Page 87 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1444
    Mighty Member

Super bummer. This is my absolute favorite book. Looking on the positive side, maybe if an artist with a loyal fan base takes the book the book has a chance to last longer. Unfortunately there aren't many artists who sell books on their name alone and I'd be surprised of one of them end up on SG. Not sure any of them would even be a good fit.

I'd like to see Steve Lieber... Or Javier Rodriguez... Marcos Martin would be amazing. It seems like the artist contributes quite a bit to the book besides just art, so assuming that will continue, it makes sense to have a female artist. Squirrel Girl has a large percentage of female readers and it is likely having a female voice as part of creative contributes to that. Veronica Fish and Natacha Bustos would be great picks.

I'm going to repeat my statement about Erica henderson's art. It is incredible in its storytelling ability. Even through its simplicity and lack of detail, it does a wonderful job of properly expressing the variety of emotions all characters have during the stories. Henderson is also capable of switching styles around a bit as seen with a few different covers. I also suspect younger readers will also enjoy trying to mimic drawings of Doreen done in the book as well and the simpler design makes that easier.

I will miss her; she rocked.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm going to repeat my statement about Erica henderson's art. It is incredible in its storytelling ability. Even through its simplicity and lack of detail, it does a wonderful job of properly expressing the variety of emotions all characters have during the stories. Henderson is also capable of switching styles around a bit as seen with a few different covers. I also suspect younger readers will also enjoy trying to mimic drawings of Doreen done in the book as well and the simpler design makes that easier.

I will miss her; she rocked.
    I have done a total 180 on how I appreciate comic book art in some ways. I used to think it's harder to do the super detailed, "realistic" art in the Finch/Lee/Fabok mold. Now I think it is much harder to do the Henderson/Lieber/Marcos Martin style well. The economy of line and weight every nuance carries is so impressive. They can make a panel say so much by changing so little. It also has more charm to me than the more busy, less "cartoony" style. I appreciate the spectacle and craftsmanship of people like Reis and Hitch, but I rarely make a connection to their work like I have to Henderson's and Lieber's.

Henderson has completely defined my favorite series and what I see when I think about SG. In the same way that I see Bagley when I think of Spidey and Kelley Jones when I think of Batman, I'll always see Henderson when I think of SG (which is often).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Super bummer. This is my absolute favorite book. Looking on the positive side, maybe if an artist with a loyal fan base takes the book the book has a chance to last longer. Unfortunately there aren't many artists who sell books on their name alone and I'd be surprised of one of them end up on SG. Not sure any of them would even be a good fit.

I'd like to see Steve Lieber... Or Javier Rodriguez... Marcos Martin would be amazing. It seems like the artist contributes quite a bit to the book besides just art, so assuming that will continue, it makes sense to have a female artist. Squirrel Girl has a large percentage of female readers and it is likely having a female voice as part of creative contributes to that. Veronica Fish and Natacha Bustos would be great picks.
    What did you say about the book lasting longer? Is it in any danger of cancellation? I thought it wasn't. Or it would have been cancelled ages ago.

Does this have something to do with Marvel's relaunch thing? I hope such a thing never comes to pass. That would be among the worst news to hear this side of breaking Superman and Lois' marriage to me.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    What did you say about the book lasting longer? Is it in any danger of cancellation? I thought it wasn't. Or it would have been cancelled ages ago.

Does this have something to do with Marvel's relaunch thing? I hope such a thing never comes to pass. That would be among the worst news to hear this side of breaking Superman and Lois' marriage to me.
    I don't think it is in any immediate danger of cancellation. Its deal with Scholastic plus the fact that it is so critically acclaimed, along with digital and trade sales, help the floppy numbers look better. I was just referring to the general attrition that almost every book experiences. Outside of a few A listers it doesn't seem that anyone can sustain a solo indefinitely right now.

I would think it will get a new #1 when it gets a new artist. That doesn't bother me at all, the temporary boost in sales can only mean good things for this book. I'm with you, the day this book gets cancelled will be one of the absolute saddest comic book events for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I would think it will get a new #1 when it gets a new artist. That doesn't bother me at all, the temporary boost in sales can only mean good things for this book. I'm with you, the day this book gets cancelled will be one of the absolute saddest comic book events for me.
    Probably. I only hope the numbering is only really cosmetic and it's not a "new start" locking the book deep within Marvel continuity. The weird pseudo-616 existence USG has with North and Henderson is amazing. A crossover with this and Avengers would not be what I want.

Don't forget the dual numbering thing - in Squirrel Girl's case, that'd be her current number plus 8. So the issue after 34 could be 1/43.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Don't forget the dual numbering thing - in Squirrel Girl's case, that'd be her current number plus 8. So the issue after 34 could be 1/43.
    I'm somewhat disappointed that Legacy didn't collect both versions of USG into one number. I'm not sure why Marvel chose not to do that.

Yeah, same goes for Ms Marvel. Kamala's 50th issue will now have 31 on the cover.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Probably. I only hope the numbering is only really cosmetic and it's not a "new start" locking the book deep within Marvel continuity. The weird pseudo-616 existence USG has with North and Henderson is amazing. A crossover with this and Avengers would not be what I want.
    Yeah I also love how she's in the universe but not really of the universe, if that makes sense. I didn't mind at all that her part in New Avengers was basically ignored. And I loved New Avengers, I just really like how SG has carved out her own corner of the MU with its own flavor and history. I think the idea of a totally shared universe can get taken too far. It leads to people being more worried about if the story "counts" and getting upset that things are or aren't canon instead of just enjoying the story. I think that's a big reason a lot of books have trouble selling, fans are trying to follow the story of the entire universe and if something doesn't tie in strongly they aren't interested in the book.

You got me worried for a second there. Its quite amazing that it has come so far while its sales aren't flattering. Thankfully, it is far from being cancelled.

But i have heard about this continuity thing for the first time. I thought she was in the Marvel universe proper. That was one reason why she was in Savage Land saving dinosaurs while evil Captain America had taken over.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-13-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    You got me worried for a second there. Its quite amazing that it has come so far while its sales aren't flattering. Thankfully, it is far from being cancelled.

But i have heard about this continuity thing for the first time. I thought she was in the Marvel universe proper. That was one reason why she was in Savage Land saving dinosaurs while evil Captain America had taken over.
    Things like Kraven being a college dean really warp strict interpretation of continuity. It is supposedly 616, but it's better if we don't try to match things up too closely. And that's fine for many of us.

She is - don't forget she was in Ewing's New and U.S.Avengers. But he had Doreen in France during Secret Empire. USG simply skipped over SE and the Savage Land storyline probably takes place shortly before it. It's broad strokes anyway. The other books affect USG (she's mentioned having a teleport device supplied by Sunspot, which is a handy explanation for her seeming to be in two places at once) but USG doesn't effect other books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She is - don't forget she was in Ewing's New and U.S.Avengers. But he had Doreen in France during Secret Empire. USG simply skipped over SE and the Savage Land storyline probably takes place shortly before it. It's broad strokes anyway. The other books affect USG (she's mentioned having a teleport device supplied by Sunspot, which is a handy explanation for her seeming to be in two places at once) but USG doesn't effect other books.
    That's a good way to look at it, other stuff can affect SG but for the most part what happens in SG stays in SG. And I second the idea that that is totally ok. I would hate to bog the imagination and boundlessness of SG down just to satisfy the Continuity Cops. Although sometimes it is funny to see people's reactions to the fact that she canonically beat Thanos and Doom and Dormammu and others.

Very sad news. I loved her art on the book.