and then pack a bag and leave as a way of dealing with her fragile ego. A writer who penned that would be burned in effigy.

But apparently for Steve it’s okay.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Well, everyone has their time being written poorly. Once upon a time Lois moped about how Superman wouldn't kill for her and left him over it. So yeah, it happens to everyone. Even more popular characters.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well, everyone has their time being written poorly. Once upon a time Lois moped about how Superman wouldn't kill for her and left him over it. So yeah, it happens to everyone. Even more popular characters.
    Lois leaving Superman because showed he'd rather let her die than break his code is a lot different than Steve complaining Diana doesn't spend enough time him.

Lois leaving Superman because showed he'd rather let her die than break his code is a lot different than Steve complaining Diana doesn't spend enough time him.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well I know one thing.

Lois would never mop around whining about how Clark didn’t pay enough attention to her, and then pack a bag and leave as a way of dealing with her fragile ego. A writer who penned that would be burned in effigy.

But apparently for Steve it’s okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    None of the above sounds like good comics.

The situations are different but the end result is the same: bad characterization. Neither situations are things that, with care and thought, couldn't make for interesting conundrums for a couple to tackle. However the way this one has started, and the way the Lois one played out all those years ago, have a common thread in that they were just bad, rushed storytelling.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

I’d have to agree. But when did story happen? I read all the S-titles from ‘85 through to 2001 and sure don’t remember that story line.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

If you could make a poll of all the greatest purely supporting characters across all of fiction:

I'd be surprised if Lois Lane doesn't make the Top 2 (it's between her and Dr. Watson for the crown).

I'd be surprised if Selina Kyle doesn't make the Top 20.

I'd be surprised if Steve Trevor actually makes the Top 200.

Steve lost 24 years of relevance at a really bad time for comic book characters to lose relevance (1987 through 2011).

Now he's playing catch-up, and still has a loooooong way (16 years?) to go to make up for all that lost time.

The Chris Pine movie(s) are a good start, tho.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If you could make a poll of all the greatest purely supporting characters across all of fiction:

I'd be surprised if Lois Lane doesn't make the Top 2 (it's between her and Dr. Watson for the crown).

Steve lost 24 years of relevance at a really bad time for comic book characters to lose relevance (1987 through 2011).

Now he's playing catch-up, and still has a loooooong way (16 years?) to go to make up for all that lost time.

Sorry man - I do not seeing Lois beating out Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

I guess you're excluding guys like Robin, since he's the gold standard of all sidekicks. And if you include villains, I guess Joker is to be excluded?

I dunno, I don't think the public necessarily views Lois that highly. A lot of non-fans still see her as the damsel-in-distress who can't tell the difference between Clark Kent and Superman, so their impression of the character isn't exactly positive. Plus, Superman's presence in the Justice League doesn't necessarily translate to a lot more Lois exposure, just a little. If you asked for number one Superhero WAGs, she's at the very top, and by a lot, but as supporting characters I don't think so.

As great as Perez's work on WW is, I think his one big failing was that he didn't give Diana a love life. It seems like he thought he had to eliminate any romance to make her strong, which isn't something that's done to male heroes.
    Steve is an important part of the WW cast, and I always felt like there was a big something missing in the post Crisis WW without Steve as a love interest. He was there, but he was definitely moved out of that role.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

I dunno, I don't think the public necessarily views Lois that highly.
    From what I've seen, Lois gets a decent amount of respect from fans (I personally really couldn't care less about opinions of non-fans, or casual fans who don't really care about the characters beyond what's on the surface). And she gets a fair amount of exposure, too, because a lot of Superman stories leave room for Lois or make an attempt to include her in some way. Unlike Batman, who is at times portrayed as either a player or too broody for relationships, or Wonder Woman who can only be either a "strong female character" or in a relationship (and out of those two, the former will win out every time).

As for Diana and Steve, as long as people are still hung up about WW being unfeminist when she's in a relationship, or pushing for her to date someone "more interesting", the pairing will always be in a precarious position. I doubt Steve would ever disappear indefinitely (nothing is permanent in comic books, and even in those hopeless 25 years he still popped up as her love interest in Elseworld stories and adaptations). The thing is writers don't like Steve because he's boring, but he's boring precisely because no one has bothered to write him in a compelling way since Pre-Crisis. It's a vicious cycle. Lois and Steve started out more or less the same in terms of character depth, but unlike her writers never really gave Steve a chance.

Just to clarify: I did say PURELY supporting characters, i.e. characters that were created solely to enhance another more prominent character AND whom have not been able to successfully establish a presence outside said prominent character.

STAR TREK, like STAR WARS, is an ensemble piece, with no true main character. Spock is at least equal to Kirk, and definitely exists beyond him. Dick Grayson stopped being a purely supporting character once the Teen Titans became a franchise. And Joker just proved he doesn't need Batman to successfully anchor a big story.

I stand by my assessment: Lois is Top 2, Selina is Top 20, and Steve is probably not even Top 200.

The situations are different but the end result is the same: bad characterization. Neither situations are things that, with care and thought, couldn't make for interesting conundrums for a couple to tackle. However the way this one has started, and the way the Lois one played out all those years ago, have a common thread in that they were just bad, rushed storytelling.
    Lois isn't the one being badly mischaracterized in that story.