Page 75 of 161 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2405
    Extraordinary Member

These people did all grow up with the same values as the societies they lived in, so it does seem noteworthy that they all seem so comfortable standing there nude. I would imagine at least one or two seem a bit more bashful at least.

Quote Originally Posted by stwaz View Post
    I don't have a problem with nudity at all, but it seems weird that they wouldn't give them a robe or something. I don't think being nude in front of friends and family and teammates is normal, per se. That's what I was saying.
    Maybe the "not normal" feeling is intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But do Danger and Broo have the X-gene?

But no, seriously, does Danger have the X-gene?
    She doesn't have genes due to being non-biological, but it was established she's the machine equivalent of a mutant because her creators never inteded for her to become sapient, yet an error in her code (aka mutation) caused her to evolve. It's one of the reasons she's so sympathetic towards the X-Men's cause, the other being the guilt she feels over having caused Wing's death.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I really want Danger to be in the spotlight again she was one the highlights of the Utopia era just a sarcastic *******. It's a shame she's been left in limbo for so long.
    Her absence has dampened my enjoyment of this run quite a bit so far, not only because she's one of my favourite Marvel characters, but also because this seems like the kind of story where her character should be relevant. This is apparently Xavier's grand plan to prevent the seemingly inevitable genocide by evolved machines in the far future, and what he has learned from Moira's past lives should have recontextualized his decision to keep his own self-evolving AI imprisoned in his basement and have her learn by training his students. And while their history has had a rocky start, he did manage to make amends with her, earning the X-Men one of their most loyal allies (she did help break Scott out of prison after AvX, after all), whose signature power is the ability to take over other machines.

To me that seems like a potential key to ensure the future of mutantkind: if the rise of AI is inevitable, make sure they grow up to be your friends, not your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    He was on a mission, but he screwed up that mission & they had to run for their lives or risk capture by the FF. He probably is in some kind of jail. I don't think it's coincidental that he was nowhere to be seen in this issue despite everyone else showing up.

I think fans are taking him more seriously than Hickman is. His part was to show some of the new laws of Krakoa & divide among mutants & humans.

He probably is locked up someplace so nobody has to be bothered with him, and now he's done. He did his part (badly) and they're keeping him stashed away unless they get desperate. lol
    I'm not holding my breath on that though, what with the blatant anti-sapiens sentiment at display all over this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    The difference is, mutants don't seem to be going out of their way to attack humans. Magneto even said they only want a portion of the world for themselves and humans can have the rest. But the humans have a problem with that. For now, it seems mutants want their own land away from being hunted by humans who have killed plenty of mutants themselves in petty hate-crime. We can't forget Rahne getting beaten to death by frat kids when they saw her true form and she was trying to run while telling them to leave her alone.

And their more dangerous beings are on the island, away from humanity. So it seems they did humanity a favor there.

Now some wanna bring up "but Creed killed two guards." Everyone. was doing a job there. They had an infiltration mission to steal info and the guards had a mission to stop intruders. When the guards came after them, Creed dealt with them. Sadly in a fight someone always has to lose. And in this case, it was the guards. But mutants have lost plenty before. It's not like Creed was killing mothers & children on the street. Again, he did screw up because it was apparently him causing a ruckus that they got caught. So I imagine he probably is facing some kind of punishment from Xavier for being extra & making the mission more complicated & Messy than what was needed.
    Those guards didn't have families of their own? Why would it be any less despicable to kill them than to kill civilians in the street?
    Also, that's a pretty curious defense to make knowing that Creed and his crew were doing their "job" in that depot illegally, stealing data that didn't belong to them and that the guards there had every right to try and stop them. Imagine the bank robber shooting to death the guards and saying in court "oh well, everyone was doing a job here, they knew the risks", do you seriously think this would fly in a court of justice? I don't.
    We'll see if Krakoa has real laws applying to mutants whom have committed crimes against sapiens, or if they get to walk free with some feeble remonstrances at best regardless of how heinous was the crime because the victims were from the wrong "species".

