View Poll Results: Do you like Superman being the centre of the universe?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

29 60.42%
  • I dislike it

6 12.50%
  • I'm ok with it

13 27.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman, Centre of The Universe

I've recently caught up on Doomsday Clock and reading #10, it was revealed Superman's the center of the universe itself, and every change regarding him effects the universe at large. Of course this is not an entirely new concept, since Geoff Johns teased this in Infinite Crisis, With Alexander Luthor stating "Everything comes from Superman" I'm just curious as to how people feel about this idea. I personally like it, since I think Superman should be important, he's arguably the world's first superhero, and he's the epitome of everything a hero is and should be.
    Last edited by GSman; 09-19-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Went with "ok" since I don't feel strongly enough about this that I'm gung ho about the universe literally revolving around him.
    But if there is a character to do it with if we need to do it at all, it should be Superman. We do not have the DCU without him coming along and being successful, it pretty much was built up around him.

I'm rather indifferent, so I chose okay. I don't need him to be the center of the meta/multi/universe either way. But the biggest reason I'm indifferent is that even when they say that, its all lip-service and no follow-through anyway. Its been stated in two events now, Infinite Crisis and Doomsday Clock, and they've never done anything with it at all. There's nothing that the character gains by such a title in the tangible materials. Indeed instead with stuff like Final Crisis, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Metal, Last Knight on Earth, etc, it'd be far more honest for them to just go ahead and say what everyone already knows; that in practice, the center of DCU is Batman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-19-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Considering years of DC making Batman the center of attention including this Walk Of Fame announcement, this is kind of a compensation.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm rather indifferent, so I chose okay. I don't need him to be the center of the meta/multi/universe either way. But the biggest reason I'm indifferent is that even when they say that, its all lip-service and no follow-through anyway. Its been stated in two events now, Infinite Crisis and Doomsday Clock, and they've never done anything with it at all. There's nothing that the character gains by such a title in the tangible materials. Indeed instead with stuff like Final Crisis, The Return of Bruce Wayne, Metal, Last Knight on Earth, etc, it'd be far more honest for them to just go ahead and say what everyone already knows; that in practice, the center of DCU is Batman.
    Batman, is definitely the more marketed of the two, and more heavily featured in stories, though I don't think because of that, it makes him the center of everything. Looking back at some of those stories, you mentioned primarily the Big ones like Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis, Superman himself, was of more importance in those stories than Batman himself. Look at IC I'd say Superman was the focal point of it, with Kal-L the very first Superhero, literally being the catalyst for the multiverse being brought back, and Superman ultimately being the one to put Superboy Prime down. Not to mention him playing a way larger part in Final Crisis with him being the one to defeat Darkseid himself. And I'd say in Rebirth that prominence has been maintained as well. With the splitting of Supermen, and merger, changing continuity. I see no evidence that Superman isn't the main focus, of things. Batman may get more exposure, but when it comes go the big stories Superman is always the main focus of it.

And the stories with Batman, you mentioned are literally made to be focused on Batman, that much is obvious in the title alone. But when it comes to the stories with huge implications, that involves everyone, Superman is the priority.
    Last edited by GSman; 09-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Retired

In theory, it's a good concept--but it's all in the execution. I haven't read DOOMSDAY CLOCK--but at its molasses pace, it seems like a slow moving disaster.

I remember when John Byrne tried to establish, in GENESIS, that Jack Kirby created the DC universe. Because there was this thing called the Godwave that originated from Jack Kirby's Fourth World. I could see that Byrne wanted to pay homage to his hero, King Kirby, but it seemed wrong to make Jack the author of the whole DC universe.

Likewise, I don't agree with saying that Superman created DC. Superman was published in 1938 and the comics that would be DC started in 1935. Jack Woods should have the honour of being DC's progenitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In theory, it's a good concept--but it's all in the execution. I haven't read DOOMSDAY CLOCK--but at its molasses pace, it seems like a slow moving disaster.

I remember when John Byrne tried to establish, in GENESIS, that Jack Kirby created the DC universe. Because there was this thing called the Godwave that originated from Jack Kirby's Fourth World. I could see that Byrne wanted to pay homage to his hero, King Kirby, but it seemed wrong to make Jack the author of the whole DC universe.

