Page 82 of 161 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2405

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Woman. And no, I wouldn't. I'm just not pretending superhumans aren't dangerous to people around them depending on the circumstances, and that includes mutants. You can pretend otherwise if you want.
    There is this scene in Logan where we learn that Xavier lost control of his power because of illness and killed a bunch of people including his former students as a result. That kind of incidents and other things like rogue mutants abusing their powers on other people is exactly the reason why I stand by what I said earlier. Sue me. Or make scathing remarks if you feel like it, I'm not exactly trying to win a popularity contest with crowd-pleasing opinions like mutants should roll over sapiens and the likes. No thanks.
    So are we not pretending the white male isn't dangerous when we don't prejudge them and say we need some sort of robot or program that can detect when a white male is going to do another mass shooting. You know for protection. I mean i get what your saying i think but it's no different than actual society and what happens when bad people do bad things. Anything can be made into a weapon if a person wants to do harm.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Woman. And no, I wouldn't. I'm just not pretending superhumans aren't dangerous to people around them depending on the circumstances, and that includes mutants. You can pretend otherwise if you want.
    There is this scene in Logan where we learn that Xavier lost control of his power because of illness and killed a bunch of people including his former students as a result. That kind of incidents and other things like rogue mutants abusing their powers on other people is exactly the reason why I stand by what I said earlier. Sue me. Or make scathing remarks if you feel like it, I'm not exactly trying to win a popularity contest with crowd-pleasing opinions like mutants should roll over sapiens and the likes. No thanks.
    My apologies for assuming gender there - I've since corrected the post.

I make no apologies for assuming you are currently setting X-men action figures on fire in your living room to symbolize how your hatred burns for the mutant gene, however

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I guess its just me... maybe a few others...

but this issue and just this issue (not the entire narrative that hickman is weaving)

Its poison.

This issue for all its awesome appearances and some of the coolest uses of powers since... hell just SINCE!

Its the story about the subjugation of the X-mens ideology, and the adoration of 1/2 everything they've stood against for all these years... the other half being staving off endless
    and needless editorial driven extinction plots.

Metaphorically its offensive, and maybe a bit "disgusting" if I'm honest.

So... the dream of MLK was wrong, the dream of the every Separatist Fredrick Douglas to Richard Spencer was right.

If that statement starts to build rage or contempt in you after a couple of moments consideration, then for quick second realize its good be alarmed.
    A feeling of outrage at your favorite heroes and their franchise being compared to the worst of the modern facists means youre still saying sane.

See I love the X-men, always have... the struggle to do what right even when the odds were against them is what made them heroes.

And I never understood why soooo many people would come and bitch about the characterization of the Illuminati in time runs out. I get it now though.

Hickman is a genius. Powerful writing. Elicits powerful emotions.

I didn't like seeing it.
    I didn't like seeing storm give a speech with all of mutantdom responding "SIEG HEIL!" (MUTANT!!!) but I could hear it NOT in Reverend Ororo T. Jakes speech but in that full old german shout back.

I didn't like the thing that unites mutantkind being

"I know lets just give our mutant villians everything they want!"

Magneto "Separatist Supremacist Nation"
    En Sabah Nur - Mutants United for Dominance of Earth
    Sinister - All the genetic engrams of all the mutants to "play with" ...

and yeah... there's mad men and cult leaders, cannibals, and vamipres... but hey we're all the same RACE!

Not like those filthy human* cockroaches outside. *but you can insert any people who were stepped on after a vengeful regime took power.

So as of right now this story... is about the Unified Fascist Mutant State. See... historically most fascism start with the justification "We are the injured party! So whatever we do from here is just come uppance"
    Followed by "HERE IS THE SUPERIORITY OF OUR CULTURE!"
    and then... the conflicts start... but you can tell by magnetos previous speeches he's still the same old tyrant thinking of mutants as "...their new Gods"

and yeah. . . I get it...

The Xmen needed a WIN... BADLY.

But ideologically, and dare I say... Heroically...

This is probbably the worst defeat I've EVER seen Xaviers dream suffer.*

... and I owned THIS book pretty early on
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_2_13

Well... at least wakanda is unconquered.

(X)
    Very well said and, I believe, may be the very point Jonathan Hickman is driving at.

From Xavier's perspective, he knows, thanks to Moira, that every avenue he's taken to achieve peaceful co-existence between humans and mutants has always failed at the hands of the Sentinels. Thus, in order to achieve his dream, Xavier has been doing very questionable things. Like forging alliances with their mutant villains. Like creating a separatist nation with a cult-like political structure. Like tampering with UN security council votes. Like offering amnesty to mutant criminals. All to give his fellow mutants an equal playing field on the world stage.

