Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default How do you think Hickman's X-Men "reboot" will impact the Marvel Universe?

Inspired by this Spider-Man thread.

The Marvel comic to read at the moment is easily Jonathan Hickman's soft reboot of the X-Men series, which thus far is easily the best X-Men have been in a very long time. This run will lead to the Dawn of X relaunch, which will give the X-Men and the mutants of the world a brand new status quo, while making them core again after spending so many years being treated like garbage over film rights that are no longer an issue.

Just a recap, the House of X/Powers of X series establishes that mutantkind has been fully restored, and furthermore, are increasing at such a rate that they'll be the dominant species in less than 20 years. They have their own nation, Krakoa, where they will serve as their kingdom until then, and only mutants are welcome. It's very clear that the "generosity" they're presenting is non-negotiable, and Magneto likens the mutants to being the new "gods" of the world. The comic has been well-received by answering so many of the prominent complaints over the years, and giving us a fresh new spin on things, and having a good sense of moral ambiguity. The six series announced in the storylines' wake thus far (X-Men, New Mutants, Excalibur, Fallen Angels, Marauders, X-Force) are all based on the status quo established by HoX/PoX.

The story itself is largely self-contained as it's focused on rebuilding the mutant side of Marvel. Thus far, the only general MU characters to appear outside a brief flashback cameo are the Fantastic Four, in the first issue.

However, I expect that once the status quo is set, it'll bleed into other titles and have massive ramifications across the MU. The whole "mutants will overtake everyone else" thing will likely factor into an overarching plot Hickman has planned just like he did with his Fantastic Four and Avengers runs, leading up to a massive event focused on the mutants and their relationship with the rest of the world that changes the universe forever.

So what kind of effect can we expect?

Some ideas:
    • For one, going by the first issue, I know Reed Richards is very much against giving mutant criminals amnesty just for being mutants. He's definitely going to have a stance against the mutant revolution as it grows. His son being a mutant is also important.
    • On the opposite end, I bet Doctor Doom probably will have something to say about the idea of the world belonging to mutants. I can see him gearing up Latveria and uniting others in an uneasy alliance as preparation for a war.
    • I'm betting the Avengers will try to make peace, but it might not work because of the shaky relationship, and the X-Men pointing out their past conflicts and the Avengers' lack of ability to stand up for mutantkind.

Anyways, what effects can you imagine this having? Discuss.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 09-19-2019 at 06:23 AM.

None of this right now seems like it is the actual mainstream universe. Rather it is probably the precursor to the said reboot.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

I am guessing there will be a big event in Hickman's run that spreads across all the titles a la War of the Realms. Maybe more than one, who knows.

But aside from that, how this will impact the Marvel Universe is in the apocryphal words of Zhou Enlai, "too soon to tell".

HOX/POX is essentially the prologue to Hickman's X-Men run. It's largely standalone and stage-clearing and moving people in positions. It's basically getting the entire cast of X-Men and every mutant (hero, villain, other) on to one sentient island. The real meat will be when Hickman's X-Men #1 (2019) launches.

And to be honest, as someone who's not the biggest fan in the world of events, I don't care a damn for how this might impact the Marvel Universe. Between impact and good X-Men stories, I'd take the latter. CIVIL WAR had an impact on the Marvel Universe but it was a bad story.

Honestly I don't think it'll effect the greater MCU TOO much. Right now it's fairly self-contained, as you mentioned. And I do believe that this will lead to an event or two. But ultimately I think the X-Men will largely revert back to status quo, as what tends to happen with them and comics in general.

Hickman introduced a lot of characters and concepts in his Avengers run which didn't really make it too far past Secret Wars. I suspect the same will be true for his X-men stuff. But we'll see.

It won't impact anything. It won't even impact the X-universe.

New into comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    It won't impact anything. It won't even impact the X-universe.

New into comics?
    No, I've been reading for a long time. But look at how they've promised and have delivered real change, with Marvel priming Hickman as being the next X-Revolutionary that finally moves the brand from replicating Claremont. Comics can change, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    No, I've been reading for a long time. But look at how they've promised and have delivered real change, with Marvel priming Hickman as being the next X-Revolutionary that finally moves the brand from replicating Claremont. Comics can change, dude.
    Depends on what kind of change you're talking about.

X-Men will go back to their regular status quo soon enough

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

The X-Men have always been separate in their own niche especially when they were bigger. They're so separate, it feels like they don't need the rest of the MU to function. Anything that happens will affect the X-Men unless they're ready to mix teams more and not make the majority of mutants X-Men affiliates, which is difficult to do.

When you think of a Marvel event, you think "Wolverine" not "X-Men", which should change to "Jean Grey".

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The X-Men have always been separate in their own niche especially when they were bigger. They're so separate, it feels like they don't need the rest of the MU to function. Anything that happens will affect the X-Men unless they're ready to mix teams more and not make the majority of mutants X-Men affiliates, which is difficult to do.

When you think of a Marvel event, you think "Wolverine" not "X-Men", which should change to "Jean Grey".
    That's not entirely true. It's just that the X-Men have always been fascinating enough that they didn't need outside elements in every issue, but there's still a good amount of crossover. Think like Spider-Man. On the other hand, Iron Man needs those General MU elements to make up for his comparatively bland mythos.

I touched more on this here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ly-modern-view

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

That's not entirely true. It's just that the X-Men have always been fascinating enough that they didn't need outside elements in every issue, but there's still a good amount of crossover. Think like Spider-Man. On the other hand, Iron Man needs those General MU elements to make up for his comparatively bland mythos.

I touched more on this here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ly-modern-view
    "Fascinating" and "bland". I see what you did there. Well, they don't mix as much as I would like them to, and many X-Men fans don't care for anything outside of X-Men books. They had their own cartoons, video games, and comics alone when they didn't need to, and no one complained then or now.

They just complain about having better movies and more comics, not them actually mixing with MU elements.

Extraordinary Member

Most books pretty much ignored Hickman's Avengers right up until Secret Wars, and vice versa, even when writing about characters who were in Hickman's lineup. I doubt it'll be very different when he's working on a line that is (historically) much easier for other books to ignore.

BANNED

A lot of Marvel writers do have a preference for titles that don't mix much. Chip Zdarsky said that he took on Daredevil not only because he liked the comic but that it hardly ever ties into major events and such.

seems pretty self-contained for now. but while i have you here, wtf is going on in Black Panther's book? why are they in space?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A lot of Marvel writers do have a preference for titles that don't mix much. Chip Zdarsky said that he took on Daredevil not only because he liked the comic but that it hardly ever ties into major events and such.
    That, and I've consistently heard the X-Office has a tight grip on the X-books compared to the other creative offices in Marvel. Thus, that can contribute to the synergy being a bit "off" at times, and why I imagine it would be hard to negotiate an X-Men character to be a regular of a non-mutant title, or having a non-mutant from the General MU become prominent in the X-books.

BANNED

That, and I've consistently heard the X-Office has a tight grip on the X-books compared to the other creative offices in Marvel. Thus, that can contribute to the synergy being a bit "off" at times, and why I imagine it would be hard to negotiate an X-Men character to be a regular of a non-mutant title, or having a non-mutant from the General MU become prominent in the X-books.
    Ultimately it's the job of the Editor in Chief to decide how much he wants to synergize and integrate the continuity together and how much they want things to be separate and discontinuous.

Jim Shooter in the 80s managed the tight balance between things being separate and standing apart while also being relatively coherent and interconnected. But others are less adroit or interested in doing things.