Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Sure. If calling Didio a jerk makes you feel better, go right ahead. I'll stick to criticizing his editorial screw-ups. Making it personal doesn't really interest me, because I don't really know the man. I don't know how many of the many rumors that have circulated about him are true. Some of them probably are, some of them probably aren't. He's certainly a guy who knows how to piss people off, but he's also been the guy in charge while some of my favorite DC stuff has gotten published.

Didio's reign has been very similar to Jim Shooter's at Marvel, who was, by many reports, an insufferable dictatorial jerk, but one oversaw some of the best stuff that company has ever produced. When the results Shooter was producing weren't worth it anymore, he got replaced. I'm sure the same will be true of Didio, even if he's proven himself to be a more politically savvy corporate animal than Shooter ever was.
    Your point was that Didio "loves to play the heel," but if he loves being an ******* to certain people that is still just being an *******.

I don't see how insulting fans is savvy corporate maneuvering. This isn't just behind the scenes personality clashes.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-28-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Your point was that Didio "loves to play the heel," but if he loves being an ******* to certain people that is still just being an *******.

I don't see how insulting fans is savvy corporate maneuvering. This isn't just behind the scenes personality clashes.
    But I don't think Didio is even trying to deliberately insult Wally fans, just as he's not trying to insult Dick Grayson fans. Like I said, he's just clueless about why fans love those characters and keeps trying to "fix" them. As for "playing the heel". I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. A guy who loves playing the heel in the WWE is not actually an ******* (well, not necessarily), but he loves playing to the crowd. Didio's biggest mistake is thinking that the fans he's teased in the past were in on the joke, when those people took him deadly seriously (as comic geeks tend to do). If you think he was just being malicious, you can certainly do so, but I don't see much reason for him to do so. Didio seems to have a pretty think skin. I don't think he takes any of the insults that get hurled at him regularly very seriously, but he's learned the hard way that you can't tease fans back, because punching down is never a good look.

I agree that a lot of the moves he makes are very savvy, but since he still has his job, despite all his many screw ups, he must be pretty adept at navigating the corporate hierarchy at Warner Bros. Otherwise, they would have fired him already.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-28-2019 at 07:04 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

But I don't think Didio is even trying to deliberately insult Wally fans, just as he's not trying to insult Dick Grayson fans. Like I said, he's just clueless about why fans love those characters and keeps trying to "fix" them. I agree that a lot of the moves he makes are very savvy, but since he still has his job, despite all his many screw ups, he must be pretty adept at navigating the corporate hierarchy at Warner Bros. Otherwise, they would have fired him already.
    Ahem! Cough! Cough! RIP "Wally west, — god rest his soul"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Ahem! Cough! Cough! RIP "Wally west, — god rest his soul"
    No doubt that Didio has said stupid stuff that got fans upset. He's said stuff that's gotten pros upset. From all reports, he's a loud, gregarious New Yorker who often puts his foot in his mouth. However, he's still kept his job, so he must be doing something right in order to do so. There's no doubt plenty of people who'd love to take Didio's job, yet he's still standing.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

No doubt that Didio has said stupid stuff that got fans upset. He's said stuff that's gotten pros upset. From all reports, he's a loud, gregarious New Yorker who often puts his foot in his mouth. However, he's still kept his job, so he must be doing something right in order to do so. There's no doubt plenty of people who'd love to take Didio's job, yet he's still standing.
    Has anyone advanced the naked photos theory yet?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

That and he knows where the bodies are buried.

Astonishing Member

But I don't think Didio is even trying to deliberately insult Wally fans, just as he's not trying to insult Dick Grayson fans. Like I said, he's just clueless about why fans love those characters and keeps trying to "fix" them. As for "playing the heel". I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. A guy who loves playing the heel in the WWE is not actually an ******* (well, not necessarily), but he loves playing to the crowd. Didio's biggest mistake is thinking that the fans he's teased in the past were in on the joke, when those people took him deadly seriously (as comic geeks tend to do). If you think he was just being malicious, you can certainly do so, but I don't see much reason for him to do so. Didio seems to have a pretty think skin. I don't think he takes any of the insults that get hurled at him regularly very seriously, but he's learned the hard way that you can't tease fans back, because punching down is never a good look.