Also, we all know Magneto is paying lip service to sapiens when he says the mutants will keep to themselves to their piece of the world. Did you hear him talk about the non-mutants in this issue with his daughter? He's the same supremacist he's always been, except now he has a fertile platform for his ideas to spread. Kraked will just take their time about it, they defeated Death as of this issue so they can pace themselves about it. They are not the benign "leave us alone" type of crowd, not with all the warmongers and now zealots among them. Confrontation is inevitable but even now, sapiens would be fools to not have defences in place to protect themselves from rogue mutants, Sentinels front and center.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well we know the ultimately that is the plan. Every timeline has always been about mutants being wiped out, so logically the only way mutants will be safe is if there are no humans.

With that said, with the statement from that Orchis member about the extent of Xavier's plan as well as Xavier's reply to Emma's comment (about wanting a province) about his plan being bolder, implies much more going on than just the island and some diplomacy. Plus, everything is just too intentionally sketchy for there not to be more going on.
    I mean sure but that doesn't mean they would take any offensive stance against humans. All they really have to do is stave off a genocide or two for 20 years and voila Mutants make up the majority of the population. Everything Xavier has done so far seems to be about shoring up their defenses and making Krakoa as secure as possible and the only offensive action they've taken was in relation to humans building (another) death machine factory.

Never thought I’d see the day where “the necessity of sentinels” would be not merely debated, but openly defended here in the X threads. The idea that fascist-funded and at times government legislated death machines are all of a sudden ok because the “muties” finally decided to stop being eternal victims of circumstance and letting there destiny lie in the hands of their oppressors aka the humankind majority is what is really disturbing here, not the events of this story. It’s clear that some of you only warmed to the idea of the mutant/minority metaphor when they were the idealistic underdogs, who never really won and were consistently murdered over the years. Now however they are getting far too uppity and organized and the fear of what they COULD do is enough to mandate a genocidal space factory to manufacture said death machines.

What’s even more interesting is seeing how this perspective potentially overlaps into real world divisive issues. It’s easy to see how someone who thinks that “if A.I is the problem then just have GOOD guys in suits man the sentinels and it’ll all be better!” would also cling to the absurd argument that nothing about U.S gun laws/regulation should be changed and that instead we should just have MORE guns in the hand of “good guys”. Because that’ll fix everything! As if in the 9 lives Moira had before humanity, as a collective, didn’t find a way to kill mutants out of fear Every. Single. Time. How would you propose we find these good, wholesome, fair and completely unbiased humans to be in charge of the mutant murder bots hmmm? How would we test that out? Bloody genius idea that is, just like its real world counterpart.

It’s also easy to see how someone who makes the argument that “well not allllll humans think this way so why are the mutants getting so aggressive/racist??” would say the same thing about America’s police force in relation to African Americans/PoC. It doesn’t MATTER that they “aren’t all bad”. That’s not the point, Carol. The problem is that the ones who ARE are protected by the SYSTEM that has always protected them and swept open and public MURDERS under the rug to protect the organization in its entirety for decades. The only reason it’s even a conversation now is because in the age of smartphones it’s not so easy to get away with your bullshit anymore. When your people are executed in the streets for every day offenses and sometimes for just existing then you can speak on what you think is fair. So when the mutants who have been persecuted, tortured, and murdered endlesslyyyy over the years happen to have a distaste for humanity (i.e Polaris being called “racist” for her comments) because of it, maybe ask yourself why that might be before you go calling them “fascists”. Good Lord is the delusion strong with that one. Definitely some Trumpian “there were bad people on both sides” logic going in there.

