Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Wasn't Paige acting as a therapist for Roxy? That seems like as good a reason as any for Bling! to tag along.
    Yeah. Paige was the school’s guidance counsellor for a bit after her secondary mutation/mental breakdown.

Bling! and Husk! I'm going to have to pick this book up now. The cast improved by 70000%
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

i want it on the record that Im buying this book just because people are hating on it! and because I like this Psylocke (even though I voted against the split)

(it sounds good)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Bling! and Husk! I'm going to have to pick this book up now. The cast improved by 70000%
    That means you think highly of Bling! and Husk, or very little of the other cast members. XD
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

the dawn of X books seem very connected and we know that it is likely that the teams will cross each other.
    Who do you think could have the most potential or cooler interactions with this team?
    I think X-force could be interesting.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 10-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.

X-force and New Mutants are no-brainers.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    i want it on the record that Im buying this book just because people are hating on it! and because I like this Psylocke (even though I voted against the split)

(it sounds good)
    I try to avoid doing that, but excessive hate on something does make me want to see it succeed.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    the dawn of X books seem very connected and we know that it is likely that the teams will cross each other.
    Who do you think could have the most potential or cooler interactions with this team?
    I think X-force could be interesting.
    Excalibur. Betsy with Psylocke, Gambit with X-23, Cable with Apocalypse. Also would love to see Gambit and Rogue gratitude to Bling for their rings.

Hope we get a Betsy/Kwannon interaction. Other than that one page from Excalibur that it looks like we are getting. But I know that's just preview art. We don't know what they have planned. But I do really Tini Howard and BEH delve into the two characters relationship

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I remember reading it on release. She wasn't interesting at all, IMO.

I am a longtime fan. Betsy Braddock is not Asian, and racewashing her was antiquated and inappropriate in 2018-19, as the change devolved her into a racial fetish object for a lot of horny nerds.

Betsy never chose to be put into Kwannon's body.

And Betsy is alive and well. Now Kwannon and her form have a chance to be more than a doll/object and build a new character. I honestly hope they can do that, because I think the Kwannon retcon was idiotic from day one but I think the Asian Psylocke form has import and significance beyond just branding; it can become an iconic Asian character on its own without the troubling and unfortunate past. There is no reason English Betsy and Kwannon as Psylocke cannot coexist. The truth is something like this should've been done years ago.
    Horny nerds? What?
    There are a wide range of Psylocke fans from her change, and our love and admiration of her has nothing to do with salaciousness. And from the activity at least from what I have seen on this forum. She was very popular and very beloved.

In my 20+ years of reading the X-men the only people who I have seen whining about the skin colour are a handful people on the appreciation thread. Claiming it’s offensive because it’s a white woman in an Asian body? What is white? What is Asian? Are they insinuating that because the character speaks with a British accent or has British mannerisms then she’s white?

I’m Black and get accused of being white all the time. And when you drill down it usually is attributed to the fact that because I read, speak grammatically correct English, don't listen to rap/hip hop and have ambition, then I am 'white'. The notion that only white people behave like that is just....

An Asian is a person who comes from or is associated with a country or region in Asia. It covers a wide swath of countries and a wide swath of people. Who all certainly don’t all look the same or even have the same skin colour. So to claim that Kwannon is now supposed to represent ‘Asian’ is in itself an offensive generalization.

The back issues I have read of ‘white’ Betsy Braddock she was little more than a pampered princess and Storm’s BF. It’s clear that the change was done to make the character more interesting, make her more of a ‘badass’ and probably to capitalize on the interest in Ninja’s at the time. Race/genetic/mind swapping was just a way of accelerating and giving Betsy martial art skills, without the years and years of training she would naturally have had to go through to get those skills. And probably also helped to add some more racial diversity without having to introduce a new character.

As it is, there are enough white women in the X-Men. I don’t see the need for another one, and as it Betsy is now just Emma Frost 2.0 without the layers. And I really don’t expect Kwannon to be anything more than an Elektra knock off and PC quota filling.
    Last edited by Mia; 10-08-2019 at 07:56 AM.

