Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Dude this is horrible. You bring Jor El back, turn him into a villain, then send him back to Krypton when it explodes. Lame lame lame. I haven't felt this flat about a story since I saw Rian Johnson Last Jedi. Please tell me Bendis is gonna leave Superman soon, I'm begging ya. Superman needs a serious reboot.
    Which writer did each of these? It runs together for me. I know Mister Oz was earlier, but can't recall when the Jor-El reveal was.

I agree the story is poor, though. It's the family stuff that really kills me with Bendis. Red Cloud was kinda interesting. Seeing more the DP could be great.* But Lois and Clark and Jon have just been bad. Clark so far has gotten off better than the other two, IMO, but not working for me.

* I really like the idea of seeing Jimmy as a competent professional hearkening back to the bronze age or even the radio show. And newspaper staff can have interesting stories on their own. I mean, bronze age had some of those in Superman Family, and frankly the old Green Hornet radio serials did some great stuff with the newspaper environment crossing over with the hero one (wish I knew of an active forum for that version).

He has reasons to be cautious of superman. And being a spy ofcourse he is going to have to lie "Everybody lies" . Lois is as thickheaded as sam is. Maybe even more so. If someone in your family is on the otherside of the spectrum, very much set in his views. It's best to not bring it to the dinner table. Lois and sam both do that. That's why it never works out for them.
    That's sort of the mindset I prefer for Sam. Not trusting, but not hating Superman. Just treating him as a potential threat. Not xenophobic, abusive, or evil. But definitely at loggerheads with Lois over what the public should know. I've definitely disliked some versions/characterizations of him.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.

So what I'm hearing here is...yeah. Clark and Lois were complete idiots for trusting this guy with their kid xD

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    So what I'm hearing here is...yeah. Clark and Lois were complete idiots for trusting this guy with their kid xD
    LOL, yep. Tell me again why Jurgens was kicked off for Bendis lol, I need to know why. All I see is hype that really is a gimmick that fizzles out to a big Super Meh.

There really was no point, because when they finally decided on a direction for whom the original concept of character (Mr.Oz) would end up being, it was supposed to tie heavily into a massive event that is barely canon anymore. Hence the unceremonious and disappointing end to the whole plot point.

I expect a very similar and very unsatisfying end to the Flashpoint Batman plotline over in Batman too, for instance.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Action Comics #999
    The text at the bottom of the last page says #1000 is the next issue, now I feel silly for asking. The other page has a different artist, is it also from #999?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There really was no point, because when they finally decided on a direction for whom the original concept of character (Mr.Oz) would end up being, it was supposed to tie heavily into a massive event that is barely canon anymore. Hence the unceremonious and disappointing end to the whole plot point.

I expect a very similar and very unsatisfying end to the Flashpoint Batman plotline over in Batman too, for instance.
    Batdad is going to die. It was teased from the end of I Am Gotham arc that “Batman would die”. I’d put money on that being Thomas.

It is appalling that they've been allowed to ruin such an iconic character as Jor-El without even a good story.
    It also is very strange that both Jor-El and Thomas Wayne have been alive and awful villains at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It is appalling that they've been allowed to ruin such an iconic character as Jor-El without even a good story.
    It also is very strange that both Jor-El and Thomas Wayne have been alive and awful villains at the same time.
    DC likes doing that with parents, it seems. It's happened in Alura in the past and with Zor-El more recently. Hippolyta isn't exactly exempt, either. Wally's and Iris's dads, too, but really neither was iconic, and Bob/Rudy really wasn't even much of character before. Still didn't like any of the changes, though. Though only the Kryptonians I listed were previously dead before evilness.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    To be fair, Thomas is an alternate universe version of himself. Damian calls him out on this.

I’m entirely in the dark about whatever the current Wonder Woman comics are doing. But if I were, I’m not sure things are looking good for dear old Hippolyta. You know dc is back on the ‘heroes can’t have living parents mindset’ when Batman can’t even have fricking Alfred around anymore.

I sort of find it a bit humorous that people in certain places, are actually upset that Bendis put Jor-El back. When these very same people were upset and questioning why he was brought back at all. Either, I never liked that they brought him back, and he has not done anything to really warrant being brought back. I still hold on to the belief that he was brought back for shock value. There isn't much to be done with Jor-El, nor should there be. He's a character that's served his purpose in Superman's history, similar to Uncle Ben for Spider-Man. He's a brilliant scientist, who discovered his world was on the brink of destruction, yet was called a liar and out of love sent his son away to save him That's who he's been for almost 80 years, no need to change that. Being brought back has not benefited his character at all, and I doubt it would have even if he stayed alive.

I'm not upset he was put back. I'm upset he was put back without restoring his legacy. If anything it was damaged further with the Rogol reveal. I don't want a Jor-El going forward who was, despite being mind-controlled, a genocidal maniac on Earth, and who once upon a time created the very creature that destroyed Krypton. Its not sustainable, it never was from the word go. It needs to go back to the way it was that Jor-El died with Lara when Krypton exploded. Not that his future self is just sent back in time to die with them both. Literally reversing things most often is lazy and contrived, I get that. But when an idea is bad enough, sometimes its also necessary. This applies, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-19-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm not upset he was put back. I'm upset he was put back without restoring his legacy. If anything it was damaged further with the Rogol reveal. I don't want a Jor-El going forward who was, despite being mind-controlled, a genocidal maniac on Earth, and who once upon a time created the very creature that destroyed Krypton. Its not sustainable, it never was from the word go. It needs to go back to the way it was that Jor-El died with Lara when Krypton exploded. Not that his future self is just sent back in time to die with them both. Literally reversing things most often is lazy and contrived, I get that. But when an idea is bad enough, sometimes its also necessary. This applies, in my opinion.
    Oh, I agree. I really wonder what the actual purpose was of bringing him back, and then desecrating his legacy. From the beginning this was a bad idea. I don't know what Geoff was thinking, since he had to have had this in mind when he introduced Mr Oz. Either this is a story that should be retconned. Maybe after all this Manhattan business is dealt with, they can fix all his changes including taking Jor-El. Not sure what's to be done with Rogol, though. I'd hope he's a character that's forgotten or at least his origin is changed, though I doubt either of those things will happen.
    Last edited by GSman; 09-19-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

It could almost work by making it more complicated. Have the Mr. Oz version be the Jor-El with all the negative baggage (via time travel) and state that the original Jor-El who died with Lara (seen this issue) had no part in it.

Basically the classic Jor-El (dying Krypton and all) existed up until the point he was removed to become Mr. Oz. The Jor-Oz version was sent back far enough in time to plot out Rogol Zaar and the deal with the Circle. All the evil Jor stuff is in a time-loop that can be removed at any point just by preventing Jor from being rescued.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So much for "putting out fires in his baby clothes" being inconsequential. It created a world united. While, jor el's nonsense got his world destroyed. So, i guess it's deliberate. And "the never ending battle" surges on.
    Edit-i wonder if jon knew about this. If he did maybe that's why he ran.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-19-2019 at 01:57 AM.