Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 109
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    None of this right now seems like it is the actual mainstream universe. Rather it is probably the precursor to the said reboot.


    ?

  2. #17
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    397

    Default

    It will bounce off? Lol more seriously this seems more like legacy which ultimately didn't lead to any profound impact on anything apart from the Avengers living in a mountain made up off a celestials head. Here ultimately it would mean Hickman would have the X-MEN living on Krakoa.

  3. #18
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,441

    Default

    I'm more disgusted by how Hickman's X-Men might impact the X-Men.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  4. #19
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    874

    Default "this will never be the same!!!" foflmao

    It will bounce off
    The Dec. Solicits talk about mutants being the "Dominant Species".

    So while I think in the SHORT term theres a lot of furious rubbing in the X-forums, since the X-men needed a win so badly.


    Meanwhile, the idea that Magneto, Apocalypse, Sinister, and "The Maker X"... and an army of mutants are going to usher the entirety of the MCU into Earth X?


    Seems pretty unsustainable. Xavier's dream deferred.

    But it does remind me that " The PURIFIERS?" were originally the troops of the High Evolutionary; because who do they fight now?

    Finally... This is Beat for Beat the "Children of Tomorrow" story-line from Hickmans ultimate run.

    Cool but just like the Phoenix 5 it's like "THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!"

    Coolest thing is bringing back dead mutants via timeline shuffling and cloning. Some of them are pretty dope.


    but the thing is... if you're following the story I don't think this even her Morira's last reset is it? FFS I've lost count.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

  5. #20

    Default

    If it goes anywhere i think we will start to see small things like the Roxon part posted above...if come summer numbers are doing well i expect a huge cross over.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

  6. #21
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    The Dec. Solicits talk about mutants being the "Dominant Species".

    So while I think in the SHORT term theres a lot of furious rubbing in the X-forums, since the X-men needed a win so badly.


    Meanwhile, the idea that Magneto, Apocalypse, Sinister, and "The Maker X"... and an army of mutants are going to usher the entirety of the MCU into Earth X?


    Seems pretty unsustainable. Xavier's dream deferred.

    But it does remind me that " The PURIFIERS?" were originally the troops of the High Evolutionary; because who do they fight now?

    Finally... This is Beat for Beat the "Children of Tomorrow" story-line from Hickmans ultimate run.

    Cool but just like the Phoenix 5 it's like "THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!"

    Coolest thing is bringing back dead mutants via timeline shuffling and cloning. Some of them are pretty dope.


    but the thing is... if you're following the story I don't think this even her Morira's last reset is it? FFS I've lost count.
    Hickman himself may have lost count FFS ROFL

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    I think it will be fun! The X-Men have been isolated for so long that it feels almost new and novel for them to be front and center again.

  8. #23
    Mighty Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    It's probably going to remain self contained, until some big ass crossover happens and it involves everyone, then back to self contained, probably.

    I do wonder if Hickman is going to try to mess with stuff too much, when Morrison tried that, other writters decided to retcon and make mutants super miserable again, wonder if history will repeat itself.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I do wonder if Hickman is going to try to mess with stuff too much, when Morrison tried that, other writters decided to retcon and make mutants super miserable again, wonder if history will repeat itself.
    A lot of stuff that Morrison did has stuck.
    -- Jean Grey died and remained dead between 2004-2018. That's actually longer than the time she stayed dead post-Dark Phoenix Saga.
    -- Emma Frost reformed and shacked up with Cyclops, a romance which lasted real-time for 10 years. And Emma Frost is now aligned with the X-Men and has been reformed. Morrison's take on Emma, as this Mean Girl Wears Prada type has remained her default characterization.
    -- New characters Morrison introduced have become and remained lasting features -- Stepford Cuckoos, Quentin Quire, Cassandra Nova.
    -- Concepts like secondary mutations and so on.

    The only thing that got reversed big time was Planet X where Morrison tried to give Magneto his own SHED. I personally blame that story on Morrison's editors and chiefly Quesada. He/they didn't want to look like bad guys saying no to Morrison, the first (and as it turned out only) star of the British Invasion to helm one of their core titles, so they ended up looking like fools when they clumsily tried to revert to the status-quo.

