Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Or Didio thought putting Wally West through the ringer would generate a lot of attention and sales, but because he doesn't understand why fans love him, he wildly miscalculated and is trying to course correct now. I think he also understands the sales benefit in drawing these things out, so when things return to the status quo. Fans get excited, sales spike, then sales start to slide again, so they get fans upset again when the rug gets pulled out from under them, which also temporarily spikes sales. This has been the yin and yang of superhero comics for decades.

I don't think it's a particularly good narrative cycle, but I suppose it's proven successful enough for both Marvel & DC that they keep doing it.

I think it's far more likely that Didio views Wally fans as a particularly passionate fanbase that he can keep on the hook with big stunts like bringing him back as a bad guy, crippling him, and sending him to prison to join the Suicide Squad. It's stupid and counter-productive, but I don't see malice on Didio's part, just an opportunity to get fans upset.
    Go back 2 posts, then.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

So, your theory is that Didio knows he screwed up, but is doubling down out of spite and deliberately trying to alienate and insult his customers with no conceivable benefit to himself or the corporation that employs him?
    This seems more like an issue Marvel has than DC. Personally I think Didio is more ignorant than malicious on some of these boneheaded decisions like what happened to Wally in Heroes in Crisis.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Go back 2 posts, then.
    Ha! Yeah, we're going in circles again, so I'll do you one better and go back to where I said I wasn't going to try to convince you of anything this time (before of course getting roped in yet again). We're never going to see the same thing here.

Astonishing Member

Or Didio thought putting Wally West through the ringer would generate a lot of attention and sales, but because he doesn't understand why fans love him, he wildly miscalculated and is trying to course correct now. I think he also understands the sales benefit in drawing these things out, so when things return to the status quo. Fans get excited, sales spike, then sales start to slide again, so they get fans upset again when the rug gets pulled out from under them, which also temporarily spikes sales. This has been the yin and yang of superhero comics for decades.

I don't think it's a particularly good narrative cycle, but I suppose it's proven successful enough for both Marvel & DC that they keep doing it.

I think it's far more likely that Didio views Wally fans as a particularly passionate fanbase that he can keep on the hook with big stunts like bringing him back as a bad guy, crippling him, and sending him to prison to join the Suicide Squad. It's stupid and counter-productive, but I don't see malice on Didio's part, just an opportunity to get fans upset.
    This doesn't make any sense because Didio spent years keeping Wally out of comics to the best of his ability. He's clearly willing to sacrifice sales to bury Wally.

BANNED

Did Tom king request Wally for the story or was it a editorially mandated decision?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Did Tom king request Wally for the story or was it a editorially mandated decision?
    King has mentioned editorial picked Booster, Harley, and Wally for him. He just came up with the concept for the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    King has mentioned editorial picked Booster, Harley, and Wally for him. He just came up with the concept for the story.
    Thanks for the info.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    This doesn't make any sense because Didio spent years keeping Wally out of comics to the best of his ability. He's clearly willing to sacrifice sales to bury Wally.
    Not just Wally but a lot of fan favorites.

Ha! Yeah, we're going in circles again, so I'll do you one better and go back to where I said I wasn't going to try to convince you of anything this time (before of course getting roped in yet again). We're never going to see the same thing here.
    Yeah, well, your theory is that a notoriously petty man has a well-thought strategy that includes alienating creators, antagonizing fans and creating disinterest on the line long term, all in the interest of exploring an unpredictable sales pattern, which, as a master strategist, he's able to do so with simulated jerk-like attitudes. And all of this spans for about 15 years, which should also award him an oscar for the quality of his acting.

My theory is "notoriously petty man is being petty"

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Yes, Didio tried to dump Wally, along with Dick Grayson and other characters he views are redundant or unnecessary, a few times, but he soon learned that the fanbase for those characters are passionate enough that he could use them as a way of generating controversy in hopes of goosing sales. I would guess this is why Didio wanted to bring back Wally as a villain during the New 52, which was guaranteed to get fans up in arms and get lots of attention, which would inevitably turn into a redemption arc for Wally into his more classic role, which would then bring more attention to the comic while placating Wally's fans before starting the cycle yet again. It's one of the oldest tricks in the comic book game, particularly at Marvel in the 70s (which Didio clearly takes a lot of his cues from). Shock readers with some outrageous stunt to get them upset, then make everyone happy again by putting everything back to normal again.

Again, I think this is stupid way of making comics, and it's blown up in Didio's face many, many times, but it's a tried and true formula that comics fans fall for over and over again...and we're falling for again with Flash Forward. The only thing that matters to me is whether or not it makes for a good story. Thus far, Flash Forward looks like it's off to a good start. If the second issue is also good, I'm on board for the whole ride, even though I know Didio is playing us all once again.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

My theory is "notoriously petty man is being petty"
    You could very well be right, but I'm sticking to my theory of "notoriously chaotic editor makes a bunch of bad decisions, then makes things better, only to make things worse again because he doesn't really get why people were upset in the first place"....it's a bit convoluted, I'll grant you

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This seems more like an issue Marvel has than DC. Personally I think Didio is more ignorant than malicious on some of these boneheaded decisions like what happened to Wally in Heroes in Crisis.
    I tend to think most people fall into the boneheaded rather than malicious box. The world is certainly full of petty, cruel people doing petty, cruel things, but a lot of the time it's simply ignorant people doing ignorant things who don't fully appreciate the consequences of their actions. Although, I fully appreciate this is a distinction that makes little difference when actual heinous $#!* has been committed.

In the case of creative decisions made about fictional comic book characters, I'm a little more forgiving and willing to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to maliciousness towards made-up people.

You could very well be right, but I'm sticking to my theory of "notoriously chaotic editor makes a bunch of bad decisions, then makes things better, only to make things worse again because he doesn't really get why people were upset in the first place"....it's a bit convoluted, I'll grant you
    It falls apart when you look at almost 15 years in which he never made things better.

He allowed for someone else to do so, when he was desperate and begging for help, yes; and after that he promptly turned everything into **** again.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

What I find in equal measure both interesting AND infuriating is Didio's obvious disdain for the legacy heroes.
    As the man in charge of the DC Universe I find it incredible that his personal preference is somehow law.
    I would have thought running a company that publishes literature would mean you would be open to publishing ANYTHING that may sell copies.
    NOT taking characters or concepts you dislike out of the toybox and not let anyone play with them.
    DC/Warner is an interesting complicated beast...
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Back on topic, although I HATE the starting point (and the nonsensical Wally in regular prison. WTF?) I can see a glimmer of light at the end of tunnel.
    The HiC excrement has been addressed, now lets move on and tell a good Wally West Flash story!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.