Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Making a deal with a monster is not being responsible.

As far as your earlier argument about "inconvenience" goes this choice was anything but. Peter wanted to save Aunt May badly from his POV the inconvenient option was to let nature take its course. Heck, besides Aunt May herself Marvel's God the One Above All told him Aunt May should die. Yet Peter selfishly decided he knew better than Aunt May herself and even freaking God so he made a deal with a known demonic entity never once considering the possible long-term ramifications of such a pact on himself, others or worst of all the world at large!!!

#NotMySpidey
    I'm glad it's not your Spidey. Your Spidey sounds like a pretty crappy guy. It sounds like your Spidey is a guy that lets people die. When somebody says "don't worry about me, save yourself," he goes "Okay. I will." When somebody tells him "you can't do this," he goes "You're right. I can't. I give up."

My Spider-man is a guy that doesn't let people die if there's anyway he can save them.

And yes, my Spider-man is capable of loosing sometimes and making bad choices, but he does what he can to save people. That's what makes him interesting.

I don't believe for a second he didn't think of the consequences. He knew the consequences. He would suffer so that somebody else would live. That's what being Spider-man is all about. I'm sorry, that's what being any version of Spider-man other than "Your Spider-man" is about.

As for "god" telling him Aunt May needed to die. We never did find out who that was. To me it looked more like Iggy Pop after he'd been dead for a few weeks.

But enough of this. I'm not going to argue One More Day with you Anymore. I've done that enough. You're set in your opinions, I'm set in mine, and the comics thankfully don't agree with you and have given us a Spider-man that saves lives instead of letting people die like a responsible person should.

Thumbs up

Delete post
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-06-2020 at 11:25 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    ....But enough of this. I'm not going to argue One More Day with you Anymore. I've done that enough. You're set in your opinions, I'm set in mine, and the comics thankfully don't agree with you and have given us a Spider-man that saves lives instead of letting people die like a responsible person should.
    You couldn't let this go, could you? If you hadn't taken this last shot, I would have walked away.

What I said was it is situational. I don't think Spidey should normally let people die. Aunt May was at peace and even the One Above All said it was her time to pass. Peter "saved" Aunt May by way of the deal for Peter not for Aunt May nor because it was the right thing to do. He did it because he couldn't live with having "killed" her (in his mind). His motivation was guilt, not responsibility.

Edit - Furthermore, Peter sacrificed someone's happiness to save Aunt May not merely his own. He passively-aggressively pressured MJ into agreeing they would give up their marriage. Your argument for his action being a just one might hold water if he was the only one who had to give something up or suffering the consequences to save another.

In Star Trek the Next Generation as Picard told Graves who had possessed the android Data -

"No being is so important they can usurp the rights of another."
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    ...the comics thankfully don't agree with you...
    The "comics" don't agree with you either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    You couldn't let this go, could you? If you hadn't taken this last shot, I would have walked away.

What I said was it is situational. I don't think Spidey should normally let people die. Aunt May was at peace and even the One Above All said it was her time to pass. Peter "saved" Aunt May by way of the deal for Peter not for Aunt May nor because it was the right thing to do. He did it because he couldn't live with having "killed" her (in his mind). His motivation was guilt, not responsibility.

Edit - Furthermore, Peter sacrificed someone's happiness to save Aunt May not merely his own. He passively-aggressively pressured MJ into agreeing they would give up their marriage. Your argument for his action being a just one might hold water if he was the only one who had to give something up or suffering the consequences to save another.

In Star Trek the Next Generation as Picard told Graves who had possessed the android Data -

"No being is so important they can usurp the rights of another."
    When was his guilt not his primary motivation? It’s literally his defining feature.

If he let May die, he’d still divorce MJ because he’d have to go on the run anyways.

The problem I have with OMD detractors is that they’d be ok if it was MJ with the bullet wound and Peter had to make a deal to save her life.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    When was his guilt not his primary motivation? It’s literally his defining feature.

If he let May die, he’d still divorce MJ because he’d have to go on the run anyways.

The problem I have with OMD detractors is that they’d be ok if it was MJ with the bullet wound and Peter had to make a deal to save her life.
    I beg to differ. His inaction regarding Uncle Ben drove him towards responsibility an outlook based upon hope whereas in OMD he was driven towards guilt an outlook based upon fear.

I can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't have been okay with the deal in either case.

Sorry, no one is ever going to convince me Peter made the right call for honorable reasons during OMD.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.