Page 128 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2405

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

Worshipping flags, cult leaders, gods etc is so gross. Tone it down. The X-Men are thinkers.
    DUDE stealing this quote...
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Were you here for the IvX debates? This is nothing...

Lots of posters are no longer here.
    Oh I remember the great IvX debates....AvXone6 is what we old timers called it. Loooots of good people were lost. My brother Jimmy lost his leg. The (forum) WORLD barely survived. smdh
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean the quote is perfectly in character to something Magneto would say? Hickman has written over 300+ issues including his independent work I think we can forgive him from lifting certain quotes/story elements from his previous works since that's pretty much what all writers do.

This definitely has a different tone to his FF run and his New Avengers so I don't get the derivative criticism.
    He's done more than FF and Avengers.

Look at his Ultimates and it becomes very obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    He's done more than FF and Avengers.

Look at his Ultimates and it becomes very obvious
    Reason why it won't be an issue for me:
    My thoughts on comics....
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Yeah, deliberately posting signs in the native language is clearly offensive. Can you *believe* that Hong Kong often posts signs that *aren't English*!? The mind reels. How exclusionary. =)
    "native language"? Hardly. This "we just invented this new language and are clear to only implant the knowledge of how to speak it to people on our team" is quite a bit different. It's closer to encoded than native. Are humans free to learn it? Doubt it.

Oh and Hong Kong international airport has english so visitors don't get lost:

Kind of a key difference between welcoming and excluding, don't you think?
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 09-23-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    "native language"? Hardly. This "we just invented this new language and are clear to only implant the knowledge of how to speak it to people on our team" is quite a bit different. It's closer to encoded than native. Are humans free to learn it? Doubt it.

Only reason for the signs to be in anything other than the Mutant language is if a human was tryna navigate the land without a Mutant guide.Why would that be unless the human was plotting some devious sh!t?? I think it's More about self preservation than exclusion
    GrindrStone(D)

That is an airport a hub where people from different areas meet. Step out of an airport and see how many signs,You see after in a language you recognize.

Beside Krakoa isn't supposed to be welcoming to humans. I keeping these comments/arguments which hint at it is some sort of big deal of Krakoa exists that is closed off from humans. If after the Holocaust If Jews had a neighborhood/town that didn't want to invite Germans in we understand why right? If after Hiroshima if there was a town in Japan that didn't want Americans around we would understand right? Why it is so strange that safe haven against human oppression isn't welcoming to human. Krakoa isn't just a vanity project to show mutants have built their own nation. It is one part fallout shelter one part refugee camp. It is safe place if humans ever turn against mutants(which has happen several times now) It is safe place for mutants born an where to world to go because human countries haven't welcoming to mutants.

If humans didn't try push mutants to brink of extinction the wouldn't be need for Krakoa. One of the biggest complaints I have had with X-men is that mansion keeps blowing up and writers keep doing that so that mutants/X-men wouldn't feel safe. And the problem with that thinking is without a place to feel safe mutants have no choice but consider all options. When you corner someone they either curl up and submit or fight for their life.And now that X-men are fighting for their life people are shocked. This story is natural extension of the stories other X-men writers have been telling. It is weird to me people think you can't want peaceful coexistence but prepare like they are trying to wipe you off the planet. That was a big problem with X-men books before Hickman,The X-men looked like these fools who let their naivety and ideals get them killed. Why would a mutant trust the X-men to save them when they can't even protect themselves? What good is your ideals when you can't stop your people from dying? Look at the X-men stories over the years how many mutants have died while they were running around with "Xavier bright and beautiful dream of coexistence".

BANNED

You say it's cultish, I say it's simply mutants finally expressing pride in who and what they are.

Would you rather the villains be out in the world running amok and tarnishing Korakoa's name in the eyes of the world? Not that Xavier and Magneto really care, but politics are politics. They'll handle their own like every other nation on the planet.

"Superiority complex" what do you mean Magneto calling himself a God? When has Magneto ever not seem himself as a god?

What else?

Isn't that exactly what Sabertooth, Mystique, and Toad did when they stole that info and maimed those guards? Basically saying we'll take what we want screw you!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That is an airport a hub where people from different areas meet. Step out of an airport and see how many signs,You see after in a language you recognize.

Beside Krakoa isn't supposed to be welcoming to humans. I keeping these comments/arguments which hint at it is some sort of big deal of Krakoa exists that is closed off from humans. If after the Holocaust If Jews had a neighborhood/town that didn't want to invite Germans in we understand why right? If after Hiroshima if there was a town in Japan that didn't want Americans around we would understand right? Why it is so strange that safe haven against human oppression isn't welcoming to human. Krakoa isn't just a vanity project to show mutants have built their own nation. It is one part fallout shelter one part refugee camp. It is safe place if humans ever turn against mutants(which has happen several times now) It is safe place for mutants born an where to world to go because human countries haven't welcoming to mutants.