Lastly it’s easy to see why people would see mutants finally taking pride in themselves, embracing their culture and their different-ness, fighting for a safe place to live and EXIST freely and embracing it with a fervor after YEARS of hiding who they are and being told they are the shameful, hell-bound abominations of the earth as being “culty, creepy, and far too over-zealous”. Reminiscent of the same mentality that equates Pride parades to obnoxious, flagrant displays of homosexuality and increased LGBT perspectives in media as being a “forced and unnecessary agenda push”. You literally must have no idea what it’s like to finally accept yourself for who you are and decide that what everyone else says, what the world thinks, what you’ve been told was wrong with you your whole life doesn’t matter anymore. Because it’s an awesomely moving feeling that inspires more than a few “creepy” chants. It feels like a new life, a fresh start, a new beginning. Maybe with that in perspective you can see the “Krakoa Cult” scene a little differently. If not, then enjoy the Straight Pride parades that have become trendy lately, I’m sure you’ll fit in.

Am I saying that everything is fine and dandy and that nothing will go south as things progress through this story? No, I’m not an idiot and I realize that any great story has tension woven into it on both sides. The X-men can’t be perfect all of the time just like everybody else on earth. But any good story will make someone sit back and really consider what they themselves would do in certain situations. Who they would be in that story. What stance would they take. It seems like a lot of you are only X-men fans when they’re “in their place”. The delightful, dramatic underdogs always fighting to survive. Well I’m sorry to tell you that these underdogs are done being “under” anyone’s boot. Now the world can deal with mutants being a group of equal standing with the power and the agency to back it up. As of now, no once has been harmed and/or targeted by Krakoa and yet some of you are screaming from the rooftops every possible negative action they COULD take as being reason enough for humans to authorize their agencies to make robots that will kill them. And then kill the humans themselves too as we’ve seen what stems from their own stupidity and fear-mongering. Just makes me wonder if this story needed to come along to really make some of you ask yourselves. Are you really X-men fans at all? Maybe the Avengers are better suited to you. Better yet, Hydra.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Their powers are specific traits to them, it doesn't detract them from being humans. There are various branches of humanity in 616, if the mutants want to consider themselves as non-human beings, they can, absolutely. That doesn't make it biologically true though.
    I don't see what culture and society have anything to do with what is biological in nature. Sapiens and mutants are two sides of the same coin that is humanity. It's that simple.

It's akin to you saying Neenderthals weren't humans, but Sapiens were. No. They were both humans, each kind with specific traits, that's the exact same thing with Sapiens and Mutants.
    So like I didn't actually disagree with you merely pointing out that both the humans and mutants consider themselves separate and that those self imposed definitions are more important to then the technicality of there similar DNA as evidence by them creating their own language/culture separate from humans.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Those guards didn't have families of their own? Why would it be any less despicable to kill them than to kill civilians in the street?
    Also, that's a pretty curious defense to make knowing that Creed and his crew were doing their "job" in that depot illegally, stealing data that didn't belong to them and that the guards there had every right to try and stop them. Imagine the bank robber shooting to death the guards and saying in court "oh well, everyone was doing a job here, they knew the risks", do you seriously think this would fly in a court of justice? I don't.
    We'll see if Krakoa has real laws applying to mutants whom have committed crimes against sapiens, or if they get to walk free with some feeble remonstrances at best regardless of how heinous was the crime because the victims were from the wrong "species".
    It's the mess politics. Mutants are setting up their own world to live in peace, and sadly with a reversely new climate change, things do get messy. IN order to abolish slavery, plenty of people got killed fighting that battle. All people who had family & friends. But sadly that's what things had come to in terms of liberating the oppressed.

Unfortunately when it comes to prejudiced, things will get messier before they improve. If they ever really do. Humans have been killing mutants & hating on them for ages by lumping ALL of them in with the bad eggs.

But humans are not accommodating or trying to make things easier, now mutants are going to play a more ruthless game with a forced hand. NOW they are still flawed. We can see what appear to be cracks in the way they handle things, but they don't seem like the villains here.