Yes, this is very, very unsettling. It's also not unlike how the vast majority of political leaders throughout history have built kingdoms, empires, and countries. Even those we historically laud as heroic statesmen or leaders have done very questionable actions, some even criminal, in order to achieve a "greater good" and "lasting peace." The same thing is happening with Xavier here. The danger, of course, in that in order to finally reach his dream, Xavier is sacrificing his own principles, his morality, and maybe his own humanity.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 09-19-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

As long as we are tip toeing i to real world politics...i wonder if people who are pro gun control via registry are also pro mutant registration...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    As long as we are tip toeing i to real world politics...i wonder if people who are pro gun control via registry are also pro mutant registration...
    How are they the same? Should we register humans with arms since some humans like to choke people?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    With all of their knowledge of Past lives i would think if his DNA was going to be important it couldn't have been that hard for moira to get a few samples. Also going by the notion of past lives and Moira keeps circling back to charles it's not unbelievable she could have been having an affair with him or married Joseph for other reasons.
    Oh, it's definitely possible Xavier is actually his dad. I wasn't trying to disagree with you so much as give another bit of thought on the topic.

But my understanding is that Proteus no longer has a body and I don't think they can create a new one. Since it was Xavier and Magneto who approached Sinister about the DNA records, we'd have to assume that took place after the scene when Moira and Charles first approached Magneto....and that was circa Uncanny #150. Proteus originally died in Uncanny #123 (or so, going off memory) so it would stand that they don't have any DNA to actually go off of. I don't think Moira can bring any of Joseph's DNA with her on her resurrection trip, so the only DNA of Kevin's they would have would be hers, and that would risk creating another person who would create a time loop upon dying.

However, Proteus is a unique case because he's a psychic entity at this point, and he occupies a host body, which then breaks down as he uses his power. So Xavier seems to have offered his own husks as a solution. Whether compatible DNA is required in this case isn't really known.

Having typed all that out I now feel insane.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Bah, who cares about flatscans getting all whiny over their once victims having nukes and having insane rallies?

Really, we should rather be laughing our asses off over the Kurt/Logan "radiant and with open arms" thingy going absolutely nowhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Bah, who cares about flatscans getting all whiny over their once victims having nukes and having insane rallies?

Really, we should rather be laughing our asses off over the Kurt/Logan "radiant and with open arms" thingy going absolutely nowhere.
    You can read that whole exchange as sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    Oh, it's definitely possible Xavier is actually his dad. I wasn't trying to disagree with you so much as give another bit of thought on the topic.

But my understanding is that Proteus no longer has a body and I don't think they can create a new one. Since it was Xavier and Magneto who approached Sinister about the DNA records, we'd have to assume that took place after the scene when Moira and Charles first approached Magneto....and that was circa Uncanny #150. Proteus originally died in Uncanny #123 (or so, going off memory) so it would stand that they don't have any DNA to actually go off of. I don't think Moira can bring any of Joseph's DNA with her on her resurrection trip, so the only DNA of Kevin's they would have would be hers, and that would risk creating another person who would create a time loop upon dying.

However, Proteus is a unique case because he's a psychic entity at this point, and he occupies a host body, which then breaks down as he uses his power. So Xavier seems to have offered his own husks as a solution. Whether compatible DNA is required in this case isn't really known.

Having typed all that out I now feel insane.
    Didn't moira use to have Proteus hooked up to machines though? and as a geneticist herself she may have some on file but it may be damaged or something. And also this is the only life that shows Proteus being born so definitely no past life dna to be had. But she's been studying genetics for over 500 years there has to be something there. lol. And your right about the compatible dna, xavier could just be doing it because he feels obligated since we have seen proteus take over other bodies. It could also be a measure to make sure he doesn't end up in a body of someone with too much power.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post

The whole presentation scene seemed pretty bright and radiant to me. And there were a lot of open arms.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    You can read that whole exchange as sarcasm.
    The whole presentation scene seemed pretty bright and radiant to me. And there were a lot of open arms.
    What Vegan Daddy said. Folks were all 'awww, what a powerful scene, totes gave me the feelz!', but really it was just Kurt teasing Logan for being such a melodramatic jackass, lol.

Fantastic Member

Different question: what if a mutant *wants* to be dead, and doesn't want to be resurrected and/or live forever as per "the dream"? I'll be fascinated to see this explored.

How are they the same? Should we register humans with arms since some humans like to choke people?
    The arguement as i understand it goes "guns especially y type or sub set of guns makes mass killing eaiser"

Now not every mutant has a scary power...but we can name like 100 easy who if the power was in the hands of a school shooter or mall shooter would easy wrack up 10x the death count...

That is just some nut job...think about a real scary planer...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Different question: what if a mutant *wants* to be dead, and doesn't want to be resurrected and/or live forever as per "the dream"? I'll be fascinated to see this explored.
    Also related...do they remember dying... i mean i know as comix readers we are blase...but think about scott remembering getting shot, or mystique remembering the vacuum...or god, poor jean.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    I am not going to step into that discussion directly... however, what I would put forward is that in a independent, secure and established mutant society such discussions would occur.

Well, actually, I would put forward that Xavier has already done so.