Page 154 of 161 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2405
    Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    As customers we should be able to complain when we're getting things we consider sub-par. Especially if the writers are unprofessional
    Hickman? Unprofessional? Oh boy.
    Only vocal minority doesn’t like this book.

if you're complaining about Hickman now you had better have been saying something when Bendis was crapping all over the books.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    if you're complaining about Hickman now you had better have been saying something when Bendis was crapping all over the books.
    Well his Jean was a Super Saiyan so...
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I hate Bendis (as a writer) with a huge passion. Along with Jason Aaron, Loeb, Daniel Way, Greg Pak, Charles Soule, Howard Chaykin, and Paul Cornell, to name a few. lol

I don't hate Hickman but I'm not blown away either. Far as characters go, he's 50/50 for me. I still prefer Bunn to Hickman so far.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Emma was right

Just because you pay a ridiculous six dollars for a twenty-page comic doesn’t mean that a writer is obligated to fulfill all your desires. As said earlier, this comic is not called ‘Jean Gray’.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

How has Jonathan Hickman been unprofessional?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Just because you pay a ridiculous six dollars for a twenty-page comic doesn’t mean that a writer is obligated to fulfill all your desires. as said earlier, this comic is not called Jean Gray.
    It's easy to say that when you're getting your way. Now. But when it was Emma being humiliated or character assassinated, there was just as much whining.
    • Emma fans complained for years.
    • Storm fans complained for years.
    • Creed fans have complained for years. (in his thread & more on other sites)
    • Now Jean's fans are complaining.
    I don't care about Jean but empathize with her fans. Just like Emma fans weren't happy at her being sold short. We know yt only takes one bad story or writer to destroy a character.

Morrison made Jean & Emma rivals. When a writer has both rival characters under their pen & only gives good showings to one of them, it leads to war of the fanbases . Rather than the writer playing on the strengths & weaknesses of both, and making them evenly matched, their fav becomes a Mary Sue & the other is a Butt-Monkey.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-26-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    How has Jonathan Hickman been unprofessional?
    He kept writing Moria instead of Moira.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    He kept writing Moria instead of Moira.
    Oh, right. That makes sense.

Oh, right. That makes sense.
    Maybe Gandalf and Charles swapped places and now we are all on a journey to Mines of Moria!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

We follow medium where there's a new writer alll the time, that's the nature of it.
    They created hundreds of characters because its a 80 year old story.
    Every writer uses some of the characters, in a different role, to tell their own story.
    Seems people pick favorites, and then get disappointed when their roles shift.

We made a commitment to the Xmen. The title is called Xmen. Not Cyclops. Not Wolverine. Not Maggot.

Rogue is my "favorite", I didnt like how she's being written for the past like 5 years. I just didnt buy those issues, and Im waiting for the next role shift, not complaining about it because Rogue is appealing to new audiences. No one owes me anything. Im not selfish. Rogue doesnt belong to me. She'll come back around. Everything is mutable in comics. What doesnt work, gets burned away by the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    We follow medium where there's a new writer alll the time, that's the nature of it.
    They created hundreds of characters because its a 80 year old story.
    Every writer uses some of the characters, in a different role, to tell their own story.
    Seems people pick favorites, and then get disappointed when their roles shift.

We made a commitment to the Xmen. The title is called Xmen. Not Cyclops. Not Wolverine. Not Maggot.

Rogue is my "favorite", I didnt like how she's being written for the past like 5 years. I just didnt buy those issues, and Im waiting for the next role shift, not complaining about it because Rogue is appealing to new audiences. No one owes me anything. Im not selfish. Rogue doesnt belong to me. She'll come back around. Everything is mutable in comics. What doesnt work, gets burned away by the next guy.
    You don't have to wait too long either because Rogue is an ongoing part of Excalibur.

I think one of the things I like best about Hickman is that he truly wants to use some of the characters who have been sidelined for a while. Sure I wish Rachel would get featured more, but at the same time I am excited to see what Hickman does with other characters who haven't had much love for a while.