Likewise, I don't agree with saying that Superman created DC. Superman was published in 1938 and the comics that would be DC started in 1935. Jack Woods should have the honour of being DC's progenitor.
    There's a difference between being the center of something and being it's creator. Nothing that's been written implies Superman created the universe, just that he's the very center of it. Though, I most admit, even though I don't know much at all about Jack Woods, he's seems like an interesting character, but Superman's still considered the world's first superhero, that honor belongs to him. DC today, and everything related to superheros, originated and was built off of Superman. And because of that it makes sense DC would want him to be the center of their universe, over a character that's not been seen or heard of in 70 years.

I'm okay with it.

I want Clark to be super human, but not super natural. He can (and should) be one of the most important people in history but I don't need reality hinging on his actions (other than him saving it from bad people). I dont need him to be a fundamental force in the universe; he's not the Green, the Speed Force, or the emotional spectrum. No one needs to be channeling the "power of El" or anything (though....maybe as a re-imagining of the Supergirl earth angel thing.....no, I need to stop that line of thought now).

But I can interpret Clock as just saying that Clark's heroics are so great, that his actions have such an impact, they create ripples in reality that affect everything else. That's just saying he's really, really, really good at his job (also; there's been a lot of unintended consequences to all the crazy stuff he's done) and I'm fine with that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm indifferent.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Depends how you use the idea. Final crisis and Red son both used it well.
    Superman is the blueprint of the Super-hero. For better or worse he has informed every Super hero character after him and as the wellspring the genre bloomed out from, it makes for nifty meta commentary.

But in universe I don't care for it to be anknowledged

Astonishing Member

As a meta thing, I like it. DC Comics sort of all traces back to Action Comics #1 and Superman's debut. The idea that this is true fictionally as well makes some sense to me, but as others have said it works best as a background detail.

Things like any external force from outside the DCU altering reality by messing with Superman, if used sparingly, are fun. Having Lex Luthor kill Superman (even as his current Apex Lex version) and it affect reality should be avoided.

Anything from within the DC Multiverse should be sort of bound by that multiverse and this be effected by changes to it. Kill Superman and if there is any effect you simply become part of all the other things changed retroactively. That should go for every DCU multiversal Big Bad from Mxyzpttlk to the Spectre to the (Anti-)Monitors to Perpetua to the Presence.

I don't like it; mainly because I really dislike the idea that the whole creation revolve around one character. It could be Batman, Darkseid, Orion, Giganta or Mera, it would be the same to me. It really bother me. I find that it's too close to the idea that human beings are the center of everything that exist, and it's a concept that I think as led us to the brink of oblivion, because of our inability to admit that we aren't more important than any other living thing on Earth, that we don't have some special destiny, or anything of the like.

So, it's really basically just a case of me not liking the idea of one guy at the center of everything. A Universe, I can dig it. one person, I can't, so sum it up.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't like it; mainly because I really dislike the idea that the whole creation revolve around one character. It could be Batman, Darkseid, Orion, Giganta or Mera, it would be the same to me. It really bother me. I find that it's too close to the idea that human beings are the center of everything that exist, and it's a concept that I think as led us to the brink of oblivion, because of our inability to admit that we aren't more important than any other living thing on Earth, that we don't have some special destiny, or anything of the like.

So, it's really basically just a case of me not liking the idea of one guy at the center of everything. A Universe, I can dig it. one person, I can't, so sum it up.
    But.. But, i thought superman was space-Jesus. /s
    On a serious note, i agree. The thing that should be given back his status as the first public superhero, atleast of the modern age.that is, if golden age generation is on the same earth and clark is not part of that generation. Golden age gen would have tribute older prototype superheroes like phantom, mandrake, zorro.. Etc

It could be done.for instance, the young justice tv series had a period where government banned superheroes. Clark could be first one who defied the government/law and became a superhero followed by "the bat" of Gotham . It could be like in older golden age stories where clark used to run from the police. He would start a movement that will reestablish "supers". With Public support, clark will usher in "the age of heroes".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-20-2019 at 03:08 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Eh stuff like this never matters. Unless you make Superman an actual character that stands for legitimate stuff and has agency, saying "he's the center of everything" and "he's great because he's Superman" really lacks any meaning beyond being meta fan stuff.

I'm sick of being told how important Superman is, but never being shown it. Superman is a man of action.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Yeah, I like it, This isn't a new stuff, From an OWAW afterwards Superman: Man Of Steel issue Superman also being stated he was the center of universe, And later during Infinite Crisis, Johns also established "everything comes from Superman" concept. So there are lots of clues through the Superman history
    Besides, Superman also has many special meanings for the comics industry
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 09-20-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)