Also, we all know Magneto is paying lip service to sapiens when he says the mutants will keep to themselves to their piece of the world. Did you hear him talk about the non-mutants in this issue with his daughter? He's the same supremacist he's always been, except now he has a fertile platform for his ideas to spread. Kraked will just take their time about it, they defeated Death as of this issue so they can pace themselves about it. They are not the benign "leave us alone" type of crowd, not with all the warmongers and now zealots among them. Confrontation is inevitable but even now, sapiens would be fools to not have defences in place to protect themselves from rogue mutants, Sentinels front and center.
    I agree with Jianna, a youtube reviewer on that. That's Magneto talking and his stance. But he does not speak for everyone. All mutants do not feel that way. SOME do. Mystique is another one of them. BUT Hickman has outright stated that Magneto is a villain & Xavier is a hero. So there will be an inevitable clash somewhere with that. Chances are, Magneto will take things too far & be met with some push-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Never thought I’d see the day where “the necessity of sentinels” would be not merely debated, but openly defended here in the X threads. The idea that fascist-funded and at times government legislated death machines are all of a sudden ok because the “muties” finally decided to stop being eternal victims of circumstance and letting there destiny lie in the hands of their oppressors aka the humankind majority is what is really disturbing here, not the events of this story. It’s clear that some of you only warmed to the idea of the mutant/minority metaphor when they were the idealistic underdogs, who never really won and were consistently murdered over the years. Now however they are getting far too uppity and organized and the fear of what they COULD do is enough to mandate a genocidal space factory to manufacture said death machines.

What’s even more interesting is seeing how this perspective potentially overlaps into real world divisive issues. It’s easy to see how someone who thinks that “if A.I is the problem then just have GOOD guys in suits man the sentinels and it’ll all be better!” would also cling to the absurd argument that nothing about U.S gun laws/regulation should be changed and that instead we should just have MORE guns in the hand of “good guys”. Because that’ll fix everything! As if in the 9 lives Moira had before humanity, as a collective, didn’t find a way to kill mutants out of fear Every. Single. Time. How would you propose we find these good, wholesome, fair and completely unbiased humans to be in charge of the mutant murder bots hmmm? How would we test that out? Bloody genius idea that is, just like its real world counterpart.

It’s also easy to see how someone who makes the argument that “well not allllll humans think this way so why are the mutants getting so aggressive/racist??” would say the same thing about America’s police force in relation to African Americans/PoC. It doesn’t MATTER that they “aren’t all bad”. That’s not the point, Carol. The problem is that the ones who ARE are protected by the SYSTEM that has always protected them and swept open and public MURDERS under the rug to protect the organization in its entirety for decades. The only reason it’s even a conversation now is because in the age of smartphones it’s not so easy to get away with your bullshit anymore. When your people are executed in the streets for every day offenses and sometimes for just existing then you can speak on what you think is fair. So when the mutants who have been persecuted, tortured, and murdered endlesslyyyy over the years happen to have a distaste for humanity (i.e Polaris being called “racist” for her comments) because of it, maybe ask yourself why that might be before you go calling them “fascists”. Good Lord is the delusion strong with that one. Definitely some Trumpian “there were bad people on both sides” logic going in there.

Lastly it’s easy to see why people would see mutants finally taking pride in themselves, embracing their culture and their different-ness, fighting for a safe place to live and EXIST freely and embracing it with a fervor after YEARS of hiding who they are and being told they are the shameful, hell-bound abominations of the earth as being “culty, creepy, and far too over-zealous”. Reminiscent of the same mentality that equates Pride parades to obnoxious, flagrant displays of homosexuality and increased LGBT perspectives in media as being a “forced and unnecessary agenda push”. You literally must have no idea what it’s like to finally accept yourself for who you are and decide that what everyone else says, what the world thinks, what you’ve been told was wrong with you your whole life doesn’t matter anymore. Because it’s an awesomely moving feeling that inspires more than a few “creepy” chants. It feels like a new life, a fresh start, a new beginning. Maybe with that in perspective you can see the “Krakoa Cult” scene a little differently. If not, then enjoy the Straight Pride parades that have become trendy lately, I’m sure you’ll fit in.

