Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Birds of Prey now a Black Label title

Didn’t see this news posted elsewhere so I thought I’d start a thread. Here’s the link:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Articl...ck-Label-Title

“DC is making the move to push the new Birds of Prey into DC Black Label, the perfect place for its hard-hitting storyline by writer Brian Azzarello, artist Emanuela Lupacchino.

Birds of Prey #1 and #2 will be resolicited as an upscale Black Label project timed to the upcoming Warner Bros. movie Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn with a new cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado!”

6F6F7D4D-58CA-4D8E-B9B2-4B3A67A6FB33.jpg
    Last edited by Twice-named; 09-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.

I would say "blech" but I already wasn't going to read it with Harley there and no Barbara, so they aren't losing a sale from me by this decision, I guess.

Extraordinary Member

They really gonna let Harley eat off Barbra plate

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I would say "blech" but I already wasn't going to read it with Harley there and no Barbara, so they aren't losing a sale from me by this decision, I guess.
    To coincide with the upcoming film would be my guess.

But, same. Harley being an anti-hero at times, in her own comic, is one thing. Being on the Birds of Prey, and without Babs? Hard pass.

I'd agree, but this seems like the only place Dinah's going to be appearing in, and Azz is a good writer. I *might* check out the first issue, but yeah, I got no interest in Harley being part of this group. I like Harls, but not with the Birds.

However. It's Azz and Dinah. So.....maybe one issue. It'll depend on if I hit the LCS that week and what else is already in my box I guess.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Movie synergy, movie synergy!

Now that seems more Azzarello's style of book but this just makes the whole black label concept pointless if you are going to throw in continuity books on the label as well.
    I mean content wise what is the difference between this and Batman: Damned
    Are we going to see Harley's clown car to match the Bat penis?

Babs has been displaced?

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Babs has been displaced?
    By a deranged clown, no less.

...Does this really need to be a Black Label book?

If this is just to accommodate Azzarello writing this like his other Black Label book, then count me out.

I thought DC was supposed to save the Black Label for curated good stuff.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Mighty Member

Helena is white now because of the movie, but Dinah is not biracial? How is this logical in anyway? Another Harley cash grab that will be mediocre and forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Now that seems more Azzarello's style of book but this just makes the whole black label concept pointless if you are going to throw in continuity books on the label as well.
    I mean content wise what is the difference between this and Batman: Damned
    Are we going to see Harley's clown car to match the Bat penis?
    Well Three Jokers is also planned to be in-continuity and Black Label. Also I thought DC reworked how Black Label worked? Now it’s just the “mature imprint”.

Even as someone who likes Harley Quinn I’m not looking forward to this, I’m not a fan of movie synergy a cinematic release very rarely translates to book sales.

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Helena is white now because of the movie, but Dinah is not biracial? How is this logical in anyway? Another Harley cash grab that will be mediocre and forgettable.
    Short of a reboot they can't just change either of their races in this and they shouldn't have to. Enough movie synergy with this as is.