Page 21 of 161 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Or they could make a bunch of eggs and put them in The World to age "normally".
    Right. Hmm, they could even put all 5 of them in there and have Genosha resurrected even faster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    If this isn’t undone it’s totally killed this series for me. Nothing they did brought these people’s souls back. Copying something isn’t recreating the original it’s just replacing it. A copy of your brain waves or pathways isn’t saving you it’s just making a copy.
    That means Xavier has been a fake since the Brood Saga.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    If this isn’t undone it’s totally killed this series for me. Nothing they did brought these people’s souls back. Copying something isn’t recreating the original it’s just replacing it. A copy of your brain waves or pathways isn’t saving you it’s just making a copy.
    Says who? A soul is just a made up thing anyway. It can conform to whatever rules a writer wants to apply to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Question: what’s the beef with the resurrection process? We’ve been getting resurrections all our X-lives by any number of flashy ways — magic, demons, cosmic forces, literal rejection of the after life, etc.

I get the concerns folk have over essential immortality but I mean the actual process proposed by combining these specific Mutants is straight fire!
    Oh it's absolutely awesome, but I think the problems some have is that it seems too easy now. It's one thing when someone dies and 2-3 years later they come back because of stuff. It also helps with interesting plot developments because so-and-so isn't there in god mode helping the current conflict that only they can solve. Here it appears that they can just "make a new one" on their lunch breaks and go about saving the world some more. The sense of danger is gone, but I think we all know that they need something clever to give us reasons to read and fear for their safety which is likely going to be the case.

For a while, now, I’ve been wondering how/why En Sabah Nur seems to have joined the X-Men - and been accepted by them - as of DoX.

Now I know. And it supports a thing that has been rattling in my head for a while now...

Apocalypse is the Krakoa ‘nuclear option’. Especially once his original Four Horsemen rise again.

“Humans of the world. Mutants are here, and we will no longer cower in the shadows, waiting for your acceptance. We are happy to be your allies and even friends, and that is, of course, our hope. However. If you come for us, then the Apocalypse comes for you, and with him, Pestilence, Famine, War, and Death. And, THIS time, we will not stop him.”

This issue was really great. I love the culture that's being established on Krakoa, and that it feels alien enough to us humans. Is it cultish? Or is it just mutant culture and we mere humans simply can't grasp it? I love that.

Some really great interactions in this issue. Loved Storm's role and her dialogue with both Scott and Jean. Years and years of history captured in a few sentences.

The scene at the UN was also very telling to me. Emma influenced things a bit, and Xavier points out how that can have an effect on her.....and then he thanks her for her sacrifice. Sounds like he knows from experience. He's got secrets that he's hiding but that he thinks were necessary, and although it takes a toll on him, ultimately they're necessary.

I can understand how folks are a little put off by the monolithic stance the mutants are all taking in the series. I'd also like to see some dissenting voices here and there. I hope we will. But at this point in the story, I actually kind of like that they're all so united. It works on a few levels. First, it establishes that Krakoa is something new that has never been seen before....it's united them all. It helps to establish how game changing this is from the things we've seen before.

Second, I think that it's also reflecting the groupings and kind of assimilation culture that we see in the PoX issues with the Phalanx. Groups of certain amounts of minds working in unison, and the different levels of that. The Five, for instance, seem to be exactly that. I really like the concept of them working so closely, and the effect it's having on them. Groups of mutants being called Orgies of Mutants, Hickman joked on Twitter.....seems there may have been a bit more to that than just a joke. I expect The Five are all quite close now, based on the data pages.

This connection to the Phalanx story seems to finally bring some of that into focus. Exactly how is what I'm still wondering.....because having assimilation be the end goal seems an odd choice for the ultimate goal of mutants, a metaphor for diversity. But, given their rather monolithic portrayal here, and the union of The Five and the implications of it, it's certainly something. Interesting stuff.

One thing I was wondering, and I didn't see anyone mention it.....Angel was returned in his original form? No more blue skin and metal wings? Or were his wings still metallic? It's hard to tell from the art. What do others think?

