Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Unpopular opinion time, Wilson's Ares didn't a scar over his eye that's why I want it to be Red Panzer.

red_panzer_2.jpg

Though he's far too obscure to loom that large in the background and Jim Lee surely would have drawn him in his mask, so it's got to be Ares right?

Ares 23.jpg

Yeah, the emblem on his chest confirms it, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The pencil for Jim Lee's variant from his Twitter

Attachment 90273

Wait, which one's First Born? The one that looks like Vandal Savage?

Why is Pandora there? Because she's from Greek Mythology?

I guess it's official... Max Lord is Wonder Woman villain now... they just need to actually create the story

I never heard of Egg Fu...

Also, Cassie's not there huh?
    Look on the bright side: Lord is heavily tied to the espionage side of the DCU. Having a character from there be pushed as one of Diana’s big villains will let Diana play in different “zones” apart from Greek Gods and magic.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Look on the bright side: Lord is heavily tied to the espionage side of the DCU. Having a character from there be pushed as one of Diana’s big villains will let Diana play in different “zones” apart from Greek Gods and magic.

You make a very good point here. Too often writers fall into the one trick pony trap of Greek mythology and the title gets stale.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm losing count of all the variants. These are by Bosslogic:

"The 3 official #wonderwoman #750 variants are available to order while it is a comic, I was still trying to build hype for the movie :-D #BattleRopesOfTruth"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6HfmYzpvJP/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    While I'm all for different varieties of stories for Wonder Woman, I'm not sure the espionage world really suits her (whatever the mod era implied). And she already has plenty of villains that move outside the mythological realm: Veronica Cale, Doctor Psycho, Giganta, Silver Swan, Cheetah (though modern Cheetah is liminal), Doctor Poison, Doctor Cyber…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Don't enjoy the Lee covers.

Don't enjoy any of those character designs. I miss pre-52.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    While I'm all for different varieties of stories for Wonder Woman, I'm not sure the espionage world really suits her (whatever the mod era implied). And she already has plenty of villains that move outside the mythological realm: Veronica Cale, Doctor Psycho, Giganta, Silver Swan, Cheetah (though modern Cheetah is liminal), Doctor Poison, Doctor Cyber…
    It's interesting how we typically have differing views on Wonder Woman being involved in the spy milieu. I enjoy the idea on several levels, but perhaps it's just my nostalgia for her days in military intelligence and her agent days on TV with the IADC.

If you're doing an espionage story in a superhero universe, the best character to use is a character who either isn't a superhero or if they are they have to be someone not very famous in-universe. Neither of these apply to Diana. You could maybe do a story about an Amazon character as a spy but that Amazon should not be Diana or any of the other more well known ones.

If one looks at the Marston stories, while they are set in the US Army Intelligence offices, they are much more police stories than spy stories in the way they are constructed and the interaction among the characters.

You can of course do spy/agent stories with Diana, but I feel it doesn't play to her strengths and her history as a character. And unlike setting her in a horror/supernatural setting (as Tynion did in JLD), I don't think setting Wonder Woman in a spy story makes for an interesting contrast either.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I guess I just love my Agent Prince and would like to see that updated in a more interesting way than has been in the past when you consider what espionage and mysteries might look like in a world filled with superheroes and all the tropes that accompany them. (This is probably why I enjoyed Planetary and Top Ten as series so much.)

I still think there's something to say there, which is probably why I liked the initial rollout of ARGUS in the DCnU. I like that it gave a lot of "weird" for Diana and Steve and Etta to own in the DCU. And I like the layers of spywork, secret identities, and indenty itself as a thing for characters to work through via Diana.

To each their own, I guess. But note, I don't want this as the only area for Wonder Woman to operate in. I see it as just part of her world alongside many other types of stories and adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you're doing an espionage story in a superhero universe, the best character to use is a character who either isn't a superhero or if they are they have to be someone not very famous in-universe. Neither of these apply to Diana. You could maybe do a story about an Amazon character as a spy but that Amazon should not be Diana or any of the other more well known ones.
    Diana doesn’t necessarily have to be the spy to be involved in the world of espionage. Her role is to reform Man’s World, and part of that reform is understanding how the geopolitics of Man’s World works. The way metahumans are used in the struggles for power, as well as people like post-Johns Max Lord who view Diana with either hate and suspicion or like Cale as someone they can manipulate to their own ends can still provide interesting stories for Diana. And given that Trevor IS a spy I don’t think Diana having a foothold in that realm is a bad thing. Superman and Batman are both involved in that area already.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I just want a story that's not neck-snapping so they can move on from that.

It seems 84 will be moved into 750

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...jzClBFsbtfPsn4

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I just want a story that's not neck-snapping so they can move on from that.
    what if she stabs him this time? :P

I honestly wish they'd skip the "heroes don't kill" thing. It's lame and dumb. Sure, killing is bad. But ask a police officer or soldier if they'd do it as part of their job and the answer is probably yes.

Spectacular Member

They do it when there is no other choice, but superheroes are so much more powerfull they always have the choice.