Page 45 of 97 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd suspect pulling an extra Squirrel Girl out of one's hat would be a difficult task and one that really shouldn't be commonplace.
    . . . Dammit. Now I want someone to draw a picture of Squirrel Girl pulling herself out of a magician's hat. Ooh! And the Magician Squirrel Girl can be saying, "Wrong hat." And the one being pulled out of the hat can say, "And now here's something we hope you'll really like!"

Someone draw this for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I'm pretty sure the contingency for an evil Squirrel Girl is another Squirrel Girl.
    If i got so thrilled on how is Squirrel Girl going to beat Doom ( i'm still waiting for my copy to arrive ), I'm more thrilled to know how could SG win against her evil self.

I just love the idea.

It was something I also had in mind if I were writing a Storm ongoing solo. She will also be fighting against her evil self.

Sorry for mentioning Storm. I just couldn't resist comparing my idea to North's idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd suspect pulling an extra Squirrel Girl out of one's hat would be a difficult task and one that really shouldn't be commonplace.
    You'd have to have a pretty big hat just for the nuts.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

oh, Tiamatty, that trick NEVER works!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

anyone here looking forward to USG#6 (w. Howard the Duck)? I am so reluctant to see this. Really, really liked Howard in the first dozen or so of his first (long-ago) series, and haven't been able to stand any of his reiterations, scrupulously avoiding his new series (no matter how often I take a look at a new issue on the shelves I just can't bear it--). Won't be getting the "follow-up" (HTD) to this issue unless USG 6 so absolutely fabulous I 'have to' see the story's end. If it weren't a Squirrel Girl comic, I surely wouldn't be getting this at all. sigh.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

I'm looking forward to the team-up so I would know more about Howard the Duck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I'm looking forward to the team-up so I would know more about Howard the Duck.
    Howard rules! If you haven't yet, grab anything by Steve Gerber.

I agree with Gotterdamnnerung (the previous poster, not the end of the world) about HTD: go look into the very first series by Steve Gerber (as well as Gerber's Defenders [the Elf! the Elf--watch out for thBANG], his Manthing, and his Omega the Unknown (also far more interesting than the much later take). Especially in this (cough) election year, the first series of Howard the Duck is particularly relevant and entertaining up through (and, alas, pretty much ending at) the Star Wars parody, where it all begins to go downhill, IMO. HTD for President is as sharply critical of politics today as it was then. Howard's title, not so much, these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I agree with Gotterdamnnerung (the previous poster, not the end of the world) about HTD: go look into the very first series by Steve Gerber (as well as Gerber's Defenders [the Elf! the Elf--watch out for thBANG], his Manthing, and his Omega the Unknown (also far more interesting than the much later take). Especially in this (cough) election year, the first series of Howard the Duck is particularly relevant and entertaining up through (and, alas, pretty much ending at) the Star Wars parody, where it all begins to go downhill, IMO. HTD for President is as sharply critical of politics today as it was then. Howard's title, not so much, these days.
    You said it! Gerber's Man Thing is what made my after the fact discovery of Swamp Thing a very bored experience. Gerber was really a creative writer, he had great ideas, and they showed through in spades all over Howard and Man-Thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    i sometimes get the feeling writers these days are afraid of making clear political statements or they just aren't allowed to make any

like I'll see several writers having a clear as day political mind set and then they act completely opposite of that in the books they write even if it involves politics

it makes me fear for the book "Vote Loki" when the writer just tells fans the book is whatever you want it to be and that it can mean anything you want it to

politics aren't a mystery and if someone wants to make a statement they can't just leave it up to the public what that statement even is

they gotta speak up and make it known

they can't act all honest and neutral wearing kid gloves in comics when they have no problems attacking certain political parties or politicians on the same social media accounts they use to promote the books

BANNED

Well, I think Chrysalis has a point, but a really good, resourceful writer can creatively veil such political statements. The points that Gerber was trying to get across were all imaginatively cloaked...I like to think any great artist is capable of that, regardless of era.

BANNED

true but if you are writing political satire you can't be nice and kind to everyone then it just loses it's effect on the world and it's readers

some points that need to be made today can't be cloaked or hidden you have to speak up about them very loudly otherwise they'll go undetected and get ignored destroying the entire purpose of the book and the point it was trying to make

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    true but if you are writing political satire you can't be nice and kind to everyone then it just loses it's effect on the world and it's readers

some points that need to be made today can't be cloaked or hidden you have to speak up about them very loudly otherwise they'll go undetected and get ignored destroying the entire purpose of the book and the point it was trying to make
    Excellent points. But I can't help but think there are clever ways to get your point across without being unnecessarily flammable. Just me I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    Excellent points. But I can't help but think there are clever ways to get your point across without being unnecessarily flammable. Just me I guess.
    some people won't learn unless it's shoved in their face

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    some people won't learn unless it's shoved in their face
    That's a given, but there are subtle ways of doing even that (there are masterpieces of literature that do just that). Or perhaps you don't want to see that, which I respect in a Nietzschean way.