View Poll Results: Do you like Superman being the centre of the universe?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

29 60.42%
  • I dislike it

6 12.50%
  • I'm ok with it

13 27.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Voted Yes in the sense that Superman is the greatest superhero. He is the heart of the DCU to me.

Ok with it.

Really dislike Clark being a predestined chosen one in-universe, but at this point, I'll take almost any avenue that lends Clark increased respect within the DCU.

I do like it only as a meta commentary that Superman will always be the Big Bang that directly led to everyone who came after him.

I absolutely love it. I don't *need* it, but I love it.

That said, it needs to be background info that only a VERY select few know about - like Doctor Manhattan, and maybe one or two other maxi-cosmic beings. 99.9999999999999% of all life in existence has no clue that this is the case.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    But.. But, i thought superman was space-Jesus. /s
    No no no. He's space-MOSES.

Come on man, get it together.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Eh stuff like this never matters. Unless you make Superman an actual character that stands for legitimate stuff and has agency, saying "he's the center of everything" and "he's great because he's Superman" really lacks any meaning beyond being meta fan stuff.

I'm sick of being told how important Superman is, but never being shown it. Superman is a man of action.
    Careful with those radical thoughts. It hurts our bottom line to showcase our characters as anything less than second stringers to our sacred bat.

What, did you want to raise sales or something? Perish the thought, the goal is to look like the last sane men and women on a sinking ship so as to be vindicated by history.

I'm ambivalent towards it, leaning not liking it. On the one hand, nice meta nod to guy who made this genre boom as it did and to the two guys who made it all happen. On the surface, it's great... But Clark's not been that important in at least twenty years and won't be until DC editorial gets weeded out. It's not that they don't want to fix him, I sometimes think they do, but this squad is incapable and need to be removed. Not shuffled, they gotta go and their influence with them.

They have to stop trying to "fix" the character and actually start celebrating him before they pat themselves on the back as they did in Doomsday Clock.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-23-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Better Superman than Batman.

Spectacular Member

I like it because I am fan of Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns's metafictional settings and interpretation about DC and entire comic genre.

BTW,why do people(Non Superman fan) hate this interpretation and even ignote it?
    Since 2000's It has been implied in Big event like Infinite Crisis or Final Crisis.
    This interpretation is nothing new.
    Last edited by catman; 09-25-2019 at 04:03 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm a Batman guy, always will be, but when it comes to in-universe DC events I want Superman front and center. Superman should be the nexus around which the DC Universe revolves.

Superman is the guy that saves the Earth, Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse, and to a slight degree everything should revolve around his power, will and strength of character. His inherent goodness (sorry, I couldn't think of a better word) should always be the light in the darkness and at the last stand, when all seems lost, his strength should deliver us all from evil and annihilation.

This concept was used fantastically in Morrison's JLA run, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Final Crisis. Whenever the big event doesn't revolve around Superman (at lease peripherally), it feels lacking.

I feel Superman books (or at least one of the two) should be his dealing with crazy Earth, Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse threatening problems. Also, he should be seen as special, as the hero all others (yes, even Batman) aspire to be in some small way.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm a Batman guy, always will be, but when it comes to in-universe DC events I want Superman front and center. Superman should be the nexus around which the DC Universe revolves.

Superman is the guy that saves the Earth, Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse, and to a slight degree everything should revolve around his power, will and strength of character. His inherent goodness (sorry, I couldn't think of a better word) should always be the light in the darkness and at the last stand, when all seems lost, his strength should deliver us all from evil and annihilation.

This concept was used fantastically in Morrison's JLA run, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Final Crisis. Whenever the big event doesn't revolve around Superman (at lease peripherally), it feels lacking.

I feel Superman books (or at least one of the two) should be his dealing with crazy Earth, Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse threatening problems. Also, he should be seen as special, as the hero all others (yes, even Batman) aspire to be in some small way.
    You are hired.

Loved everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    You are hired.

Loved everything you said.
    Seconded. Sounds great to me!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Spectacular Member

Doomsday Clock 10 was a good example of the sliding timescale at work. Batman and Wonder Woman also does this. Taking the keys starting characters and updating them to present day.

Spectacular Member

I have been said "liar" for what I said Superman has been the center of universe in Morrison's work.
    But, isn't Morrison one of them(like Geoff Johns) who made this interpretation popular?

He often used this interpretation in Final Crisis,All Star Superman,etc.
    Last edited by catman; 09-29-2019 at 03:57 PM.

BANNED

Doomsday Clock ? i dropped it at issue 4. There are still people who read that dumbster fire... lol

Spectacular Member

Who introduced this interpretation into DC universe?
    Grant Morrison? Geoff Johns?

BANNED

I prefer him as the radius of the superheroverse. Seriously though every other major superhero does seem to stem from some or other aspect of Superman or Batman like Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Spider Man etc. There's even a meta reference about it in Superman and Batman where Mxy says that he drew inspiration from specific aspects of the world's finest duo in order to come up with the ersatz Avengers team.