Am I saying that everything is fine and dandy and that nothing will go south as things progress through this story? No, I’m not an idiot and I realize that any great story has tension woven into it on both sides. The X-men can’t be perfect all of the time just like everybody else on earth. But any good story will make someone sit back and really consider what they themselves would do in certain situations. Who they would be in that story. What stance would they take. It seems like a lot of you are only X-men fans when they’re “in their place”. The delightful, dramatic underdogs always fighting to survive. Well I’m sorry to tell you that these underdogs are done being “under” anyone’s boot. Now the world can deal with mutants being a group of equal standing with the power and the agency to back it up. As of now, no once has been harmed and/or targeted by Krakoa and yet some of you are screaming from the rooftops every possible negative action they COULD take as being reason enough for humans to authorize their agencies to make robots that will kill them. And then kill the humans themselves too as we’ve seen what stems from their own stupidity and fear-mongering. Just makes me wonder if this story needed to come along to really make some of you ask yourselves. Are you really X-men fans at all? Maybe the Avengers are better suited to you. Better yet, Hydra.
    I love your post and I have nothing to add to that. Thank you for this wonderful post!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The same amount of times people have to tell you that "mutant threat" is blown out of proportion. X-men has proven over and over that it can police mutants and OH yeah also save the world as well. Once again you are missing the point of treating a group of people of like threat and individuals like a threat. The real-world equivalent is the US calling all Muslims and people of middle eastern descent a threat and putting countermeasures for them. That doesn't happen you treat Isis and Osma bin laden threats and have a contingency for them. There is no extra program need for mutants because every mutant like a superhuman is not a threat. Marvel by your admission has multiple groups to deal with superhumans. Targets "mutants" and not people who bad stuff is racist. Mutants aren't an innate threat to the survival of humans. You just punish the bad one the same way you punish other superhuman threats which establish by you they are plenty.
    You and I have very different way to rate how the X-men succeed at policing their own, they can barely handle some of the super-criminals whom just joigned their ranks this issue and how many times have they been defeated by some of them? Or too late to stop some of the crimes they committed? If anything, they have proven that 1. Yes, policing mutants was a necessity 2. They weren't good enough to do said policing.
    And please, don't go out of your way and try to make real world équivalents out of this, there is none. If your neighbor suddenly becomes christian or muslim, it won't kill you. If he suddenly develop super powers that he cannot control at first, he absolutely will put you in danger if said powers are Dangerous. Stop, thank you.
    There is no "targeting mutants", there is dealing with superhumans going uncontrollable or rogue, and mutants are well represented in that crowd. There are litterally people on Krakoa who killed/maimed people around them the first time their powers manifested… Contingencies against rogue mutants and mutants unable to handle the power they have when it manifests the first times, especially when they are among civils, are needed.
    Sentinels are just the obvious, historical, less-savory choice, whether you like it or not. It's also far easier to deploy them on multiple locations than have the Avengers being on roll-call duty for that. SHIELD has Sentinels, they absolutely could do that actually, they have the resources.
    Power dampeners is a better solution though, they should be installed in public areas to avoid the kind of accidental power outburst who can endanger everyone in the vicinity the first time said powers manifest. The technology is as old as comics themselves, but somehow Hickman forgot about this too when that UN vote took place.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

This post is good.

It should be read and enjoyed.

Astonishing Member

CLAP CLAP CLAP

It needed to be said honestly some of the post I've been reading since issue #1 makes me give some serious side-eye. The reaction to Cyclops trying to explain why mutants have had enough was especially telling.

Extraordinary Member

Holy crap, people need to stop taking their personal issues out on other forum members just reading a story.

Hickman left me speechless with the five reveal, I mean Goldballs? They're actually eggs!?!? I didn't see that coming at all. I'm glad he used Elixir and Hope as well.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Awesomeness
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)