Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    BANNED

Every X Woman got relegated to the backstage when Claremont left. They werent allowed to drive the story or interact with each other unless a man was involved. But Jean and Rogue were still featured prominently (mostly due to being in the most popular ships but still).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The '90s sucked, and Scott, Jean, Logan, Rogue and Gambit were absolutely the pillars for most of that era. Almost everyone else was either reduced to stock tics and cliches (poor Ororo) or fodder. But that's just my take.

Waid mitigated that a bit, but not for long. I remember coming back to read his truncated run bc I'd loved his Flash after abandoning the X-books post-Claremont as everything quickly went to ****.
    There was also a lot of Jubilee pre-Gen X.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Not trying to be offensive but for a lot of us Jean fans the 90's was hard to get through. Jean had some good moments (especially towards the mid 90's through to early 2000s) but for the first part of the 90's Jean was sort of a background character or she was a supporting gf/wife character for Cyclops. She also lost a lot of the fire and passion that she had from X-factor and the era before (Phoenix).

I feel like it is a weird projection to act like Jean was some big character that took the shine from other characters. I just don't see it especially if the 90s is the standard.
    90s were very democratic. Bishop was on Uncanny X-men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    There was also a lot of Jubilee pre-Gen X.
    Don't remind me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    90s were very democratic. Bishop was on Uncanny X-men
    Not the same thing. Bishop was a pure '90s hot artist-driven creation initially, like Cable. He was of the era. They were only fleshed out later on by other writers. It took Waid and later Claremont, warts and all, to fully actualize Bishop beyond style IMO.

I'm not projecting, lol. I read it as it released, that was my experience. Yours may be different. I felt Scott+Jean, Rogue and Gambit and Wolverine were omnipresent for much of the '90s and most everyone else could get fucked or be reduced to very basic types. YMMV.

I also felt the X-Factor years were wretched for everyone, especially Jean.
    I read it as released as well, and Jean was definitely not this major character during that era ..again she was background character for a lot of the 90's and only had some good moments here and there (like a few issues of the Phalanx Covenant, the start of Onslaught and few moments in OZT). Jean wasn't the 'cool' character in the 90's like Psylocke, Rogue, or Gambit. Though as more of a background character she did appear in multiple places (member of Gold Team, guest starred in the Blue Team book, made appearances in Wolverine sometimes frequently, etc).

BANNED

I read it as released as well, and Jean was definitely not this major character during that era ..again she was background character for a lot of the 90's.
    OK. That was not at all my experience with those books. The only time Jean and Scott got downshifted a bit was much later on. We're not going to agree, so that's that.

Not the same thing. Bishop was a pure '90s hot artist-driven creation initially, like Cable. He was of the era. They were only fleshed out later on by other writers. It took Waid and later Claremont, warts and all, to fully actualize Bishop beyond style IMO.
    After the 90s, the other two times he was on the Uncanny was with Claremont (of course him) and then later on dissassembled.

Not trying to be offensive but for a lot of us Jean fans the 90's was hard to get through. Jean had some good moments (especially towards the mid 90's through to early 2000s) but for the first part of the 90's Jean was sort of a background character or she was a supporting gf/wife character for Cyclops. She also lost a lot of the fire and passion that she had from X-factor and the era before (Phoenix).

I feel like it is a weird projection to act like Jean was some big character that took the shine from other characters. I just don't see it especially if the 90s is the standard.
    I totally agree.

90's Jean Grey was not a big character. She didn't have much storyline, and was mostly a side character with few moments to shine here and there.
    Rogue, Psylocke and Gambit were the "cool" ones at the time.

BANNED

Psylocke? Psylocke was a piece of ass who was ignored except for cheesecake shots and then written out with Angel for a long stretch. As I said, I remember it one way, you can remember it thus.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    I totally agree.

90's Jean Grey was not a big character. She didn't have much storyline, and was mostly a side character with few moments to shine here and there.
    Rogue, Psylocke and Gambit were the "cool" ones at the time.
    Yes. I think some consider Jean to be a major player of that era because she was usually near Scott. That era for Jean was known as her den mother era as well as what we used to refer as the ScottJeanEntity because Jean didn't have much story or focus outside of being a supporting character to Scott Summers. Even in the Gold Team where Scott wasn't usually present Jean didn't have her own storyline or focus. She was a member of the team, but Storm, Colossus, and Bishop got more focus. That is not to say it was bad or that the character didn't have some good moments.

Her moments in the start of Onslaught are some of my favorite. She did get better focus mid-90's to late 90's. Though sometimes I do wonder if I'm too harsh on the 90's. Jean wasn't a major character but at least she was around. At least she wasn't killed off and was away from the books for over a decade. So there were some good things, but overall there were many more characters that got major focus during the 90s.

Yes. I think some consider Jean to be a major player of that era because she was usually near Scott. That era for Jean was known as her den mother era as well as what we used to refer as the ScottJeanEntity because Jean didn't have much story or focus outside of being a supporting character to Scott Summers. Even in the Gold Team where Scott wasn't usually present Jean didn't have her own storyline or focus. She was a member of the team, but Storm, Colossus, and Bishop got more focus. That is not to say it was bad or that the character didn't have some good moments.

Her moments in the start of Onslaught are some of my favorite. She did get better focus mid-90's to late 90's. Though sometimes I do wonder if I'm too harsh on the 90's. Jean wasn't a major character but at least she was around. At least she wasn't killed off and was away from the books for over a decade. So there were some good things, but overall there were many more characters that got major focus during the 90s.
    Mid 90s but not late 90s as she was written out of the books and a nonfactor until The Twelve buildup

Second printing cover

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

There is something I don't understand, maybe I didn't pay attention
    Xavier is dead but what is preventing other telepath to resurrect him? Someone as important as him should already have a plan in case this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    There is something I don't understand, maybe I didn't pay attention
    Xavier is dead but what is preventing other telepath to resurrect him? Someone as important as him should already have a plan in case this happened.
    They have a plan, it is the Force protocols. Nothing is saying he can't be ressurrect yet