    Considering how many heads got turned by "Moira X" and how well it was received, I doubt people are going to go, "Psych! Moira just thought she was a mutant, the memories were impanted by the identical triplet sister of yada-yada-yada". I think that's going to stick and continue.

  10. #25
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    606

    Default

    I wonder if Molly from the Runaways will be offered a place on Krakoa, and she seems excited to have an awesome place to live... until they tell her that only she can go, and her flatscan family is barred from entering. Then I expect her to tell the other mutants to piss off.

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member Holt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A lot of stuff that Morrison did has stuck.
    -- Jean Grey died and remained dead between 2004-2018. That's actually longer than the time she stayed dead post-Dark Phoenix Saga.
    -- Emma Frost reformed and shacked up with Cyclops, a romance which lasted real-time for 10 years. And Emma Frost is now aligned with the X-Men and has been reformed. Morrison's take on Emma, as this Mean Girl Wears Prada type has remained her default characterization.
    -- New characters Morrison introduced have become and remained lasting features -- Stepford Cuckoos, Quentin Quire, Cassandra Nova.
    -- Concepts like secondary mutations and so on.

    The only thing that got reversed big time was Planet X where Morrison tried to give Magneto his own SHED. I personally blame that story on Morrison's editors and chiefly Quesada. He/they didn't want to look like bad guys saying no to Morrison, the first (and as it turned out only) star of the British Invasion to helm one of their core titles, so they ended up looking like fools when they clumsily tried to revert to the status-quo.

    Considering how many heads got turned by "Moira X" and how well it was received, I doubt people are going to go, "Psych! Moira just thought she was a mutant, the memories were impanted by the identical triplet sister of yada-yada-yada". I think that's going to stick and continue.
    Also it's the most interesting development to happen with Moira in quite some time. Especially considering she'd been dead and no writer prior had cared enough to bring her back.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Also it's the most interesting development to happen with Moira in quite some time. Especially considering she'd been dead and no writer prior had cared enough to bring her back.
    I mean, it's the only real interesting thing to happen to her. I may be a newer fan-relatively speaking-but she never struck me as being that interesting.

  13. #28
    Incredible Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Inspired by this Spider-Man thread.

    The Marvel comic to read at the moment is easily Jonathan Hickman's soft reboot of the X-Men series, which thus far is easily the best X-Men have been in a very long time. This run will lead to the Dawn of X relaunch, which will give the X-Men and the mutants of the world a brand new status quo, while making them core again after spending so many years being treated like garbage over film rights that are no longer an issue.

    Just a recap, the House of X/Powers of X series establishes that mutantkind has been fully restored, and furthermore, are increasing at such a rate that they'll be the dominant species in less than 20 years. They have their own nation, Krakoa, where they will serve as their kingdom until then, and only mutants are welcome. It's very clear that the "generosity" they're presenting is non-negotiable, and Magneto likens the mutants to being the new "gods" of the world. The comic has been well-received by answering so many of the prominent complaints over the years, and giving us a fresh new spin on things, and having a good sense of moral ambiguity. The six series announced in the storylines' wake thus far (X-Men, New Mutants, Excalibur, Fallen Angels, Marauders, X-Force) are all based on the status quo established by HoX/PoX.

    The story itself is largely self-contained as it's focused on rebuilding the mutant side of Marvel. Thus far, the only general MU characters to appear outside a brief flashback cameo are the Fantastic Four, in the first issue.

    However, I expect that once the status quo is set, it'll bleed into other titles and have massive ramifications across the MU. The whole "mutants will overtake everyone else" thing will likely factor into an overarching plot Hickman has planned just like he did with his Fantastic Four and Avengers runs, leading up to a massive event focused on the mutants and their relationship with the rest of the world that changes the universe forever.

    So what kind of effect can we expect?