^ I think people either don't know or have completely forgotten that Jim Lee had a lot to do with the "body swap"..just think it's an important thing to remember when speaking of the whole white woman in an Asian body thing

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Hope we get a Betsy/Kwannon interaction. Other than that one page from Excalibur that it looks like we are getting. But I know that's just preview art. We don't know what they have planned. But I do really Tini Howard and BEH delve into the two characters relationship
    As far as I know Kwannon is the focus of this book so I believe that would be posible. At least I hope it happens.
    I don't think these girls will ever be friends though

Bling! I can see not getting in line with other X-Students when it comes to Krakoa. Paige is strange. Maybe she did not like being resurrected like that? It might be a bit of a traumatic experience for someone.

I want Hellion in this :|

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Horny nerds? What?
    There are a wide range of Psylocke fans from her change, and our love and admiration of her has nothing to do with salaciousness. And from the activity at least from what I have seen on this forum. She was very popular and very beloved.

In my 20+ years of reading the X-men the only people who I have seen whining about the skin colour are a handful people on the appreciation thread. Claiming it’s offensive because it’s a white woman in an Asian body? What is white? What is Asian? Are they insinuating that because the character speaks with a British accent or has British mannerisms then she’s white?

I’m Black and get accused of being white all the time. And when you drill down it usually is attributed to the fact that because I read, speak grammatically correct English, don't listen to rap/hip hop and have ambition, then I am 'white'. The notion that only white people behave like that is just....

An Asian is a person who comes from or is associated with a country or region in Asia. It covers a wide swath of countries and a wide swath of people. Who all certainly don’t all look the same or even have the same skin colour. So to claim that Kwannon is now supposed to represent ‘Asian’ is in itself an offensive generalization.

The back issues I have read of ‘white’ Betsy Braddock she was little more than a pampered princess and Storm’s BF. It’s clear that the change was done to make the character more interesting, make her more of a ‘badass’ and probably to capitalize on the interest in Ninja’s at the time. Race/genetic/mind swapping was just a way of accelerating and giving Betsy martial art skills, without the years and years of training she would naturally have had to go through to get those skills. And probably also helped to add some more racial diversity without having to introduce a new character.

As it is, there are enough white women in the X-Men. I don’t see the need for another one, and as it Betsy is now just Emma Frost 2.0 without the layers. And I really don’t expect Kwannon to be anything more than an Elektra knock off and PC quota filling.
    Like with almost everything you ever say, you are wrong.

Betsy isn't Asian because Betsy is #@$&ing English; she was an British aristocrat, of aristocratic (and extradimensional) heritage, wearing an Japanese womans body. What does and does not qualify as Asian is irrelevant since she doesn't even debatably qualify, and thus has no bearing on the quote you referenced; they're not insinuating that because the character speaks with a British accent or has British mannerisms then she’s white, they're insinuating that Betsy's such a pale skinned person of Europe, because she is, and it does not qualify as diversity if the character is not actually of the ethnicity they superficially appear to be. Hell the entire point of changing her to an east Asian body, was to have her take a position of power in the Hong Kong underworld. The only way you could get closer to a symbol of British colonialism, is if it was an Indian womans body she was wearing.

She was not changed to make her more badass (well the making her Japanese element wasn't explicitly meant to do that anyway.), she was changed as part of a story plot, and it was meant to be entirely temporary; but then Clarmont thought to stretch it a little longer (because, as he put it, the large breasted ninja version looked... visually appealing) just until Jim Lee left the book; then he lost authorial control. It's a matter of public record at this point.

https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/20...betsy-in-2018/
    Last edited by Nazrel; 10-08-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Not feeling the gender imbalance here. Its reminding me of X-men vol.3 and Uncanny X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Horny nerds? What?

British is an ethnicity and/or nationality. White is a race. You are confusing the terms, here. Betsy has always been British as Asian people can also be British. She was false representation of a Japanese woman though

And IDA on her being Emma 2.0. She is nothing like Emma and its highly dismissive to reduce her to just being that
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.