Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    Pretty sure the only reason they paired Laura and Warren up was to give Teen Warren some sort of purpose. Tyke and Jeen had multiple relationships and dynamics they could play towards given Jean/Scott's core nature in the franchise, Bobby had his coming out experience, Beast had the magic shite. Warren had nothing.
    Even his powers are worthless (since plenty of other heroes can fly and do other stuff, and he can only fly). It's why adult Warren was turned into Archangel, and it's why teen Warren got the flame wings (it would be fun if it turned out adult Warren could now switch between all three forms - feather, fire, and metal wings).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Weren't they split before Tamaki's run? Warren was flirting with other girls in X-Men Blue.
    yeah x-men blue he was flirting with girls, but still we have no idea when exactly they broke. It was a weird development, because it seemed like everyone stop writing it and no one wanted to end it

BANNED

Weren't they split before Tamaki's run? Warren was flirting with other girls in X-Men Blue.
    Orphans of X would be before Tamaki's run. The context of Laura and Warren's conversation in the helicopter in the first part could be read as amicable exes.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    Psylocke s looking goodAttachment 87942
    This is very interesting. I wasn't expecting Husk and Bling! at all. This book desperately needs Hellion in it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    Psylocke s looking goodAttachment 87942
    Y'know, I just realized why I feel like Bling! doesn't mesh with the rest, apart from my dislike of her character.

The others have this kind of underlying theme, that maybe is a bit of a stretch. But you have the son of Cyclops and Jean Grey, the daughter of Wolverine, the successor of Betsy Braddock and Cannonball's younger sister as part of the roster. You could a make a case about how ironic it is that they're not fitting into the Krakoa status quo when their predecessors did just fine, or also talk about them trying to get out of their shadow and what not.

And they you have freaking Bling!.

Just wanted to share this, because I think I found a bit of inner peace after finding out what was the other thing that was bothering me. I'm probably reaching, though LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Y'know, I just realized why I feel like Bling! doesn't mesh with the rest, apart from my dislike of her character.

The others have this kind of underlying theme, that maybe is a bit of a stretch. But you have the son of Cyclops and Jean Grey, the daughter of Wolverine, the successor of Betsy Braddock and Cannonball's younger sister as part of the roster. You could a make a case about how ironic it is that they're not fitting into the Krakoa status quo when their predecessors did just fine, or also talk about them trying to get out of their shadow and what not.

Just wanted to share this, because I think I found a bit of inner peace after finding out what was the other thing that was bothering me. I'm probably reaching, though LMAO
    I would've preferred M/Penance over Bling! sincerely.

I would have preferred Blink over Bling! but it is what it is.

But aside from the CBR jokes on how this team is just the “fake” version of everyone else, that really isn’t the focus of the book. These are all characters that are uncomfortable with Krakoa for different reasons. Bling! has always wanted to integrate into human society but couldn’t because of her physical mutation so I can see “Mutant Heaven” being very overwhelming for her.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I would have preferred Blink over Bling! but it is what it is.
    For a while after I read the announcement I thought it said Blink (I was reading it in a hurry).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post

About the only connection to anything is that Bling! was/is dating Mercury, who during KYost's run was one of Laura's best friends (Laura and Roxy have never, to my knowledge, interacted).

TBH, the inclusion of Bling! comes across as the same sort of response to fan requests to see more of the New X-Men that just ends up leading to more spotlight for Glob, and Editorial getting snippy when NXM fans don't celebrate in the streets over what we've been "given." And frankly, Roxy doesn't EVEN qualify as a peripheral character. She only ever appeared in four issues (out of FORTYish between A-X and KYost) and never in D&W's New Mutants, or Young X-Men.

