Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All-New Member

If nothing else, I would leave it out since it seems to contradict the Robin 2 mini. Here, Joker says "it's a shame he has a new brat", but when he meets Tim in the Robin mini, he goes beserk with confusion saying "I killed you!"

All-New Member

The Joker Interview has been added between Impulse # 50 and Batman: Arkham Asylum - Tales of Madness # 1

All-New Member

The bottom half of my list needs some serious tweaking.

Should I add the entire Hush storyline or just keep it to the one issue? Same question for Under the Red Hood. Is everything in order? I've not read anything really past Last Laugh so...?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post
    The bottom half of my list needs some serious tweaking.

Should I add the entire Hush storyline or just keep it to the one issue? Same question for Under the Red Hood. Is everything in order? I've not read anything really past Last Laugh so...?
    Hush - Joker was in three issues. Batman #613, when he allegedly "shot" Thomas Elliott, final page, Batman #614, Batman's chase and beating of him, claiming innocence, and Batman #615, Harvey Dent's visiting his cell, to essentially "Red Herring" up a possible Hush identity in front of him.

I'd keep it as those issues, as really, I have my Hush memories, as having to pay ten dollars per individual part(s) off the back issue bins, and the story is rather sectionalized anyways, like the Killer Croc chapter, the Poison Ivy chapter, the Scarecrow chapter, the Clayface chapter, ect.
    Last edited by ngroove; 09-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post

Legends of the DC Universe # 26-27

(Notes - A post-Crisis Joker story that is a direct sequel to the classic pre-Crisis Joker story "The Laughing Fish". Still, "The Laughing Fish" will have to be omitted from this list but if you really want to read it anyway, Detective Comics # 475-476)
    Why would "The Laughing Fish" be off the list? To my knowledge, Pre-Crisis Batman stories were still in canon, unless explicitly retconned out. I think Steve Englehart's run would mostly have still been in canon.

(It certainly was in canon in the New 52, since it was referenced by Snyder in Death of the Family.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Why would "The Laughing Fish" be off the list? To my knowledge, Pre-Crisis Batman stories were still in canon, unless explicitly retconned out. I think Steve Englehart's run would mostly have still been in canon.

(It certainly was in canon in the New 52, since it was referenced by Snyder in Death of the Family.)
    That would be a question on "Overall Picture, what still fits". It's easy to say, whenever Doctor Phosphorus shows up, he came from Detective Comics #469-470. Black Mask, his first battle may still stick as Batman #386-387, Detective Comics #553. Even Penguin, since he never really had a definitive "Year One" encounter against Batman to say otherwise, may still be as back as Detective Comics #58.

But, every era had its own mythology. And every Crisis, Flashpoint, Rebirth, many things start over.

This, the topic, should be New Earth, Post-Crisis Batman, DC Universe, from Man of Steel #1 (July 1986) to all comics, cover dated August 2011. And during that period, Post-Crisis Batman has had LOTS of stories to redefine his past, what he is. And so did Post-Crisis Joker, as his origin was reclarified on "The Killing Joke", first showed a card of clue of his presence at the end of Year One, Batman #407, and many of their rewritten early battles went across Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight and Batman: Confidential, along with maxi-series Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
    Last edited by ngroove; 09-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    That would be a question on "Overall Picture, what still fits". It's easy to say, whenever Doctor Phosphorus shows up, he came from Detective Comics #469-470. Black Mask, his first battle may still stick as Batman #386-387, Detective Comics #553. Even Penguin, since he never really had a definitive "Year One" encounter against Batman to say otherwise, may still be as back as Detective Comics #58.

But, every era had its own mythology. And every Crisis, Flashpoint, Rebirth, many things start over.

This, the topic, should be New Earth, Post-Crisis Batman, DC Universe, from Man of Steel #1 (July 1986) to all comics, cover dated August 2011. And during that period, Post-Crisis Batman has had LOTS of stories to redefine his past, what he is. And so did Post-Crisis Joker, as his origin was reclarified on "The Killing Joke", first showed a card of clue of his presence at the end of Year One, Batman #407, and many of their rewritten early battles went across Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight and Batman: Confidential, along with maxi-series Long Halloween and Dark Victory.
    True. But there's nothing suggesting that "The Laughing Fish" wasn't still in canon...especially considering that, as you pointed out, it had a sequel story set in Post-COIE continuity.

The Post-COIE retconning of Batman's past largely concerned his early years - from Year One up until the arrival of Robin and Batgirl. The 70's/early 80's era stories were never explicitly erased from continuity - apart from Jason Todd's origin, which was completely rewritten.