Maybe we'll get to see Madelyne again, maybe Dazzler and Sage will team up like they did in that cross universe series. And OMG Sage is actually back again and she was one of my favourite characters. What will Sage, Bishop, Storm, Emma, and Sebastian talk about when they are sitting in the cafeteria at the same table? What will Robert say to Sage and Sebastian?

There are so many old dynamics that can show up again with all these characters thrown together on the island. It's not even just about Sebastian and Emma, it's Sebastian and Sage, Sebastian and Robert. And that's just one character.

What is the conversation with Kurt, Mystique, Destiny, and Rogue going to be like?

Are Jean and Emma going to glare at each other over coffee or will Emma decide to be gracious for once and ask Jean if she wants to go shopping together in Australia (closest to Krakoa I think?)
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    As customers we should be able to complain when we're getting things we consider sub-par. Especially if the writers are unprofessional & write characters based on their personal feelings or what's convenient rather than making them accurate.

If you went to a restaurant and your food had hair in it, would it be ok because you should just enjoy you got any food when you got it? Same if you pay a surgeon to do something & they screw it up or do it the way they think it works instead of how you wanted it, I am sure most would sue. lol

In the end taste is all subjective. Some people are plot & story oriented. Others are character oriented. Nobody is wrong, but it's just what they like. So people have higher standards in certain areas they care more about.
    Surely you see the dissonance in this... what Hickman is doing falls in the realm of subjective taste, while hair in food is objectively not meant to be there, and medical malpractice and obviously reason to sue.

The money you pay for a comic doesn’t entitle you to dictate the story. It doesn’t make it a defective product just because you don’t enjoy an aspect of it that other people reasonably would enjoy. Mischaracterization would have to be pretty wild for it to be anything like a comic equivalent of medical malpractice.... like, I don’t know, if the covers were the same and everything inside was about Jean starting a jam band in Des Moines and never mentioning being a mutant? It might take less than that, but you get my point!

Everything in HOX/POX so far is within the normal bounds of what happens in serialized storytelling when characters are shared by hundreds of creators across decades. Oftentimes a new writer is reacting to the comics that directly preceded them first and foremost, but seemingly just as often, they’re finding their own personal angle on the heart of a character throughout the whole of their history, while treating the run before them like... ‘well, I’ll acknowledge you if appropriate and won’t directly retcon you unless you made a character unusable.’ (see: Magneto post-Morrison.)

Really big stories have a little more leeway to go the route where the comics that directly preceded them are less of a factor. Hickman’s use of Jean so far reminds me in some ways of Whedon with Kitty, following X-Treme X-Men / Mekanix. Astonishing was going to be such a big story that there was no reason it should have to include Kitty being a tattooed bartender etc., while those of us who read those can still appreciate her weird edgy phase, lol.

Hickman isn’t contradicting X-Men Red, all that stuff still happened. The situation is different enough that 1:1 behavior doesn’t necessarily apply, though everyone’s suspension of disbelief will be different. The main thing is that X-Men Red was specifically made to be a Jean spotlight above all else, and likely always had a finite amount of time to do what it needed to do. Hickman is using Jean as a member of an ensemble that he has years of plans for, so he can’t have her solving everything in her first issues. I totally understand if her role so far hasn’t been gratifying in the same way as other character-specific fandoms have felt serviced, but I think that’s a long way from saying he’s failing in his duties or misusing the character. She’s already been featured more than a lot of major characters, which suggests to me that she’s a part of Hickman’s long term plans even if she hasn’t gotten any showstopping moments yet.

I read on a comic book message board on the Internet that some Jean Grey fans are unhappy. Is this true?
    Lol can someone answer this question !

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I read on a comic book message board on the Internet that some Jean Grey fans are unhappy. Is this true?
    Fake news.

ZAzsf.jpg
    "Cable was right!"