Page 76 of 161 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2405

So is Goldballs technically the father of every mutant born from Krakoa?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Holy crap, people need to stop taking their personal issues out on other forum members just reading a story.
    Agreed. Again it's all fiction, and has no bearing on what people agree with or support in reality. I like tons of stuff in fiction with characters that I would NOT approve of if we were dealing with real people & events.

There’s absolutely a discomfort to this. Everything the mutants are doing is predicated on the knowledge of what will happen if they just keep trying the same things again, and on that level it is reasonable. However, this puts us in the same philosophical ballpark as the grand narratives of Asimov’s Foundation, Herbert’s Dune, or the early 20th Century philosophers, phrenologists and anthropologists who unwittingly helped steer humanity toward the depredations of the Holocaust by losing sight of the human. Dune’s “Golden Path” in particular places its characters in a straitjacket that they must strive to escape, and we are promised that this struggle will lead to their emergence from the chrysalis as a viable species that may survive the future.

In House Of X, we are told that the mutants must give up the human to survive. This may mean giving up family ties to an extent (and are not most mutant parents human?), giving up human attitudes on public nudity, adopting a new language, and new rituals. This may seem like a cult, but actually they’re more like Magneto’s tribe that settled the land and said “this place is good”. I think this really is a viable society, and I’m sure we’ll see more of that as DoX progresses. We have to examine ourselves at this point and wonder whether our discomfort at the rebirth ritual is really because of modern fears of Jonestown-like scenarios, or because the mutants are genuinely beginning to become an alien society to us; the tribe across the river that worship different gods from us.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Holy crap, people need to stop taking their personal issues out on other forum members just reading a story.
    This is why some of us avoid the X-boards, you guys get really heated.

That being said, I think it's great that we can all talk about thse very important issues. It's great when a book makes you think.

I think that you simply can't use the X-Men as a real and direct metaphor for minorities and I never really thought you could or should. I mean, they do have real destructive powers, there are tons of mutants with just shitty powers that make their lives unlivable. There is a man who turned into a freaking tree! He is likely still a tree! That isn't about society hating this man or him just needing acceptance, this man just literally cannot have a real life because his mutation turned him into a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He's laying eggs. He's the mother

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    He's laying eggs. He's the mother
    And he's been throwing eggs the whole time.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I do wonder if the Mutants can ever actually completely abandon their humanity. It doesn't seem like Hickman is going to explore this though.

BANNED

Xavier is the proud father off the bouncing babyball eggs. :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I do wonder if the Mutants can ever actually completely abandon their humanity. It doesn't seem like Hickman is going to explore this though.
    Should mutants kill their baseline human parents as soon as their powers manifest?

Never mind moving on. Gold ball eggs

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I wonder if some mutants would even consider having their appearance altered so they could further distance themselves from humanity. Maybe someone like Masque could alter them.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Might as well call him Golddaddy
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    I wonder if some mutants would even consider having their appearance altered so they could further distance themselves from humanity. Maybe someone like Masque could alter them.
    Isn't this still rather racist, though? You should be happy with who you are, so long as you can live a happy and fulfilled life.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Might as well call him Golddaddy
    Mommy technically

just call him goose