Jingle bells, Logan smells
    Fabio laid an egg
    J.K.E seeded and hatched
    And Hope cheered them all
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Oh it's absolutely awesome, but I think the problems some have is that it seems too easy now. It's one thing when someone dies and 2-3 years later they come back because of stuff. It also helps with interesting plot developments because so-and-so isn't there in god mode helping the current conflict that only they can solve. Here it appears that they can just "make a new one" on their lunch breaks and go about saving the world some more. The sense of danger is gone, but I think we all know that they need something clever to give us reasons to read and fear for their safety which is likely going to be the case.
    I think it adds more because finally people can stop relying on over the top deaths in the X-franchise. Blown up buses, kids massacred, genosha. We the fans have dealt with enough death too. I love that idea that at least for a few years writers really have to try to raise the stakes without the usual mutant murder of the week to give things meaning. The x-men going forward is about world building, reaching out to humans from a place of power and trying to reach unity rather than trying to reach out to them while confined and buried by their system. I am going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Maybe we will finally get somewhere without everything always feeling like a reset.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Guys, Nightcrawler has been living since Amazing without a soul and he was fine.

Mighty Member

I’m gonna be super annoyed if this is all just life 6.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I. LOVED. THIS. ISSUE!!!
    10/10, A++ and 5 super novas for emphasis.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-18-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    This issue was really great. I love the culture that's being established on Krakoa, and that it feels alien enough to us humans. Is it cultish? Or is it just mutant culture and we mere humans simply can't grasp it? I love that.

Some really great interactions in this issue. Loved Storm's role and her dialogue with both Scott and Jean. Years and years of history captured in a few sentences.

The scene at the UN was also very telling to me. Emma influenced things a bit, and Xavier points out how that can have an effect on her.....and then he thanks her for her sacrifice. Sounds like he knows from experience. He's got secrets that he's hiding but that he thinks were necessary, and although it takes a toll on him, ultimately they're necessary.

I can understand how folks are a little put off by the monolithic stance the mutants are all taking in the series. I'd also like to see some dissenting voices here and there. I hope we will. But at this point in the story, I actually kind of like that they're all so united. It works on a few levels. First, it establishes that Krakoa is something new that has never been seen before....it's united them all. It helps to establish how game changing this is from the things we've seen before.

Second, I think that it's also reflecting the groupings and kind of assimilation culture that we see in the PoX issues with the Phalanx. Groups of certain amounts of minds working in unison, and the different levels of that. The Five, for instance, seem to be exactly that. I really like the concept of them working so closely, and the effect it's having on them. Groups of mutants being called Orgies of Mutants, Hickman joked on Twitter.....seems there may have been a bit more to that than just a joke. I expect The Five are all quite close now, based on the data pages.

This connection to the Phalanx story seems to finally bring some of that into focus. Exactly how is what I'm still wondering.....because having assimilation be the end goal seems an odd choice for the ultimate goal of mutants, a metaphor for diversity. But, given their rather monolithic portrayal here, and the union of The Five and the implications of it, it's certainly something. Interesting stuff.

One thing I was wondering, and I didn't see anyone mention it.....Angel was returned in his original form? No more blue skin and metal wings? Or were his wings still metallic? It's hard to tell from the art. What do others think?
    I thought about this too. The wings look like they could be metallic but they look like they might not be. This is the one that has me confused. Unless his DNA was somehow altered when he became Archangel and they changed his x-gene.

Also we've seen the Powers of 8, the Powers of 5, still waiting on that powers of 10.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-18-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The Cuckoos will probably end up being part of the telepathic resurrection team

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    The sense of danger is gone, but I think we all know that they need something clever to give us reasons to read and fear for their safety which is likely going to be the case.
    How often are readers actually thinking anyone is going to die at all? If anything, this could make writers create actual stakes that matter instead of the hacky shock value deaths we've been getting.

You guyssssss Goldball is not basically Gold JUEVOSSSSSS