    Some ideas:
    • For one, going by the first issue, I know Reed Richards is very much against giving mutant criminals amnesty just for being mutants. He's definitely going to have a stance against the mutant revolution as it grows. His son being a mutant is also important.
    • On the opposite end, I bet Doctor Doom probably will have something to say about the idea of the world belonging to mutants. I can see him gearing up Latveria and uniting others in an uneasy alliance as preparation for a war.
    • I'm betting the Avengers will try to make peace, but it might not work because of the shaky relationship, and the X-Men pointing out their past conflicts and the Avengers' lack of ability to stand up for mutantkind.

    Anyways, what effects can you imagine this having? Discuss.
    I hope that it resorts in a way that we see a considerable amount of variety in interactions between the humans and mutants, as opposed to being maliciously cornered like it's some religious war.

    As for the Avengers' relationship with them, at the risk of sounding like I'm having too rosy of a view of the world and/or being accused of denying the world's problems, I'll say that I miss when comics like Secret Wars showed more that, despite all the disagreements, shortcomings, and antagonism involved in the humans/mutates' relation with the mutants/X-Men, they're still able to reasonably communicate and cooperate towards a greater good.

    I don't know, some may call it unrealistic, overly-optimistic, or just a flat out joke, and perhaps it can indeed be worded better, but if you ask me, I don't think there's anything wrong with finding and embracing at least a little bit of that hopeful light even in the middle of that destructive darkness, having one's heart in the right place while actively working towards a solution, even if there isn't one close in sight. It just feels more... nuanced and human that way, and would be nice to see if Hickman brought a little more of that after all is said and done.


  14. #29
    Incredible Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Yeah, I hope to see a good variety of interactions too. I also want to see a variety of different motives and reactions to this shift in power.

    A perfect example is Reed being against the mutant revolution. It would certainly have nothing to do with him having any mutant prejudices himself, but rather what it means for all people of Earth. The idea of giving mutant criminals like Sabretooth amnesty just for being mutants doesn't sit well with Reed at all, and I bet he wouldn't like how the mutants are suddenly painting all non-mutants as uniformly bad. Just look at the fact that Krakoa doesn't allow for non-mutants to live there, even their friends and allies both close to the X-Men and in the wider superhero community. Even former X-Men that weren't mutants, such as Omega Sentinel, can't enter (turning her against them in the process). It's made very clear: If you're not a mutant, you're not one of them. It doesn't matter if you were with them or against them before, you're on the outside of the culture.

    Let's not forget the very real possibility that humans could end up enslaved or subject to genocide, what with the think-tank that Krakoa creates, and Magneto referring to them being the "new gods".

    That's the kind of thing that'll make Reed put his foot down. Elsewhere, someone pointed out that being discriminated is one thing, but it doesn't give you the right to treat even those who were kind to you as being lower than yourself when suddenly you're in a position of power. I expect Reed to eventually confront them about it, and pointing out their hypocrisy in the process, that racism of any form is unjust and their treatment makes them no better than the people who discriminated them to begin with.

    Sounds very interesting.

    Hickman is doing a good job at portraying all sides as having a point, being both right and wrong, and making them sympathetic for it. It works a lot better there than Civil War.

  15. #30
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    874

    Default

    I don't know, some may call it unrealistic, overly-optimistic, or just a flat out joke, and perhaps it can indeed be worded better, but if you ask me, I don't think there's anything wrong with finding and embracing at least a little bit of that hopeful light even in the middle of that destructive darkness, having one's heart in the right place while actively working towards a solution, even if there isn't one close in sight. It just feels more... nuanced and human that way, and would be nice to see if Hickman brought a little more of that after all is said and done.
    "HOW DARE YOU EMBRACE OPTIMSIM!!! Steve Rogers DOESN'T CARE ABOUT MUTANTs!" - Enraged X-boards.

    Now seriously I'd like the X-men to be heroes working for the common good. Not a remix of ALL the things they've been fighting against all along.

    I'd like them to come out of thier little corner of the universe and everybody get the message that "This" is what happens when people build super-robot-killing machines.

    Show them ALL the futures they've seen. All the wars and subjugation and show that "No, magneto, building a wall around mutants and bullying the world ISN'T the way".

    They should be marvel heroes fighting for good as well. IMHO.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •