Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Checkmate Appreciation Thread

I really liked Greg Rucka's run on this book and hope to more of the organization in future. Maybe a t.v. series as well.

Such a good series.

Shame we probably won't see much of it in the future due to Event Leviathan. Didio sees too many intelligence agencies in the DCU as a bad thing, but I think competing agencies offers more potential.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Such a good series.

Shame we probably won't see much of it in the future due to Event Leviathan. Didio sees too many intelligence agencies in the DCU as a bad thing, but I think competing agencies offers more potential.
    If he sees too many agencies as a bad thing (where did he say this?), I think Checkmate can have room to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If he sees too many agencies as a bad thing (where did he say this?), I think Checkmate can have room to return.
    Bendis has said that the thing that inspired him to write Event Leviathan was Didio complaining to him about the redundant intelligence agencies in DC comics. So while the fate of all of them after this event is uncertain, all but Leviathan have been collapsed for the time being. Specifically because Didio doesn't want them around it seems.

He says it in about every interview for the event, but here's the first one I think.
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-brian-...than-superman/
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Bendis has said that the thing that inspired him to write Event Leviathan was Didio complaining to him about the redundant intelligence agencies in DC comics. So while the fate of all of them after this event is uncertain, all but Leviathan have been collapsed for the time being. Specifically because Didio doesn't want them around it seems.

He says it in about every interview for the event, but here's the first one I think.
    Normally I wouldn't defend the guy, but it sounds like Didio's problem wasn't so much the number of agencies but rather that they all seemed to do the same thing or were poorly defined. This is a complaint I've seen among fans too. Also, it seems Bendis was the one who chose to write this story rather than Didio passing it on him.

Astonishing Member

Normally I wouldn't defend the guy, but it sounds like Didio's problem wasn't so much the number of agencies but rather that they all seemed to do the same thing or were poorly defined. This is a complaint I've seen among fans too. Also, it seems Bendis was the one who chose to write this story rather than Didio passing it on him.
    Given that you also originally had Cry For Justice nuking all the fictional cities in DC Comics (aside from the big ones), this sort of destructive streamlining is absolutely a result of the Didio run DC Comics where the things he doesn't care for get sabotaged or destroyed while creators working on stuff that he cares deeply about feel like treading on eggshells (ex. Outsiders). He is definitely responsible especially if we believe that he was the one bringing Bendis to DC.

I wish that guy would just go away.

I really enjoyed the "Fall of the Wall" arc in Rucka's run.

freddrichsigh

I really liked Greg Rucka's run on this book .
    sammmeee me too really like Greg