Page 118 of 161 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2405

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I think they granted the villains amnesty on Krakoa because a large number of them were more or less members of the Brotherhood or the Acolytes and they just wanted their own land for mutants at last.

There are very questionable mutants that were allowed on Krakoa but they will probably be watched carefully.
    That amnesty is granted based only on the genetic appartenance to mutantkind, not because some of those villains might share the same political vision than Xavier's current position.

Some of you mentioned Selene being allowed to get away with mass murder again, I think if she gets caught murdering innocents she will be executed or permanently imprisoned.

Sinister, I guarantee that Xavier and Magneto don't trust him, but better to have him on Krakoa where they can keep an eye on him rather than out in the world where he can cause trouble.
    This doesn't detract from the morality of pardoning mass murderers on this scale, and the kind of signal it sends about the kind of society the Kraked are setting up on their island. I used that example before but would anyone watching a terrorist of thousands be pardoned and welcomed into a new country thanks to his or her origin, not be outraged and disgusted by such a thing? Would a known serial killer walking out of court thanks to amnesty not cause massive public backlash? How is that not nightmare-fuelling level of worrisome? That's exactly what Sue of the FF vocalized. What are they thinking?

People are underestimating that a lot of governments may welcome Krakoa taking these mutant criminals that were hard to contain and imprison. It costs money to keep a super power being in prison and now Krakoa is offering to take them off your hands and allowing you to deport the bad and good mutants to Krakoa. Why not, hopefully the mutants will just kill each other and solve everyone's problem. I bet that's what the human governments are thinking, let them have their mutant criminals so we don't have to deal with them anymore.
    The politics of that choice are evident, of course. But on the ground, we saw how the people actually reacted to them, inside and outside the system. The FF were not impressed by the morality of such pardoning, and US agents were straight up against it, which is understandable. A killer of fellow citizens can now walk away from them without consequence.
    That IS disturbing.

Lol, what I am going to say next is going to make people think that Xavier and Magneto are true villains, Selene, Sinister, Emplate, et all are superweapons that can be unleashed when the time is right. When the humans make a big move against Krakoa then Xavier and Magneto can go to Selene and say "Hey Selene, babe, do you want to go to the United States and eat the souls of all the government officials for us."
    So this has nothing to do with coexistence and new beginnings if what you say turns out right, but opportunism and state pragmatism. It's understandable as a policy, but then you can hardly have people complain about the sapiens being themselves pragmatic and using weapons like Sentinels to protect themselves from this kind of rogue mutants. That's a two-way street.

So yeah, I think some of the villains are actually quite fine to let in, but I expect Xavier and Magneto know exactly how dangerous some of those mutants are and are intending to keep them as a nuclear option in case Krakoa is attacked by the human governments.

What the mutants are transitioning into is a "People" with a country, a culture, and a desire to protect their hard won peace at all costs. They are no longer just people in spandex trying their best to save people, they are a nation of people who trying to preserve their culture and way of life, their children, and their children's children. They are a nation!

LONG LIVE KRAKOA!
    And as such, they'll have to face the consequence of such policies, like other nations on Earth regularly do when their less savory policies become exposed. I also want to point out that IF the culture they are leaning toward end-up with moral standards different than those of the rest of the world, especially how already there's a discrepancy when considering the respective values of sapiens lives to mutants with that amnesty, well the alienation of them will be complete. Is Hickman aiming for that effect, for mutants to feel ALIEN to us? We'll see. That would make for both a brilliant writing, but a sad, gut-wrenching read.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Personality I find Karima’s presence there to be a pretty massive red flag. Karima ever since she was able to break free of her sentinel programming has been a great friend to the X-Men. She isn’t some mutant hater or anything of the like. And just with her statement to Nightcrawler in their meeting shows that whatever is going on with them and Krakoa, it’s enough where even their friends are feeling that they’re going down a dark path where they pose to become more of a threat than good. That or the sentinel programming is influencing her actions again.
    Isn’t that apparent from the text piece about the Omega Cycle? She was in the Union stage but is now in the Adaptation stage. No further explanation is needed.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I still do not rule out that Omega Sentinel is the same as that of the future with the chimeras and Nimrod.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    They should make clear who's older (and scarier), Selene or Apoc. Because right now they are pushing the "first mutant" narrative upon Apoc (and I'd be fine with that retcon honestly).

One thing I lolled at during the villain scene was when Selene came out of the gate with the skull in her hand. It was a fun declaration of intent. She was like "Hi, it's your gurl Selene, and I'm still eating people as shown by this skull in my hands".
    Wasn't Selene around during the Hyborean Age and personally knew Conan? (back when Marvel had the comic rights originally) Now that Marvel's back to making Conan comics...
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I still do not rule out that Omega Sentinel is the same as that of the future with the chimeras and Nimrod.
    I am almost positive that it is. She talks about Mutant and human incompatibility and suggests she lived with both and the talks of how they have become incompatible is a flip side to how she is man and machine in unity.

