Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I'm over events. Age of Ultron and Original Sin were the last two events I attempted to follow even for a few issues. They do little for me and largely feature characters I have no interest in. Or in these two cases, feature characters I really enjoy so utterly out of character, I'll go back to ignoring events as I had prior to those.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Honestly I don't care. I rarely read the tie-ins and just enjoy the event.

Personally I think yearly events are fine, Marvel having big crossovers with lots of characters interacting in a fun story can be cool. The problem is when Marvel tries to have each event result in dramatic status-quo changers.

I don't suffer from this fatigue, but some events just aren't interesting. Stopped buying Original Sin with the last issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Honestly I don't care. I rarely read the tie-ins and just enjoy the event.

Personally I think yearly events are fine, Marvel having big crossovers with lots of characters interacting in a fun story can be cool. The problem is when Marvel tries to have each event result in dramatic status-quo changers.
    I think a big issue with some here is that it's no longer a yearly thing. There's a month between Original Sin and AXIS and there won't be more than 3 months between AXIS and the already spoken about Hickman event in the spring.

Having so many events with tie-in's really hurts the monthlies ability to stand on it's own and separate itself from all of that.

Probably. It's already showing. Original Sin is selling less than 90k by issue 4. Even Fear Itself did better, and that one was terrible.

Although Axis will probably do better, given that it has Avengers and X-Men on the title.

I understand the concerns about Marvel having too many events, especially when they release them close together. But my problem is mainly the price. Original Sin had an intriguing story at the start, but not really $4.99-worth of intriguing, in my estimation. So, my vote with my wallet would be that it's too much money for too little substance. (But I know others feel differently about the series, and I think it's great that people enjoy it.)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    I only hate events that are not events. Original Sin is NOT an event. It's a typical story that Marvel turned into an event to cash in on. There's nothing about it that says "event". Hell, the last 20 or so issues of Uncanny Avengers felt more like an event than Original Sin.

Secret Invasion is another example. Bendis openly stated it was written and made to be an Avenger story and Joe Q forced it into becoming an event, I think that hurt the story quite a bit.

I didn't think Infinity needed to be an event either. That one actually had something the above two lacked, a good story., But I think it could have been contained in monthlies.

Civil War was an event. Nothing has been in that scope since. I honestly feel like Marvel is just trying to catch lightning in a bottle over and over again after the success of Civil War and personally, have not come close since.

You do these things so many times, they stop feeling like events. To me, they have become extensions to the stories in ongoing titles. Almost like an additional mini-series to pick up. The word "event" is kind of dead in it's true meaning and extremely overused.
    This. I dont mind events if they are done well or they need more room to tell the story but not when a story could have been told in a regular arc in the flagship title.

That said, I am actually interested because Nightcrawler is supposedly playing a significant role and that rarely happens in big crossovers but as Ive learned from hype that this may be overblown and he could be in just a panel or two. So now I'm a wait and see for big events through word of mouth and reviews. I don't have the money to throw away, sadly. So I'm going to be veeery careful about this event. I also cant quite possibly fathom Onslaught as that really wasn't a well received story from most fans. I'll give Remender on thing - he's certainly ambitious.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    I think a big issue with some here is that it's no longer a yearly thing. There's a month between Original Sin and AXIS and there won't be more than 3 months between AXIS and the already spoken about Hickman event in the spring.

Having so many events with tie-in's really hurts the monthlies ability to stand on it's own and separate itself from all of that.
    Don't forget Spider-Verse inbetween Sin and Axis.

BANNED

I am just considering the events an extra title now and something that ties the lines together. They have been pretty much back to back for 2 years now. I feel they have such a hard time keep continuity between titles at the current time that this is an easier way for editors to ensure they stay tied and "consistent" as much as possible.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I was suffering from event fatigue but it's a pretty easy problem to solve. I sat out of Shadowland, Fear Itself, AvX and Age of Ultron. Unfortunately I didn't have the sense to pass on BotA but the break did me good. After suffering from burnout I really enjoyed Infinity and Original Sin has been cool thus far.

I just buy the events that interest me so I can't get event fatigue. I won't be getting Axis but I will get Spider-Verse and I'm enjoying Original Sin for the most part.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I understand the concerns about Marvel having too many events, especially when they release them close together. But my problem is mainly the price. Original Sin had an intriguing story at the start, but not really $4.99-worth of intriguing, in my estimation. So, my vote with my wallet would be that it's too much money for too little substance. (But I know others feel differently about the series, and I think it's great that people enjoy it.)
    My problem isn't so much the price as the page count. The $4.99 issues of Infinity were bigger than the ones that Original Sin's had so far. Plus I dig Jim Cheung a lot more than Mike Deodato.

Secret Wars & House of M are the last two events that had some long lasting effects.

People have been complaining about event fatigue for at least ten years. If you don't like a story, don't buy it. I skipped Avengers vs. X-Men for the most part as well as Age of Ultron, but I bought Infinity, I'm buying Original Sin, and I plan on buying AXIS because I like the writers involved and the stories being told interest me. If they didn't, I wouldn't buy them. I don't really care if they're events or not.

BANNED

I passed my limit a few events back.