Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Is this a variant cover by Nicola Scott? If so, I’ll take this one over Coipel!

I’m trying to determine whose art Scott is paying tribute to with the center row, far left version. I recognize what looks like a Lynda Carter/Delbo/seventies version, a Perez version, and a Deodato version. But I can’t put my finger on the far left rendition.
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-04-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post

I’m trying to determine whose art Scott is paying tribute to with the center row, far left version. I recognize what looks like a Lynda Carter/Delbo/seventies version, a Perez version, and a Deodato version. But I can’t put my finger on the far left rendition.

Definitely the 70s/80s version judging by the eagle breastplate, single point tiara and the larger white stars. But specifically which artists, I can't say.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Is this Dr. Psycho? Does this mean the 750 issue may include a Dr.Psycho story? How exciting if so?

I'm loving all these covers. They are so absolutely beautiful.

As much as I would like to see Dr. Psycho in this book again, my guess is that Jim Lee is just spotlighting some of Diana's villains on this cover.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yes. According to Scott, this is a exclusive variant that can be purchased through Kings Comics Australia:

https://twitter.com/NicolaScottArt/s...15022356484096
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

The tiara's a little big, but maybe she's giving homage to Rick Estrada? He did a bunch of those "return to the Golden Age" covers post-Sekowsky. Honestly, the size of the tiara gives me Andru vibes in the 50s, but she definitely had shorts, not the bathing suit, back then.

Rick Estrada WW.jpg

Ric Estrada WW 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The tiara's a little big, but maybe she's giving homage to Rick Estrada? He did a bunch of those "return to the Golden Age" covers post-Sekowsky. Honestly, the size of the tiara gives me Andru vibes in the 50s, but she definitely had shorts, not the bathing suit, back then.

Rick Estrada WW.jpg

Ric Estrada WW 2.jpg
    I imaged it was an homage to the Kurt Schaffenberger Superfriends Wonder Woman:

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Incredible Member

totes possible! The bodice & tiara work. On the other hand, the belt points down (I don't think anyone did that before Perez?) and the boots have no stripe. Perhaps it's a Frankenstein of all the others she couldn't fit in. :-)

totes possible! The bodice & tiara work. On the other hand, the belt points down (I don't think anyone did that before Perez?) and the boots have no stripe. Perhaps it's a Frankenstein of all the others she couldn't fit in. :-)
    I’ve decided it’s Don Heck. He drew her when they ditched the Mod Era and updated the original costume. He gave her a downward pointing belt and solid red boots.

Rick Estrada WW.jpg

Ric Estrada WW 2.jpg

Andru is top row, right (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Nicola's is by far my favorite, but there was another image during WW Odyssey that was just like it that I can't find right now. Interesting she included the Earth 2 Wonder Woman costume she designed and there are a few I can't quite place, or are inaccurate. For instance the far right one on the second row is Byrne but off and the far left second row is like Super Friends but off too. The top middle one I've never seen before, or at least with the eagle and belt placed that way.

I'm only nitpicking like I said Nicola's is my favorite and I love it!

Incredible Member

I love the effort Nicola put into her cover! That's what I like to see for an anniversary this monumental. I'm only guessing, but I would say the far left costume in the second row is a nod to the Super Friends cartoons. Didn't she look that way during those episodes that featured the Wonder Twins or those other two random teens and their dog? I feel like I can remember her belt creeping up into her bustier logo the same way.....

super-friends1_1.jpg
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 12-05-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I love the effort Nicola put into her cover! That's what I like to see for an anniversary this monumental. I'm only guessing, but I would say the far left costume in the second row is a nod to the Super Friends cartoons. Didn't she look that way during those episodes that featured the Wonder Twins or those other two random teens and their dog? I feel like I can remember her belt creeping up into her bustier logo the same way.....

super-friends1_1.jpg
    Yes but the hair is wrong, it should be a flip you could almost hang clothes on, there are too many stars on the shorts and the eagle should only have 3 "feathers". Also Byrne's belt/chest logo combo had no middle section, the belt's top point went all the way up to the double W like an ugly giant diamond. And none of the Golden Age outfits have the feet of the eagle sitting on the belt, that's a look I like a lot.

But that's partly what makes this so fun, it's like a puzzle for Wonder Woman fans.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 12-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    For instance the far right one on the second row is Byrne but off
    I think it's a mash-up of Deodato & Byrne - the hair and face are more Deodato and the trunks with minimal stars and the giant tiara are Byrne.