Remember that show Disney had, Ultimate Spider-Man? It lasted nearly five years, which for a run is pretty good. Unfortunately, the show itself isn't good... when it could've have been. That feels like the most painful thing, when something that could be good isn't.

Ultimate Spider-Man could have been a worthy follow-up to fill the void of Spectacular Spider-Man if it were handled better. It being about Spidey's adventures throughout the wide Marvel Universe, there was potential in seeing how Spider-Man played off all these different elements and characters (compared to SSM only having access to Spider-Man characters and concepts). There are many, many characters that people love, some deep cuts and obscure references to different eras of the comics (both of the past and the most recent stories), influences from other continuities like Ultimate Marvel, older animated series, and the MCU, some cool reimaginings of different characters, and at times you can see what they were going for.

Problem is, the writing is so bad. The humor often feels forced, and they know nothing of moderation. It's hard to take a fight that's supposed to be serious when Spidey's constantly making loud quips, interrupting the fight to do a gag, and those fourth-wall breaking segments with Peter's monologue. There's just no balance, and they don't know when to quit.

Also, Peter's portrayal is very annoying. His voice in particular is grating, and I really hate to say that because I like Drake Bell. I think it was the direction more than him that faltered, because in Drake & Josh his performance as the lead helped make that series a classic.

For a good demonstration:

Finally, I feel like many of his so-called friends often act too mean to him. I know Spidey doesn't always get respect from everyone, but come on, these are his teammates and the other main characters, and he gets treated like a nuisance. It just makes you apathetic.

I find it funny how it was written by Paul Dini, Bendis (back when he was still a decent Marvel writer), and Man of Action, all of whom have made great stuff before (Dini even made the freaking Batman: The Animated Series!), yet it was still bad. Was it executives meddling with them, tight constraints, or just off days? Who knows.

However, for as bad as the show was, it's still way better than the new Spider-Man series. That show is completely bad. But seriously, can Marvel just get Greg Weisman and have him make an animated series? That's what the world needs.

Anyone else feel the same way?