Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why are Marvel's Superheroines Less Popular overall than Dc's?

This title is self explanatory. I saw this topic on a forum called Neogaf And I thought this would help bring up discussion on how to push Marvel Heroines more effectively in the public consciousness by looking at how the competition does it and how to apply it to your own characters.

Personally I think Dc has better Utilized is female characters in Multiple Cartoons and Tv shows more effectively to make sure people have atleast a Vague understanding about who alot of characters are.

Mighty Member

Besides wonder woman and Catwoman, I really don't think that Dc is doing much better than Marvel.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

I cannot say about an overall comparison. However, the immense success of the of the Wonder Woman film and the modest success of the Supergirl tv series sure gives DC a head start over Marvel. Perhaps the Inhumans tv series might help Marvel in the fall?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Besides wonder woman and Catwoman, I really don't think that Dc is doing much better than Marvel.
    Now now, throw in Harley Quinn, Supergirl, and Batgirl (Poison Ivy maybe) as well. I'm not including Lois Lane since she's not a superheroine (Red Tornado Earth 2 version notwithstanding)

As for why DC heroines may be more popular... *shrugs* Maybe some just have more consistent memorable looks, been in more shows or movies (good or bad), been around longer, have big stories attach to them, or what not. Could be any number of reasons.

As for Marvel heroines... does anyone here have any really big superheroine story that people know about whether it be good or garbage(Avengers #200 or Disassembled) or do you know of any iconic runs involving superheroines and just them (anything before 2007 let's say)?

BANNED

I'd say that people know who Black Widow, Gamora, Cap Marvel, Mantis and arguably Storm as much as Wonder Woman( more known from the tv show and merch far more than the comic for decades), Batman's female villains and Supergirl.

Folks just want to cherry pick "who knows about who for these specific reasons"

Wonder Woman is the only truly popular DC supeheroine, imo. Super Girl is known because of Superman. pretty much everyone else is known because of Batman (Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn).

I suspect part of it might be the specific characters who become popular. DC's biggest female characters are Wonder Woman, with 75 years of history, Supergirl, with a very long history connecting her to one of DC's biggest characters, and then Batgirl, Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman, who are all connected to Batman, DC's other biggest character. Marvel has no female characters who are really in quite the same positions. Spider-Woman was only created in the '70s, with no connection to Spider-Man. She-Hulk debuted in 1980, and didn't really interact with the Hulk for a long time. And I don't think any of Marvel's characters are really on the same level as Batman, in terms of popularity.

There is also the fact that DC's been better at using those characters in other media. Harley even debuted in other media, before her popularity led to her being imported into the comics.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I'd say that people know who Black Widow, Gamora, Cap Marvel, Mantis and arguably Storm as much as Wonder Woman( more known from the tv show and merch far more than the comic for decades), Batman's female villains and Supergirl.

Folks just want to cherry pick "who knows about who for these specific reasons"
    Not Captain Marvel yet. Still nothing outside of Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (aka, only movie characters allowed here for free) for her. Also, who is Mantis again?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Wonder Woman is the only truly popular DC supeheroine, imo. Super Girl is known because of Superman. pretty much everyone else is known because of Batman (Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn).
    I don't think being a part of a male hero's franchise should devalue how popular those characters are.

Even if they're connected to those specific franchises, I would still say they are very popular and iconic characters in their own right.

Honestly, I think Marvel never gave a damn about their female characters until around 5 years ago. They never even tried to push popular female characters who were on teams to be more than a part of a team, but they gave the guys chances.

Invisible Woman is the only member of the FF who Marvel seems against interacting outside of it often
    Jean was killed off and Marvel never tried using her increased popularity after the phoenix saga to push her.
    Storm was more popular than Wonder Woman in the 90s and what did Marvel do with her? Nothing.

And the sad thing is that there are many more female characters that Marvel has ignored for years. What's even worse is now they will purposely hamper female characters who could potentially be great because they don't own the film rights to the X-Men or Fantastic Four.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    This title is self explanatory. I saw this topic on a forum called Neogaf And I thought this would help bring up discussion on how to push Marvel Heroines more effectively in the public consciousness by looking at how the competition does it and how to apply it to your own characters.

Personally I think Dc has better Utilized is female characters in Multiple Cartoons and Tv shows more effectively to make sure people have atleast a Vague understanding about who alot of characters are.
    Because many of those female characters are associated with frigging BATMAN and SUPERMAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I suspect part of it might be the specific characters who become popular. DC's biggest female characters are Wonder Woman, with 75 years of history, Supergirl, with a very long history connecting her to one of DC's biggest characters, and then Batgirl, Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman, who are all connected to Batman, DC's other biggest character. Marvel has no female characters who are really in quite the same positions. Spider-Woman was only created in the '70s, with no connection to Spider-Man. She-Hulk debuted in 1980, and didn't really interact with the Hulk for a long time. And I don't think any of Marvel's characters are really on the same level as Batman, in terms of popularity.

There is also the fact that DC's been better at using those characters in other media. Harley even debuted in other media, before her popularity led to her being imported into the comics.
    Well, Harley is like X-23; debuted in the a cartoon, then came to comics and has her own book.

And yeah; overall, i dont think that there is much difference, it's just that just like with Batman and Superman, some female DC characters are super popular, much more than the rest of the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Because many of those female characters are associated with frigging BATMAN and SUPERMAN!!!
    Who have had a lot of cartoon and movies about them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    As opposed to be associated with the frigging X-Men, the frigging Avengers, or the frigging Hulk, or the frigging Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    ... What? No way, no how do people know any of those Marvel characters (sans possibly Storm due to her iconic look) as much as Wonder Woman and Catwoman (and probably Lois, Ivy, and Harley). Black Widow, Gamora, and Mantis are all new additions to pop culture while the DC women have been relevant outside of the comics since the 60s and earlier.

What about Zatanna? She was weirdly famous and pretty old school.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”