I agree that a lot of the moves he makes are very savvy, but since he still has his job, despite all his many screw ups, he must be pretty adept at navigating the corporate hierarchy at Warner Bros. Otherwise, they would have fired him already.
    Wrestling is performative. It is a show. They are actors following a narrative, not real life people interacting with real life people with no auspice of fiction involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wrestling is performative. It is a show. They are actors following a narrative, not real life people interacting with real life people with no auspice of fiction involved.
    And somebody needs to keep reminding Didio of that

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

If memory serves, something similar was circulating regarding Eddie Berganza's ability to retain his job until Diane Nelson decided the bad press could impact the Wonder Woman movie's press tour. Who knows if any of that is true though.

I honestly have no idea how Didio keeps from getting fired, so he must be doing something right in the eyes of his WB corporate overlords.

If memory serves, something similar was circulating regarding Eddie Berganza's ability to retain his job until Diane Nelson decided the bad press could impact the Wonder Woman movie's press tour. Who knows if any of that is true though.

I honestly have no idea how Didio keeps from getting fired, so he must be doing something right in the eyes of his WB corporate overlords.
    He got the job in the first place because he was willing to run DC the way WB wanted whereas before DC enjoyed some level of autonomy under Levitz. I assume that’s why he still holds his position.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He got the job in the first place because he was willing to run DC the way WB wanted whereas before DC enjoyed some level of autonomy under Levitz. I assume that’s why he still holds his position.
    Yeah, being able to play ball with corporate is the best reason I can see for why he's had the job as long as he has.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

He has done a lot of things right, all of which are unsubstantial for this conversation.

The many times he got all defensive (and, if we're honest, pissy and whinny) during lots and lots and lots of interviews over the last 15 years prove he is not as impervious to criticism to his choices as you say. It also proves he is pretty aware of them.

And the several times that he got dismissive, confrontational or damn right antagonistic with fans over the things covered here also prove his misfires on certain properties are completely intentional.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    He has done a lot of things right, all of which are unsubstantial for this conversation.

The many times he got all defensive (and, if we're honest, pissy and whinny) during lots and lots and lots of interviews over the last 15 years prove he is not as impervious to criticism to his choices as you say. It also proves he is pretty aware of them.

And the several times that he got dismissive, confrontational or damn right antagonistic with fans over the things covered here also prove his misfires on certain properties are completely intentional.
    So, your theory is that Didio knows he screwed up, but is doubling down out of spite and deliberately trying to alienate and insult his customers with no conceivable benefit to himself or the corporation that employs him?

That seems highly unlikely to me, but please keep in mind that I didn't think America would elect Trump either. I frequently have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of people doing stuff that goes against their own self-interests.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

So, your theory is that Didio knows he screwed up, but is doubling down out of spite and deliberately trying to alienate and insult his customers with no conceivable benefit to himself or the corporation that employs him?
    Yup, he's petty like that.

And as long as it doesn't hurt the bottom-line too much, he's free to do so.

When it is hurting the bottom-line too much, we get stuff like Rebirth.

And then when he's "safe" again we get stuff like HiC.

Or do you REALLY think that he looked at at Tom King's pitch and went "oh, you know which character would benefit from this bullshit? Wally West!". Please...
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 09-29-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yup, he's petty like that.

And as long as it doesn't hurt the bottom-line too much, he's free to do so.

When it is hurting the bottom-line too much, we get stuff like Rebirth.

And then when he's "safe" again we get stuff like HiC.

Or do you REALLY think that he looked at at Tom King's pitch and went "oh, you know which character would benefit from this bullshit? Wally West!". Please...
    Or Didio thought putting Wally West through the ringer would generate a lot of attention and sales, but because he doesn't understand why fans love him, he wildly miscalculated and is trying to course correct now. I think he also understands the sales benefit in drawing these things out, so when things return to the status quo. Fans get excited, sales spike, then sales start to slide again, so they get fans upset again when the rug gets pulled out from under them, which also temporarily spikes sales. This has been the yin and yang of superhero comics for decades.

I don't think it's a particularly good narrative cycle, but I suppose it's proven successful enough for both Marvel & DC that they keep doing it.

I think it's far more likely that Didio views Wally fans as a particularly passionate fanbase that he can keep on the hook with big stunts like bringing him back as a bad guy, crippling him, and sending him to prison to join the Suicide Squad. It's stupid and counter-productive, but I don't see malice on Didio's part, just an opportunity to get fans upset.