If humans didn't try push mutants to brink of extinction the wouldn't be need for Krakoa. One of the biggest complaints I have had with X-men is that mansion keeps blowing up and writers keep doing that so that mutants/X-men wouldn't feel safe. And the problem with that thinking is without a place to feel safe mutants have no choice but consider all options. When you corner someone they either curl up and submit or fight for their life.And now that X-men are fighting for their life people are shocked. This story is natural extension of the stories other X-men writers have been telling. It is weird to me people think you can't want peaceful coexistence but prepare like they are trying to wipe you off the planet. That was a big problem with X-men books before Hickman,The X-men looked like these fools who let their naivety and ideals get them killed. Why would a mutant trust the X-men to save them when they can't even protect themselves? What good is your ideals when you can't stop your people from dying? Look at the X-men stories over the years how many mutants have died while they were running around with "Xavier bright and beautiful dream of coexistence".
    But, Who was responsible for "No More Mutants? (Then a known mutant), Wanda Maximoff! Who was actually responsible for the Genoshan genocide? Cassandra Nova! Think about it...
    Last edited by Shreene; 09-23-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    But, Who was responsible for "No More Mutants? (Then a known mutant), Wanda Maximoff! Who was actually responsible for the Genoshan genocide? Cassandra Nova! Think about it...
    It is worth remembering that Wanda has been very clearly labelled as ‘other’ in this story. Clearly Hickman is doubling down on her not being a mutant.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Even if you are going with that theory which I don't feel like arguing against, Humans in situations all when mutants numbers are down go "Hey let's finish the job". It doesn't matter what starts it what humans do after is the important thing. I can bring up who started "the mutant cure" and Sentinels Program, Also General Callahan and O.N.E. The point remains the same if humans didn't try to push mutants to brink of extinction this wouldn't be happening.

This story is a result of X-men franchise consistently pushing extinction or extreme hate narrative. To break the X-men out of the cycle you need to push that narrative to as far you can push it so that it can be put down for a while. Hopefully at some point in this storyline the X-men and Krakoa save the world and it push a new era of peace between mutants and humans. But as long they keep pushing the extreme hate and fear narrative the X-men are forced to be this combative against humans.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-23-2019 at 03:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Even if you are going with that theory which I don't feel like arguing against, Humans in situations all when mutants numbers are down go "Hey let's finish the job". It doesn't matter what starts it what humans do after is the important thing. I can bring up who started "the mutant cure" and Sentinels Program, Also General Callahan and O.N.E. The point remains the same if humans didn't try to push mutants to brink of extinction this wouldn't be happening.
    Oh, you mean just like thousand years ago in Akkaba when an awaken Apocalypse was running around killing everyone and everything in sight (See: Rise of Apocalypse 1-4) -- he was fighting against mutant oppression? Yes, I know... You don't feel like arguing

BANNED

I wonder if anyone can come up with any alternative to the current premise that could be adopted by the mutants which can end the hostilities without sacrificing the ideals. Would be interesting to see what game plan could be adopted by mutants instead of the current one without compromise.

You have to couple that with actions, however, where in that same scene he also made it clear that no ambassadors where going to set foot there, and this was after a "walk through" where they not only demonstrate that the transportation seeds only work on mutants, but that they deliberately posted signage in a foreign language.

Your right: exceptions can be made. But the ground rules are pretty clear: no humans aloud. They've actively engineered exclusion beyond mere protection.
    Not what he said. He effectively said “Krakoa is ours” nation building, not exclusion zone making. I wouldn’t have allowed those ambassadors into a disputed territory either. Doesn’t mean for example as some people have asked that Shogo can’t live on the island, or that trusted people can’t visit.

Until the book actually says this let’s assume it’s not what was intended.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Krakoa might be the best thing for mutants but holding out candy (Krakoan gifts) with one hand while holding a Katana in the other isn't the way to achieve peace love and harmony. Remember how the Civil War started?

If there are hostilities I am sure they will be because AIM or some government is going to want to steal Krakoa technology.

However you feel is totally fine. I'm just saying that after years of being tortured by the humans of the MU mutants have finally taken true a stance of solidarity and it confuses me as to why some people see them as villains, a cult, or my favorite "the thing they always fought against" when all they've done is play the humans political game and destroy a murderbot.
    It’s simple. They are being written that way. This isn’t by accident. This is provocation by the writer. He is throwing in the danger signs on purpose. He wants us to have this argument.

We would be better off seeing it neutrally. Seeing why we are in this position and also what a potentially problematic position this is, but it is human nature to see things more simply. It takes careful craft to provoke this kind of debate. That’s the skill of Hickman at play.

Me, I see this as an extremist, borderline fascist state of affairs. But I love that. It’s great fun. It’s challenging and provocative and that’s what I want from comics.

I have no time for apologists seeking to hand wave away the controversy, not because I don’t get it, but because it’s there in the page to be celebrated not to be denied and pushed aside.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-23-2019 at 03:48 AM.