Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

No preview yet, hope we get one tomorrow

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Weird art. I'm torn about the focus on Hank and Logan. Pre Scott drama I liked both of them a lot, especially Hank. I hope they're their old selves.

BANNED

If I dont get a Sage cover Im gonna mcfreakin lose it.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    What makes you think they don't? Jean has been synonymous with the Phoenix for over 30 years. Just because she isn't always the central star of a story doesn't change that.
    I'm curious exactly which series or stories has Jean EVER been the central star of. You seem to truly believe this based on this being your response anytime Jean is brought up. So please elaborate further in the last ten years which stories or specifically which story arcs that you believe Jean somehow "stole" the focus?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I'm curious exactly which series or stories has Jean EVER been the central star of. [...] So please elaborate further in the last ten years which stories or specifically which story arcs that you believe Jean somehow "stole" the focus?
    This is a smooth mid-message goalpost shift.

Putting that aside: Jean spent the bulk of the shitty '90s as the godly First Lady of the X-Men. Then she died for awhile, but they continued to capitalize on her legend with the many pointless Phoenix minis. Then Jeen came along and monopolized the pointless O5 status quo. I'm not faulting the marketing principle; Jean is seen as a cash cow for Marvel and a well they often return to for story. But I've been reading for 30 years and AFAIC there's been more than enough exposure for Jean Grey in print, TV, film, games, merch, et al. YMMV. For me, it took her being dead over a decade and a feisty teen iteration to make Jean fresh again.
    Last edited by powerpax; 11-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.

This is a smooth mid-message goalpost shift.

Putting that aside: Jean spent the bulk of the shitty '90s as the godly First Lady of the X-Men. Then she died for awhile, but they continued to capitalize on her legend with the many pointless Phoenix minis. Then Jeen came along and monopolized the pointless O5 status quo. I'm not faulting the marketing principle; Jean is seen as a cash cow for Marvel and a well they often return to for story. But I've been reading for 30 years and AFAIC there's been more than enough exposure for Jean Grey in print, TV, film, games, merch, et al. YMMV. For me, it took her being dead over a decade and a feisty teen iteration to make Jean fresh again.
    What 90s was that? because I don't remember she getting that much focus, specially after marriage

Yeah Jean never got anywhere near the focus in the 90s X-men as she did in the 80s as a lead in X-Factor. The stuff with her in Red and as a teen was a refreshing take on here as she tended to be a supporting character within the main books, not counting Morrison's run

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    What 90s was that? because I don't remember she getting that much focus, specially after marriage
    We read very different terrible X-books. In those days Scott and Jean hung the moon, birthed the Askani'christ, kept big hair flowing without conditioner, fed the poor, healed the sick and always fucked missionary position.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Its funny because I distinctively remember you arguing that Jean was a central character through the 90s and 80s before Morrisson killed her. Im sure I can find the posts too it wasnt that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Its funny because I distinctively remember you arguing that Jean was a central character through the 90s and 80s before Morrisson killed her. Im sure I can find the posts too it wasnt that long ago.
    There wasn't acentral character on 90s, that is why the franchise sold more. bring the post then

We read very different terrible X-books. In those days Scott and Jean hung the moon, birthed the Askani'christ, kept big hair flowing without conditioner, fed the poor, healed the sick and always fucked missionary position.
    They had some focus leading to the marriage, but not after it

BANNED

The '90s sucked, and Scott, Jean, Logan, Rogue and Gambit were absolutely the pillars for most of that era. Almost everyone else was either reduced to stock tics and cliches (poor Ororo) or fodder. But that's just my take.

Waid mitigated that a bit, but not for long. I remember coming back to read his truncated run bc I'd loved his Flash after abandoning the X-books post-Claremont as everything quickly went to ****.

The '90s sucked, and Scott, Jean, Logan, Rogue and Gambit were absolutely the pillars for most of that era. Almost everyone else was either reduced to stock tics and cliches (poor Ororo) or fodder. But that's just my take.

Waid mitigated that a bit, but not for long. I remember coming back to read his truncated run bc I'd loved his Flash after abandoning the X-books post-Claremont as everything quickly went to ****.
    Not trying to be offensive but for a lot of us Jean fans the 90's was hard to get through. Jean had some good moments (especially towards the mid 90's through to early 2000s) but for the first part of the 90's Jean was sort of a background character or she was a supporting gf/wife character for Cyclops. She also lost a lot of the fire and passion that she had from X-factor and the era before (Phoenix).

I feel like it is a weird projection to act like Jean was some big character that took the shine from other characters. I just don't see it especially if the 90s is the standard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I feel like it is a weird projection to act like Jean was some big character that took the shine from other characters. I just don't see it especially if the 90s is the standard.
    I'm not projecting, lol. I read it as it released, that was my experience. Yours may be different. I felt Scott+Jean, Rogue and Gambit and Wolverine were omnipresent for much of the '90s and most everyone else could get fucked or be reduced to very basic types. YMMV.

I also felt the X-Factor years were wretched for everyone, especially Jean.