Question Any G.I.Joe comic/trade Recommendations?

I used to read the Hama comics and watch the cartoon when I was little and recently watched the Warren Ellis G.I.Joe movie/series and was looking to read more. Any recommendations from the recent (past 5 years) of comics being published? Not really looking for transformers/crossover stuff. Would prefer something more mature like the Ellis series.

Thanks!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I don't think it falls into the 5 year window you suggested, but the G.I. Joe: Cobra series by Mike Costa, Christos Gage, and Antonio Fusa is probably something that would be up your alley. It started in 2009, and is probably one of the best pieces of Joe media out there. Outside of one of two stories from Hearts and Minds by Max Brooks it makes most of the franchise just feel juvenile, and pointless in comparison.

There's the initial Four issue mini, which was followed by a 13 issue second series, which was then followed by a third series that lasted for 21 issues. There's probably more to it than that, but during the third series the G.I. Joe books were relaunched/renamed fairly frequently. It's super easy to have missed something due to not knowing it was being published. Ten years later I'm still not sure if I have read everything.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-16-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Cool thanks. I looked at some previews online. Looks like GiJoe crossed with Serpico. I'll check it out.

Incredible Member

Not necessarily in the 5 year window, but the GI Joe Disavowed trades are awesome. They follow the Devils Due series which was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I don't think it falls into the 5 year window you suggested, but the G.I. Joe: Cobra series by Mike Costa, Christos Gage, and Antonio Fusa is probably something that would be up your alley. It started in 2009, and is probably one of the best pieces of Joe media out there. Outside of one of two stories from Hearts and Minds by Max Brooks it makes most of the franchise just feel juvenile, and pointless in comparison.

There's the initial Four issue mini, which was followed by a 13 issue second series, which was then followed by a third series that lasted for 21 issues. There's probably more to it than that, but during the third series the G.I. Joe books were relaunched/renamed fairly frequently. It's super easy to have missed something due to not knowing it was being published. Ten years later I'm still not sure if I have read everything.
    I used to own every issue of Hama's G.I. Joe series for Marvel, and having reread #1-100 in more recent years, I think some of it has aged surprisingly well.

But the best G.I. Joe comics I've ever read are compiled in the G.I. Joe: Cobra: The Last Laugh volume, which I read through the Hoopla e-book service that my local public library offers. Check to see if your public library system offers Hoopla, and they might have it. It was outstanding. Very mature (not in a titillating way), dark, and reminiscent of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' brilliant series Sleeper.

*late to the party with Starbucks*

Check out Comixology Unlimited if you're OK with digital. Most of the IDW GI Joe books (plus the GI Joe Classics collecting Hama's Marvel run and the Devil's Due books under the IDW banner) are available on that service. For $6 a month, it's a good, cheap way to sample a wide variety of what's available and decide what grabs you.