Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Implications of Powers of X/ House of X on Spider-Man

At this point, the biggest critical and sales hit for Marvel is Jonathan Hickman's X-Men relaunch.

I'm curious about what you guys think the implications are for Spider-Man, both in terms of what's going on with the Marvel Universe and what this might mean for publishing down the line.

One takeaway is that one of Miles Morales' best friends (Goldballs) has suddenly become very important.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just to keep things relatively simple, I would love to see the non-mutant heroes -- Spidey included -- trying to face all this wonderful weirdness.

It should affect Spider-Man a lot, but over the past few years Marvel has really distanced the X-Men from non-mutant characters in terms of relationships, which sucks so much. Peter used to be pretty close to the X-Men, and even had respect from Logan, so much so that Logan put Peter in his last will.

Spidey taught a class there and the kids like Rockslide, Glob, and co. really fell hard for the guy after a few classes and probably became better X-Men 'cause of him. Then there's his speech to Hope, who's a member of The Five, that I liked to believe left a huge impact on her during AvX (not to mention her father referring to Peter as the best of them). There's tons more that I'm forgetting here.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I just want Peter to interact with them again. Outside of the X-Men I like Spider-Man and that's it pretty much.

I get the X-Men have strained relations with the rest of the MU's heroes, but Spidey's the one they can trust. I like it when they meet him and he reminds them why he's the best. Zdarsky did this recently in his Daredevil where Peter talks Matt down and convinces him to stop his reckless behavior and Matt just breaks down because he can't argue against Spider-Man like he could with the others.

I haven't kept up with Absolute Carnage, so shouldn't Knull and co. be going after some of the X-Men, too?
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-18-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's an interesting question. Spider-Man and the X-Men were the most popular solo and team franchises Marvel had for decades with fans despite being feared and hated by the public in-universe, and recurrently if not frequently hunted and hounded by the authorities. Both have trafficked heavily in themes of social alienation and what happens to oneself, to others, and to the greater society and world when power of any kind is misused or misappropriated for selfish aims and agendas, albeit in more individual terms for Spider-Man, more collectively speaking terms for the X-Men. The major difference is that while Spider-Man's life has significantly improved, though with some setbacks here and there, vis-à-vis his reputation and standing with the public, the authorities, and fellow heroes, the X-Men's situation has steadily, unrelentingly worsened, with some glimmers of hope here and there that get snuffed out all too quickly.

In that light, it makes a certain cold, stark sense that the X-Men would eventually give up on gaining humanity's acceptance and reject lukewarm alliances with nonmutant superheroes that never seemed to regard those alliances as worth breaking with human authorities that relentlessly persecuted mutants to the point of attempts at outright genocide. At this point, baseline humanity has long decided that it will never consider mutants as anything other than an existential threat and/or menace, and mutants have finally decided or realized that the only way to secure their own existence is to completely distance themselves from humanity. The ones who are neither human nor mutant, but are enhanced or empowered to the point of being called superhuman, will have to decide whether they can afford to continue straddling the fence as they have in the past, or choose a side. The reckoning for someone like Spider-Man, who has historically been almost as feared and hated by the world as the X-Men/mutants have continued to be, but now enjoys a certain level of appreciation from those that once scorned and rejected him, will be interesting (and perhaps even heartbreaking, given the friendship he and the X-Men used to have).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    It should affect Spider-Man a lot, but over the past few years Marvel has really distanced the X-Men from non-mutant characters in terms of relationships, which sucks so much. Peter used to be pretty close to the X-Men, and even had respect from Logan, so much so that Logan put Peter in his last will.

Spidey taught a class there and the kids like Rockslide, Glob, and co. really fell hard for the guy after a few classes and probably became better X-Men 'cause of him. Then there's his speech to Hope, who's a member of The Five, that I liked to believe left a huge impact on her during AvX (not to mention her father referring to Peter as the best of them). There's tons more that I'm forgetting here.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I just want Peter to interact with them again. Outside of the X-Men I like Spider-Man and that's it pretty much.

I get the X-Men have strained relations with the rest of the MU's heroes, but Spidey's the one they can trust. I like it when they meet him and he reminds them why he's the best. Zdarsky did this recently in his Daredevil where Peter talks Matt down and convinces him to stop his reckless behavior and Matt just breaks down because he can't argue against Spider-Man like he could with the others.

I haven't kept up with Absolute Carnage, so shouldn't Knull and co. be going after some of the X-Men, too?
    To be fair, it’s because of the MCU that they did that. No longer an issue thankfully.

Spider-Man not teaming up with the X-Men more often makes me beg for a new "Marvel Team-Up" with Peter at the helm again.

I don't really see it being that big a deal for Spidey.

He's friends with the X-Men, Logan is one of his closest Superhero friends, but not to the point where I see what's going on with them effecting him much.

Peter will lay an egg in Krakoa's honor.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

X-Men are #1 again. In other words, Hickman is in his Heaven, and all's right in the world. I urge anyone who's following Spider-Man to read Hickman's run on X-Men, it's the best the title has been since Morrison's early stuff (not that there hasn't been some good stuff intermittently). Hickman wrote a great run on Fantastic Four followed by a great run on the Avengers. Just 2 good years on X-Men and Hickman will have done nobody has ever achieved in Marvel history, a defining run on all three of Marvel's best teams (FF, Avengers, X-Men).

The natural order of the Marvel Universe has reasserted itself in the face of the silliness of getting people to take trash like Iron Man seriously, or see the Inhumans as something more than wallpaper for the general world-building. New readers are finally being introduced to the Marvel Universe that I enjoyed and fell in love with. Peter's with MJ, and the X-Men are at the center of it all.

My feeling is that Hickman has some kind of big event coming up. Right now HOX/POX is laying the ground rules for the start of his run at the end of this year. Eventually there will be a big event and Spider-Man will be involved with that. As it is Spencer's run features bits from the X-Corner: the Thieves' Guild is from Gambit's backstory, Arcade (admittedly introduced in Marvel Team-Up #65-66) is also an iconic X-Men villain. Eventually everyone in the Marvel Universe will be speaking Krakoan.

Any mutant friend Spider-Man even had is a enemy now... racist mutants

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The natural order of the Marvel Universe has reasserted itself in the face of the silliness of getting people to take trash like Iron Man seriously, or see the Inhumans as something more than wallpaper for the general world-building. New readers are finally being introduced to the Marvel Universe that I enjoyed and fell in love with. Peter's with MJ, and the X-Men are at the center of it all.
    Hey now, I'm not a big fan of Iron Man in Spider-Man but he's had some really good runs, and I like the old Inhumans plenty .

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    X-Men are #1 again. In other words, Hickman is in his Heaven, and all's right in the world. I urge anyone who's following Spider-Man to read Hickman's run on X-Men, it's the best the title has been since Morrison's early stuff (not that there hasn't been some good stuff intermittently). Hickman wrote a great run on Fantastic Four followed by a great run on the Avengers. Just 2 good years on X-Men and Hickman will have done nobody has ever achieved in Marvel history, a defining run on all three of Marvel's best teams (FF, Avengers, X-Men).

My feeling is that Hickman has some kind of big event coming up. Right now HOX/POX is laying the ground rules for the start of his run at the end of this year. Eventually there will be a big event and Spider-Man will be involved with that. As it is Spencer's run features bits from the X-Corner: the Thieves' Guild is from Gambit's backstory, Arcade (admittedly introduced in Marvel Team-Up #65-66) is also an iconic X-Men villain. Eventually everyone in the Marvel Universe will be speaking Krakoan.
    X-Men being #1 again does feel pretty good. They've always been the ones to spearhead the biggest changes in Marvel, so this feels like a breath of fresh air. Though I wouldn't call Tony trash though...that's a convo for another day. :P

As for the event, this story IS an event. It was on Marvel's event calendar that they showed earlier (along with Absolute Carnage and War of the Realms). That said, this will undoubtedly lead to an even bigger thing much later. When was the last Marvel Universe event that the X-Men were front and center for?

For me, the real question is, when will be the next time Spider-Man gets to school the X-Men like he did in Secret Wars ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For me, the real question is, when will be the next time Spider-Man gets to school the X-Men like he did in Secret Wars ?
    Man, the way HOX/POX are going, he ain't ever schooling them again! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Man, the way HOX/POX are going, he ain't ever schooling them again! Haha
    Challenge accepted .