So there are both hints and structural writing reasons to assume she is the same character in a different timeline.

There is also the idea that she believes all of them are ‘headed’ (terrible pun) to a place nobody wants to go. A hell or oblivion. This suggests she is pessimistic and nihilistic and perhaps somehow relating this to Karima may help in some way. Similar to what Moira did with Erik but with a more stark outlook.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-22-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I am almost positive that it is. She talks about Mutant and human incompatibility and suggests she lived with both and the talks of how they have become incompatible is a flip side to how she is man and machine in unity.

So there are both hints and structural writing reasons to assume she is the same character in a different timeline.

There is also the idea that she believes all of them are ‘headed’ (terrible pun) to a place nobody wants to go. A hell or oblivion. This suggests she is pessimistic and nihilistic and perhaps somehow relating this to Karima may help in some way.
    Yes, I found it very casual that she, Rasputin and Cardinal commented on "Nobody knows what happens when you enter a singularity like Xorn."

Isn’t that apparent from the text piece about the Omega Cycle? She was in the Union stage but is now in the Adaptation stage. No further explanation is needed.
    I'd like to know how the sentinel tech was re activated as it was all removed from her after she was possessed by Arkea in Wood's X Men run and she became a normal human again.

Yes, I found it very casual that she, Rasputin and Cardinal commented on "Nobody knows what happens when you enter a singularity like Xorn."
    She claims to know. Again, structurally it would make sense that it is the place between Krakoa and Arakko, where the Twilight Sword of The Enemy tore the world asunder.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    I'd like to know how the sentinel tech was re activated as it was all removed from her after she was possessed by Arkea in Wood's X Men run and she became a normal human again.
    It would be trivial to suggest it was too late. That on some level it would be impossible to divide biology and technology at this stage. That even removing the sentinel tech would not alter the biological programming that it has set in motion and as such the machine part would re-emerge.

She claims to know. Again, structurally it would make sense that it is the place between Krakoa and Arakko, where the Twilight Sword of The Enemy tore the world asunder.
    Oooooh
    IMG_20190922_121312_132.jpg

"Tear the world asunder" is right, in-universe and out.

How much longer before IRL LCS shouting matches and, heaven forbid, rumbles.

"I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post

Any story that divides people is one worth telling. I did predict this back at the beginning before we saw a word of the story. That Hickman would inevitably be divisive. People were talking about him in messianic terms, everyone was projecting their wishes onto his hints. But even he suggested at some point fans might start throwing things at him.

Hickman seems to have embraced this division and deliberately put it into the story. The whole thing is about incompatible divisions coming together in new and complex ways or rift like divides.

To at least reassure a little, good writers set up incompatible divisions for only one purpose. To present a new status quo that squares the circle. It’s a mythological approach to story, and more so a structuralist approach. We are being told the myth of how mutants, humans and machines somehow end up reconciled.

Embrace the seemingly incompatible things happening. When people like me say Xavier is becoming a fascist it is us embracing the set-up and premise of this story. To point out why these actions might have happened and why it’s sensible or understandable is to miss the point. We are here, now. How we got here is relatively understandable but here is extreme and deliberately challenging. We are being provoked. That’s good.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-22-2019 at 03:50 AM.

What if the deliberate division gets out of hand and leads to rioting and bloodied foreheads in the streets?

And if we get thrown a curve ball and there IS NO RECONCILIATION planned?

Maybe it thrashes the current setting to reinstall a new one now that Disney has all cards (but Spidey, and Namor) in its hand, but wants a do-over.

Xavier offers them immortality.

Selene's biggest fear is getting old and dying. Xavier has offered her a way to avoid both.
    With Xavier's offer you still gotta die tho :/
    Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    There are people with the blood of thousands of individuals on their hands. Literally. Some of them killing not just by ideology but out of fun or a misguided sense of racial superiority.
    It's not much of a problem only if we ignore the moral implication of pardoning some of these mutant villains.
    Most mutant killers were brutalized and traumatized by humans some even were abused with the backing of human governments think they'll ever get a fair trail?You don't think there's blood on the hands of some Humans walking around freely? Instead of obsessing over the Mutant Nations morality humans should look at the human controlled society that produced them
    Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Selene did try to sacrifice an Island of mutant souls to become a goddess.
    yeah mostly dead Mutants tho who in turn died at the hands/machines of humans
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post

Not saying, I'd lump someone up but if I saw someone drinking out of a nimrod cup in my LCS I'd definitely scare them and make them spill their tea.

Krakoa forever.