If this is what Hill meant when he indicated Laura's friendships with the NXM were going to get explored in the book I'm going to be seriously disappointed. Mercury herself would have been a much better pick because of their past friendship. As would Dust, especially if Sooraya is still working with the Champions away from the X-Men. Hell, Surge would have been interesting: Not only has Nori expressed on several occasions she's fed up with the senior X-leadership, so it would make sense for her to want nothing to do with Krakoa, but having her and Laura interact after their last couple meetings were rather frosty, to say the least, would offer fertile ground for drama.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    At the end of the day...it's all up to the writer and editorial.
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    But here's the thing with the X-Men, character relationships are very rarely truly "over"
    Illusion of change, huh?
    It's meant to be the guys who don't like Krakoa. Laura would object to the resurrections because it involves cloning, Cable would know how it all turns out, Kwannon was body swapped, so she'd have similar objections to Laura. So what would Husk and Bling's problems be?
    Maybe part of the story is about why they leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Hopeless made a complete and utter mess of it, so badly that Taylor and Tamaki pretty much wanted nothing to do with them, and only mentioned it for continuity's sake.
    Ish. In an interview, Taylor said that he was originally planning to have teen Angel be a recurring character, with the idea that Laura should have a more light-hearted character to balance things out. Apparently when he was writing the scene were Laura meets Gabby for the first time was when he changed his mind and decided to have Gabby take over that role full-time, leaving Angel with only a handful of appearances after that. (As I recall, "Enemy of the State II" was the last story where Laura and Warren were obviously still a couple; Warren's appearances in "Orphans of X" and "Family Album" didn't have the characters talk much and would make sense if they were broken up, esp. the latter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    The "husks" are clones. They are more clone than most of Marvel's named clones. Hickman depicted the actual cloning process, with mutants instead of test tubes, pipettes, electric current and human wombs. It's almost like he couldn't help himself, he had to be accurate. It's science. It's science-fiction. It's cloning. The "husks" are living, breathing twins of the original with their own brains and baby-minds, completely scrambled by being gestated and aged to adulthood in 48 hours. Xavier downloads the backup copies of the mutant's memories, cognitive development, personality--think of all the centers of the brain. Some control language skills, others comprehension of speech, others impulse control. All this biology has been digitalized and stored and this is downloaded into the clone's brain, essentially reprogramming it--but the host brain is so undeveloped and short-circuited by the developmental process it seems to be receptive. If the clone were allowed to develop naturally, it would have to be taught from scratch like a newborn, and become an actual new individual genetically identical to the original.

I can definitely see why Laura wouldn't be comfortable with the whole process.
    Yeah, the story with Miss Sinister from her first solo would support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    But in general, I'm excited by this comic. Because I'm not happy with the whole Avatar/Krakoastan direction. So I have at least one comic that I can read about characters who (I hope) have some excellent reasons why they don't want to colonize a living island that knows everything they do, forced to interact with only mutants--no matter if they like them or not--squeezed together on the spongy, weird-ass, viney back of a creature that eats mutant energy for lunch. Sincerely, if I lived on Marvel Earth and I were a mutant, I'd rather take my chances with the Purifiers than spend one second on that creepy, pervy so-called island.
    Not really interested in buying the story, but you do make it sound good. May have to see about getting the trades from the library when it's done.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

An appearance from Dust would be cool but i wouldn't want her to join full time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    But aside from the CBR jokes on how this team is just the “fake” version of everyone else, that really isn’t the focus of the book. These are all characters that are uncomfortable with Krakoa for different reasons. Bling! has always wanted to integrate into human society but couldn’t because of her physical mutation so I can see “Mutant Heaven” being very overwhelming for her.

If this was the 90s, this appearance of hers would fit way better within human society, when The Simpsons was timely.

About the only connection to anything is that Bling! was/is dating Mercury, who during KYost's run was one of Laura's best friends (Laura and Roxy have never, to my knowledge, interacted).

TBH, the inclusion of Bling! comes across as the same sort of response to fan requests to see more of the New X-Men that just ends up leading to more spotlight for Glob, and Editorial getting snippy when NXM fans don't celebrate in the streets over what we've been "given." And frankly, Roxy doesn't EVEN qualify as a peripheral character. She only ever appeared in four issues (out of FORTYish between A-X and KYost) and never in D&W's New Mutants, or Young X-Men.

If this is what Hill meant when he indicated Laura's friendships with the NXM were going to get explored in the book I'm going to be seriously disappointed. Mercury herself would have been a much better pick because of their past friendship. As would Dust, especially if Sooraya is still working with the Champions away from the X-Men. Hell, Surge would have been interesting: Not only has Nori expressed on several occasions she's fed up with the senior X-leadership, so it would make sense for her to want nothing to do with Krakoa, but having her and Laura interact after their last couple meetings were rather frosty, to say the least, would offer fertile ground for drama.
    I'd honestly rather have Dust to see her interact with Laura again and see how her faith affects her vision of Krakoa.

Wtf. Why do you even think in the first place that her inclusion has anything to do with Laura? Maybe the writer just has some reason he wants to write Bling herself for who she is rather than adding her in for Laura's development? A shocking concept, I know.

Wasn't Paige acting as a therapist for Roxy? That seems like as good a reason as any for Bling! to tag along.