Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default What do you think were the noetwrthy stories from Marvel in the last 2 years?

The year is almost over, so I figured that I'd ask you all what you think wereWhat were the most noteworth Marvel storylines from this year and the last, but good and bad, and what made them noteworthy?

Bonus points if you'll tell me what trade/gn they're in, or are going to be in.

BANNED

Stuff I really enjoyed recently

The Punisher: War Machine Vol. 1
    The Punisher: War Machine Vol. 2
    Defenders Vol. 1: Diamonds Are Forever
    Defenders Vol. 2: Kingpins of New York
    Iron Fist Vol. 1: The Trial of the Seven Masters
    Iron Fist Vol. 2: Sabretooth - Round 2

Oh and if you like Star Wars, then

Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith Vol. 1: Imperial Machine
    Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith Vol. 2: Legacy's End
    Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith Vol. 3: The Burning Seas
    Star Wars: Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith Vol. 4: Fortress Vader

...But tbh it's kinda hard giving any recommendations without knowing what kind of characters you usually follow and enjoy reading...

All-New Member

oooh! Big List! Thanks!

And yeah, don'y worry about what you think I'll like or dislke, just tell me what you liked.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Rainbow Rowell, and Kris Anka on the Runaways relaunch is the first physical Marvel series I've bought regularly in nearly Five years. Some folk will go on about events or whatever the Avengers are up to, but those never get me into the shop.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Rainbow Rowell, and Kris Anka on the Runaways relaunch is the first physical Marvel series I've bought regularly in nearly Five years. Some folk will go on about events or whatever the Avengers are up to, but those never get me into the shop.
    Yeah, I've heard rally good things about Runaways

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3 by Duggan and later Zub

Thanos by Lemire and later Cates.

I'd recommend Champions: Northern Lights (TPB 4, Zub's first). The trade includes issues 19-21 that form the Northern Lights arc and introduces Snowguard, and the two Infinity Countdown tie-in issues which have major repercussions for Ironheart and Nova.

Also notable:
    • Phoenix Resurrection, which isn't good, but brought back Jean Grey after 14 years dead.
    • Death of the Mighty Thor, the final arc of Jane Foster's Thor.
    • Avengers No Surrender, which disassembled the ANAD teams.
    • Avengers: Final Host, which assembled the current roster.
    • Infinity Countdown/Wars, for turning Gamora into a villain and whacking Thanos.
    • Extermination, which isn't as good as the X-Men Blue series that preceded it, but ends with the time displaced O5 X-Men gone and Cable replaced with a younger version, and also features the reassembling of X-Force, so it's certainly notable.
    • World War Hulk II, which was the last arc for Amadeus Cho's Hulk. He became a new hero named Brawn at the end of it (he's still in Champions, which revealed the new codename).
    • Secret Empire, which had a major effect on both Captain America and Falcon, and was the debut of the new Patriot.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Avengers: No Surrender (End of ANAD-Avengers and introduction to Voyager, Challenger and The Immortal Hulk.
    Thanos by Donny Cates. Seems to be a statement piece on what he plans to do while writing for Marvel. Introduction to Cosmic Ghost-Rider (love him or hate him, Marvel isn’t going to stop pushing him.
    Phoenix Resurrection. (Jean Grey back from the dead)
    Spider-Man: Go Down Swinging (Dan Slotts finale after his 10-Year-Run on Spidey)
    Venom by Cates/Stegman (HUGE revelations to the symbiote/s and their histories)
    Immortal Hulk (a new spin on the Hulk and a GREAT run so far)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'd recommend Champions: Northern Lights (TPB 4, Zub's first). The trade includes issues 19-21 that form the Northern Lights arc and introduces Snowguard, and the two Infinity Countdown tie-in issues which have major repercussions for Ironheart and Nova.

Also notable:
    • Phoenix Resurrection, which isn't good, but brought back Jean Grey after 14 years dead.
    • Death of the Mighty Thor, the final arc of Jane Foster's Thor.
    • Avengers No Surrender, which disassembled the ANAD teams.
    • Avengers: Final Host, which assembled the current roster.
    • Infinity Countdown/Wars, for turning Gamora into a villain and whacking Thanos.
    • Extermination, which isn't as good as the X-Men Blue series that preceded it, but ends with the time displaced O5 X-Men gone and Cable replaced with a younger version, and also features the reassembling of X-Force, so it's certainly notable.
    • World War Hulk II, which was the last arc for Amadeus Cho's Hulk. He became a new hero named Brawn at the end of it (he's still in Champions, which revealed the new codename).
    • Secret Empire, which had a major effect on both Captain America and Falcon, and was the debut of the new Patriot.
    Oooh! this is the kind of post that I was looking for. Thanks!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

When did they cancel Ultimates? That was the last series that I subscribed to without missing an issue.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    When did they cancel Ultimates? That was the last series that I subscribed to without missing an issue.
    I was gonna ask the same thing because that would have been my suggestion, but not sure when it ended.

I didn’t find anything of worth in ANAD. It’s like “No Direction” is the theme of the last 3 years. If you had an overseer looking at the Marvel Universe on Prime Earth, he has been chopping and changing without deciding to promote a definite push anywhere. It started as tentative steps in Uncanny Avengers, switched to a villains solution in Avengers Standoff, an attempt at Minority Report in CWII, dislike of super heroes in Secret Empire, then a revision in Marvel Legacy that has no sincerity, revisiting old themes like Infinity gems and Disassembled. If it’s the Dark Reign, make it so. If it’s the Heroic Age, make it so. The pendulum has just been swinging between one or the other.

No Surrender
    Secret Empire

Anyone who reads all of Spencer Captain America gets a free smooch from me.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    During Secret Empire. So it counts as being in the last two years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman