Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Empress Hippoltya

What do you guys think about her? Do you think she should be back? I kind of hoped for a Diana that was her slave or just a warrior to her mother.

Zero interest in her or the dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think about her? Do you think she should be back? I kind of hoped for a Diana that was her slave or just a warrior to her mother.
    There's a lot of growth potential for Empress Hippolyta and Dimension Chi, though I admit her about face and origin didn't make much sense. You can't have too many Amazons.

What would have been a better origin? I would have said that maybe the Doom Gate actually lead to the dark face of the Amazons. That the world needs to be protected from these Amazons. That they are somewhat New 52 Amazons. They only saw the way to make Paradise is to take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There's a lot of growth potential for Empress Hippolyta and Dimension Chi, though I admit her about face and origin didn't make much sense. You can't have too many Amazons.
    I'd disagree with the last: right now we have too many Amazons. The trouble is that most of them are far too undefined—barely more than a name. We have far too many Amazons who are mooks and far too few who have personalities and relations.

One of the tragedies of Wilson's storyline was that it didn't get to really land on Themyscira—explore Diana's relations to her sisters and show how they reacted as individuals to these changes, or to Nubia's actions. For myself, I think the forced timeline due to YotV is to blame.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

With how often they've been attacked and killed, I can't imagine that "too many Amazons" will ever be an issue we have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    With how often they've been attacked and killed, I can't imagine that "too many Amazons" will ever be an issue we have to worry about.
    Yeah, that's why I say you can't have too many. Half got killed by Darkseid in Byrne's run, then more during the 10 year war with Circe's monsters in the other dimension, then more when O.M.A.C.S. attacked the island, then more during Amazons Attack, Our Worlds at War, etc. by the beginning of Flashpoint there should have been like 3 left.

Kjn has a valid point about their characterization, but we need a lot of Amazons because so often they're used as cannon fodder. Hell just recently a lot were turned into Parademons and left the island and that hasn't been mentioned since. Then half of what remained sided with Grail.

So if someone wants to create a dimension where more exist, even if they're currently evil, I'm fine with it.

However it wouldn't be an issue at all if there was some way for the Themyscirans to replenish their ranks.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-21-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Why not have the Amazons allow to have children? Or some Amazons leave and recuse women near the coast. But how should the Chi dimension actually come back?

However it wouldn't be an issue at all if there was some way for the Themyscirans to replenish their ranks.
    In the Perez version (which is my favorite), I would have liked to see Gaia continue to collect the souls of (some) women killed by male violence - or, in a variation, killed in war. And every 900 years (or whatever), the patron goddesses would incarnate as new Amazons on the island. This would give us some distinctions among the Amazons - some of an "older" cohort, some of a younger - and would be a way to replenish the Amazon race over the centuries.

Of course, it wouldn't do much to make up for the tendency of writers to wipe out large numbers of them in frequent current-day stories.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

As for Empress Hippolyta and the Chi Dimension, it was a neat idea to do some dimension hopping to get to Diana's Themyscira, but I think Orlando's take on it had some really questionable underpinnings, with tying abortion to being evil and motherhood to being good. Together with how underdeveloped Themyscira is in the first place, I see no reason to go back to Dimension Chi.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

What do you guys think about Empress becoming an ally? Should it stay in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think about Empress becoming an ally? Should it stay in the comics?
    Like the Bana-Mighdall tribe or the Citizenry space Amazons I think Dimension Chi should remain a storytelling option even if it's rarely seen or referenced just like they're rarely seen or referenced. Were it up to me I'd tie Empress Hippolyta's dimension to the fake Themyscira of the New 52 and Rebirth. That seems so much simpler than our Hippolyta imagining it and creating it out of thin air. It also avoids the implications that KJN finds so uncomfortable. Perez himself alluded to multiple lost tribes, it would be interesting if they existed in different realities that occasionally became aligned so they could exchange technology and tactics and learn from and police each other. Of course there's also the possibility of an epic War of the Amazons but Wonder Woman is all about redeeming enemies and turning foes into friends.

Just watched Queen of Outer Space, it's a delightfully cheesy 1958 movie starring Zsa Zsa Gabor. It comes on at least once a year and this is my 3rd viewing. Now I realize why I like Empress Hippolyta so much, she and her Amazons have the same campy over the top quality, Orlando gets it!

Queen 2.jpg

Queen 3.jpg

Like the Bana-Mighdall tribe or the Citizenry space Amazons I think Dimension Chi should remain a storytelling option even if it's rarely seen or referenced just like they're rarely seen or referenced. Were it up to me I'd tie Empress Hippolyta's dimension to the fake Themyscira of the New 52 and Rebirth. That seems so much simpler than our Hippolyta imagining it and creating it out of thin air. It also avoids the implications that KJN finds so uncomfortable. Perez himself alluded to multiple lost tribes, it would be interesting if they existed in different realities that occasionally became aligned so they could exchange technology and tactics and learn from and police each other. Of course there's also the possibility of an epic War of the Amazons but Wonder Woman is all about redeeming enemies and turning foes into friends.
    Wait I have a better idea. What if these Amazons did exist by another Greek god? Like Ares wanted to make his own amazons but it backfired?

Just watched Queen of Outer Space, it's a delightfully cheesy 1958 movie starring Zsa Zsa Gabor. It comes on at least once a year and this is my 3rd viewing. Now I realize why I like Empress Hippolyta so much, she and her Amazons have the same campy over the top quality, Orlando gets it!

Queen 2.jpg

Queen 3.jpg
    I love that crazy film.