Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Checkmate Appreciation Thread

I really liked Greg Rucka's run on this book and hope to more of the organization in future. Maybe a t.v. series as well.

Such a good series.

Shame we probably won't see much of it in the future due to Event Leviathan. Didio sees too many intelligence agencies in the DCU as a bad thing, but I think competing agencies offers more potential.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Such a good series.

Shame we probably won't see much of it in the future due to Event Leviathan. Didio sees too many intelligence agencies in the DCU as a bad thing, but I think competing agencies offers more potential.
    If he sees too many agencies as a bad thing (where did he say this?), I think Checkmate can have room to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If he sees too many agencies as a bad thing (where did he say this?), I think Checkmate can have room to return.
    Bendis has said that the thing that inspired him to write Event Leviathan was Didio complaining to him about the redundant intelligence agencies in DC comics. So while the fate of all of them after this event is uncertain, all but Leviathan have been collapsed for the time being. Specifically because Didio doesn't want them around it seems.

He says it in about every interview for the event, but here's the first one I think.
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-brian-...than-superman/
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Bendis has said that the thing that inspired him to write Event Leviathan was Didio complaining to him about the redundant intelligence agencies in DC comics. So while the fate of all of them after this event is uncertain, all but Leviathan have been collapsed for the time being. Specifically because Didio doesn't want them around it seems.

He says it in about every interview for the event, but here's the first one I think.
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-brian-...than-superman/
    Normally I wouldn't defend the guy, but it sounds like Didio's problem wasn't so much the number of agencies but rather that they all seemed to do the same thing or were poorly defined. This is a complaint I've seen among fans too. Also, it seems Bendis was the one who chose to write this story rather than Didio passing it on him.

Astonishing Member

Normally I wouldn't defend the guy, but it sounds like Didio's problem wasn't so much the number of agencies but rather that they all seemed to do the same thing or were poorly defined. This is a complaint I've seen among fans too. Also, it seems Bendis was the one who chose to write this story rather than Didio passing it on him.
    Given that you also originally had Cry For Justice nuking all the fictional cities in DC Comics (aside from the big ones), this sort of destructive streamlining is absolutely a result of the Didio run DC Comics where the things he doesn't care for get sabotaged or destroyed while creators working on stuff that he cares deeply about feel like treading on eggshells (ex. Outsiders). He is definitely responsible especially if we believe that he was the one bringing Bendis to DC.

There's still no reason why Checkmate can't just be an arm of Leviathan or division within the structure. And I'm sure that eventually one or more of those branches will start acting on their own and we'll eventually get a "Leviathan Civil War" type story where it will split into different groups again anyway.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Rucka's run was so good. Fire being apart of the team was an added bonus.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

When I saw this thread, I was like, "I KNOW there's another Checkmate appreciation thread I'm subscribed to..."

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-and-discussed

I really liked Greg Rucka's run on this book and hope to more of the organization in future. Maybe a t.v. series as well.
    Rucka's run on the title is one of the great spy comics of all time. It was just what I wanted, desperate for that kind of spy-military stuff, with codenames and twisty plotting and characters you adore.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Rucka's run was so good. Fire being apart of the team was an added bonus.
    Rucka's series was actually my first exposure to Fire, and I think she's great as a result. Have difficulty understanding her relationship with Ice, though.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

If I were writing a Checkmate book, I'd include a large cast but wouldn't use them all at once. Members I'd include are:

Michael Holt

Sasha Bordeaux

Delilah Tyler (Some may remember her as the second Phantom Lady)

John Diggle

Lyla Michaels (based on the non-powered Arrow version)

Roy Harper

Artemis Crock

Ted Kord

Max Lord

Cynthia Reynolds

Zinda Blake

Volcana (as a stand in for Fire)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

But why Max?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    But why Max?
    He was part of the organization pre-Flashpoint. I wouldn't make him a villain though.

Anyone else got their ideas for rosters?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Anyone else got their ideas for rosters?
    I'll keep the old members who would most likely not show up anywhere else like Jessica Midnight, Sasha Bordeaux, Mlle. Marie and Tommy Jagger.

New members:

Bronze Tiger

Nightshade

Bumblebee

Gypsy

Miss Martian

Damage (Grant Emerson)

Roy Harper

Dr. Sarah Charles
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 09-21-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'll keep the old members who would most likely not show up anywhere else like Jessica Midnight, Sasha Bordeaux, Mlle. Marie and Tommy Jagger.

New members:

Bronze Tiger

Nightshade

Bumblebee

Gypsy

Miss Martian

Damage (Grant Emerson)

Roy Harper

Dr. Sarah Charles
    Interesting choices. May I ask your reasons (if you had any particular ones) for using Miss Martian, Sarah Charles and Damage?