Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It really is amazing just how much the MCU has after the Fox buyout

Thought I'd post this just to demonstrate what the Fox buyout truly means. When most people talk the buyout, they mainly center it around the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and the existence of mutants. However, that's really only scratching the surface of what's possible on the big screen. They don't just have their most famous characters and mutants, but they have nearly all the factions, important cornerstones, worldbuilding elements, and locations that are core in the Marvel Universe. As it turns out, that amounts to a lot. The fact that they were missing have made the MCU incomplete for the longest time.

These include:
    • Galactus, the Silver Surfer, and the other Heralds
    • Doctor Doom and Latveria
    • X-Men adjacent teams: New Mutants, X-Factor, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, X-Force etc.
    • Weapon X
    • Hellfire Club
    • Exiles
    • Mojoworld
    • Cyttorak
    • Phoenix Force
    • Age of Apocalypse
    • Kang the Conqueror
    • The Sentinels
    • Annihilus and the Annihilation Wave
    • The Negative Zone
    • Moloids
    • Most of the named Skrulls
    • The Shi'ar
    • The Brood
    • The Phalanx
    • The Savage Land
    • S.W.O.R.D.
    • Otherworld and the Captain Britain Corps
    • The Thieves' Guild and the Assassins Guild
    • Limbo
    • The Future Foundation
    • Mr. Sinister and the Marauders
    • The Molecule Man
    • The Galactic Council
    • The Beyonder

Look at all this, and be amazed that the MCU has been able to be this good and this successful while severely handicapped. How much bigger can the MCU get now? I feel like this accounts for at least 40% of Marvel. Can't wait to see them cut loose!

Only thing missing at the moment is Spider-Man and his mythos, sadly.

But anyways, it's pretty unbelievable and I'm very much looking forward to the future. If the MCU was ever at the risk of going stale after Endgame, the buyout ensures the well doesn't run dry.

What do you hope to see out of the massive expanded MCU? Discuss.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

No. They are also missing Namor and the Hulk, as far as solo movies go.

I'm not sure they didn't have access to some of those characters before the merger, but yes, they were missing the FF, who basically built the Marvel Universe, and the X-Men who were / are extremely popular.

Personally, I think it was the best thing that the MCU didn't have access to their "big guns." It made them realize how great the C list or 'lower level' characters like Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Black Widow, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. could be and develop them instead.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I'm not sure they didn't have access to some of those characters before the merger, but yes, they were missing the FF, who basically built the Marvel Universe, and the X-Men who were / are extremely popular.

Personally, I think it was the best thing that the MCU didn't have access to their "big guns." It made them realize how great the C list or 'lower level' characters like Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Black Widow, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc. could be and develop them instead.
    Isn't it like 90% confirmed that Namor is the villain of Black Panther 2? They'll probably build him up as a Loki-type figure, someone bounces around between good and evil while being a complex and enjoyable character.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Isn't it like 90% confirmed that Namor is the villain of Black Panther 2? They'll probably build him up as a Loki-type figure, someone bounces around between good and evil while being a complex and enjoyable character.
    Not at all. I haven't seen anything from a reputable source, i.e. associated with Marvel, the MCU, or the cast and crew of BP that have indicated Namor will be in that movie. There's plenty of ... I guess Hickman fans, who have been pushing for it, but as a Namor fan, and I'm not alone, I certainly don't want to see him abused in a Black Panther movie and reduced to a Black Panther villain.

The only MCU person that has "mentioned" Namor is the director of Dr. Strange, who posted a cover from Fear Itself The Deep with Doctor Strange, that happened to have Namor in the background -- and then fairly quickly removed the post.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Actually I remember it being indicated that they worked out the Namor issue, and it's from leaks that keep consistently coming up. Again, I doubt they'd reduce him to Black Panther villain, but he's got to start somewhere.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

with all that content they could make movies till 2050
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Extraordinary Member

This is one of the many reasons I wish the Fox buyout hadn't happened, or at least that it hadn't happened so soon. The pressure will now be on Feige to produce new versions of characters who have already appeared on the big screen, instead of characters who would otherwise never have starred in a movie in a million years. If they'd gotten the rights back in, say, 10 years then it might have given them a shot in the arm when they really ran out of characters or Feige lost his touch, but now...

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This is one of the many reasons I wish the Fox buyout hadn't happened, or at least that it hadn't happened so soon. The pressure will now be on Feige to produce new versions of characters who have already appeared on the big screen, instead of characters who would otherwise never have starred in a movie in a million years. If they'd gotten the rights back in, say, 10 years then it might have given them a shot in the arm when they really ran out of characters or Feige lost his touch, but now...
    What are you even talking about? It could not have happened at a better time.

There are two reasons for it:
    • If Disney didn't buy Fox, someone else would've, like Comcast. They were having financial trouble and were looking to sell anyways, and Disney stepped up. Note, the X-Men/FF have little to do with why they did it, but that was just a happy side effect that comic fans and geek sites focus on. As a positive to that side effect, The X-Men/FF are actually being treated well by Marvel again, getting new comics, new pushes, and are allowed in video games and animated series. I would hate for the first family and the merry mutants to still be treated like the unwanted stepchildren.
    • Fox have completely and utterly failed to make use of any of this. Mostly by not using them, or using them badly. You know why? They don't care about comics! Did you know that Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg only put Psylocke in Apocalypse because they thought she looked cool? They had no idea she was the twin sister of Captain Britain, or who he was, and Olivia Munn had to explain X-Men lore to them. An actress knew more about the lore than the people making the movie. Also, let it sink in that they had film rights to stuff they didn't know they had.

So no, there's simply no better way to do this. Also, trust Feige. It's too early to say he's going to mess up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Didn't the MCU start with the first Hulk movie?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Didn't the MCU start with the first Hulk movie?
    Iron Man. Hulk was the second. It underperformed and Universal holds the distribution rights, hence no more Hulk solos.

I wonder if this applies to Disney+ though. I want an Immortal Hulk show for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, I kinda agree with this. Like, I'm happy we'll finally get a good FF film, but that's not enough of a silver lining. In an ideal world, Fox wouldn't have sold their movie business. Or ideally they would have at least sold it to somebody else. Not only does it give an already dominant Disney an unhealthy amount of the market, but Disney's strategy of "fewer, but bigger movies" means that a lot of the interesting smaller projects Fox would have made were lost. Disney cancelled an absurd number of Fox productions. I'd rather have had them than a good X-film.

I've always appreciated the side effect of Marvel rights being split up being that smaller, equally deserving properties can get the spotlight. I'm glad that they couldn't work on Fox stuff until the sale was finalized, and so Phase Four at least is giving us Eternals, Shang-Chi, Kate Bishop, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, etc.

I do love the X-Men, but getting an X-Men film isn't some fan pipe dream anymore. That feeling that used to come with superhero movies, "I can't believe this got made!", the X-Men don't have that anymore. They're a very established film franchise at this point. The same can be said of the Avengers. But an Eternals movie? That still has some of that unbelievable feeling to it.

I'm no fan of Fox's X-efforts, but I'm glad they had the rights all the same. I can't imagine that if they'd had them from Day One that the MCU would at all resemble the one we got, and I'm quite happy with the Infinity Saga as a whole.

I find it funny how most of the people who resist X-Men joining the MCU are people who aren't big X-Men fans. Most with even a passing interest of X-Men are enthusiastic about it, even more are the major fans, who eagerly wait to see X-Men on film done right.

And why are you acting like having these things will suddenly detract from everything else? That I can't get.

Also, I'm really glad that Marvel is treating FF/X-Men properly again, and not shoving them off to the side so they can promote the Avengers. Do you really want that forever? That's what would've happened without the buyout.

Personally, I think Dark Phoenix completely destroyed the argument that X-Men was better with Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Yeah, I kinda agree with this. Like, I'm happy we'll finally get a good FF film, but that's not enough of a silver lining. In an ideal world, Fox wouldn't have sold their movie business. Or ideally they would have at least sold it to somebody else. Not only does it give an already dominant Disney an unhealthy amount of the market, but Disney's strategy of "fewer, but bigger movies" means that a lot of the interesting smaller projects Fox would have made were lost. Disney cancelled an absurd number of Fox productions. I'd rather have had them than a good X-film.

Most of those things canceled where in early production stage, Which means they can easily find themselves at another home basically they are script and director. A lot of those projects where in development hell and weren't going to be made as well. I am not worried the good stuff will show up at some point. Fox was going to be bought by Comcast which is another mega company like Disney, And while they have a different requirement for content tends you lead to think that a lot more things might have survived it is still a mega company with Universal and NBC under its belt, I still think a large amount of thing getting slashed. I don't think either Devil was going to be that good to Fox stuff in general.

On topic It is amazing how much a franchise that struggle like the FF held up awesome stuff from happening. They are not mention in the convo but the FF has one of the rogue's gallery in comics. It is really nice that MCU has access to more of their toys. Lets not forget that Netflix toys are also coming back into play as well

Good point. Honestly, just look at the list. I have 29 different points, many of them encompass a lot of different things, and I still left stuff out. Look at how Fox completely watered down the X-Men and failed the Fantastic Four, most notably by the fact that most of these things were never featured, and the few that were got done horribly. Essentially, all of them were held in a state of limbo that only served to make the MCU feel incomplete.

Can anyone tell me with a straight face that Fox holding these hostage is in any way a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Most of those things canceled where in early production stage, Which means they can easily find themselves at another home basically they are script and director. A lot of those projects where in development hell and weren't going to be made as well. I am not worried the good stuff will show up at some point. Fox was going to be bought by Comcast which is another mega company like Disney, And while they have a different requirement for content tends you lead to think that a lot more things might have survived it is still a mega company with Universal and NBC under its belt, I still think a large amount of thing getting slashed. I don't think either Devil was going to be that good to Fox stuff in general.

On topic It is amazing how much a franchise that struggle like the FF held up awesome stuff from happening. They are not mention in the convo but the FF has one of the rogue's gallery in comics. It is really nice that MCU has access to more of their toys. Lets not forget that Netflix toys are also coming back into play as well
    I know not all of them were going to happen, but the fact of the matter is that Fox made a lot of movies. Disney doesn't. Fox under Disney isn't going to. Other studios aren't going to make up for those numbers just because the projects move elsewhere, because the studios don't have the financial means to do so. I'm sure the numbers would have been cut no matter the buyer, but Disney has become for having a very slim film slate. I think there's good reason to think that other buyers would have slashed the numbers less. Not that we'll ever know with certainty.

I think that it's gonna be another two years before the Netflix characters are freed up. I'm not sure whether it's staggered between shows or all in a lump, but Jessica Jones only ended a few months ago...