Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Bane became a joke for the longest time after Knightfall was over. It ended around the time of Tom Hardy's performance in TDKR which brought a lot of respect for the character.
    I was about to say, I was like "Bane's not a joke" lol

I don't think Bane was perceived as a joke in comics after Knightfall. He played an important role in Legacy and had a minor but cool contribution in No Man's Land. Maybe after NML and before Gail Simone chose him to be in Secret Six he became unimportant. In the New 52 I would say he was more of a joke even when DK Rises boosted his fame until Tom King decided to use him in Rebirth. Outside comics, he has been a joke in some adaptations even nowadays but from time to time he has stuff like Over the edge, Dark Knight Rises and Arkham Origins. I don't care about Hush, but I wouldn't call him a joke. Scarecrow is closer to have become a joke, which is sad because I think he's a pretty cool villain
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

The problem with Bane is that in adaptions or during certain periods like the New 52 he got reduced down to just yelling out "I will break you Batman!" and getting easily taken out by having his venom tube cut, a far cry from the calm, collected, schemer of Knightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The problem with Bane is that in adaptions or during certain periods like the New 52 he got reduced down to just yelling out "I will break you Batman!" and getting easily taken out by having his venom tube cut, a far cry from the calm, collected, schemer of Knightfall.
    I think there's no denying that Bane has had some pretty poor adaptations, but I don't think in comicbooks he has fared so bad. As a Bane fan, New 52 was weird to say the least. Bane featured in many storylines, making more frequents apparitions than before, but he was poorly written and/or the story was bad, with some exceptions, of course.

What Spencer is aiming for with Kindred depends on what are his final plans with the villain. Does he want to do an epic where the fate of Kindred is decided and his arc finished or will he leave the door open for the next writer to do whatever he wants with the character, like he did with Stevil? Of course, if the villain is popular, Marvel can always pull an "Elektra" on him and resurrect the character
    Last edited by Chubistian; 09-26-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think there's no denying that Bane has had some pretty poor adaptations, but I don't think in comicbooks he has fared so bad. As a Bane fan, New 52 was weird to say the least. Bane featured in many storylines, making more frequents apparitions than before, but he was poorly written and/or the story was bad, with some exceptions, of course.
    I think New 52 started the trend in the comics of milking him constantly talking about breaking Batman's back or reminding people he broke Batman's back ad nauseam even though he was effectively little more major then the average Rogues Gallery member.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    This is a mildly meta response, but it's Kindred that believes Norman is enemy #1. While it's quite possible Spencer believes that as well, it may speak more to Kindred's point of view than anything else. Kindred being any of Stromm, Harry, Gwen, Baby May, Emily Osborn, Captain Stacy, time traveling Normie Osborn, or Norman's evil-er twin Gorman* would be pretty biased about Norman's malevolence and place in the spider-foe rankings.

As to what Kindred is/will be, he's clearly not good, and he's not really a friend in the traditional sense. He could be like Hunter Zolomon to Wally West - a brain-addled super powered person who thinks his role in life is to make the hero better; he could be a crazy stalker like Venom was initially; he could be a heroic person driven mad by his time in Hell (which would be kind of like Ben in CC). I'm kind of inclined to think he's the first one - he's intending to test Peter to make him better and capable of dealing with some upcoming calamity**. That kind of idea would tie in thematically with the initial arc where Peter was split and had to make himself whole, Kraven's obsession in Hunted, and Peter trying to undo and/or take responsibility for some of his many mistakes.

*I made that one up. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the real answer

**We're getting to the point if there isn't a 2020 Mephisto event then Marvel is just wasting our time with all his appearances
    War of Goblins and Spiders throughout time is coming soon. * Lol

BANNED

Legacy also doesn't do Bane any favors as it throws away the character development he had undergone before to be portrayed as a savage loser who has delusions of godhood and was called out as a simple maniac by Batman during the fight. Not exactly a flattering portrayal of the character. As to jokes, Batman's whole rouge gallery has become a joke in King's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Legacy also doesn't do Bane any favors as it throws away the character development he had undergone before to be portrayed as a savage loser who has delusions of godhood and was called out as a simple maniac by Batman during the fight. Not exactly a flattering portrayal of the character. As to jokes, Batman's whole rouge gallery has become a joke in King's run.
    I think his portrayal in Legacy, though jarring when the story was released, makes sense after reading the story that was published later, Bane of the demon, that served as a prequel to Legacy. I won’t comment about King’s run, because it would only serve to derail the thread. Back to Kindred, I think there’s a difference with villains like Hush, Bane or Doomsday, that were created for a particular story, that with a mysterious villain that plots in the shadows while other stories are told in the run

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    War of Goblins and Spiders throughout time is coming soon. * Lol
    The Goblin-Spider Wars would be a great idea for a third installment of the Spider-Verse saga, with Norman Osborn recruiting every (evil) version of himself that he can find across the Multiverse to go to war with Spider-Man and his counterparts across the Multiverse.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The Goblin-Spider Wars would be a great idea for a third installment of the Spider-Verse saga, with Norman Osborn recruiting every (evil) version of himself that he can find across the Multiverse to go to war with Spider-Man and his counterparts across the Multiverse.
    Huh, I like this idea.

- Jason G. Carr

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Huh, I like this idea.
    Thanks, I got it from Desmark.

Also, Kindred summed up perfectly why Norman Osborn is the number-one foe Spider-Man has ever had, because ultimately, he did so much more to hurt the man behind the mask of Spider-Man than the others ever did. Even Venom (Eddie Brock) in his most villainous never came close, because he had a twisted sense of honor and fair play that wouldn't let him involve those he saw as innocent. For Osborn, everything and everyone in Peter Parker's life was fair game to be used against him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.