Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How would you fix your favorite DC comic book or character

If you could put your two cents in, how would you tell DC Comics to fix your favorite comic book(s) or character(s)?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No idea. Sales down they don't care. Popular in other media they don't care. Mediocre review they don't care. Also I heard they reject writers with a good reputation who are interested in writing the character. Short of actually replacing the people in charge I don't know.

To be honest, the sales only down 4K so it's not really that much of a difference... maybe if it sells only 10K they start moving... like... should they make an effort if 22K people are still buying despite anything that happens to the character?

If the buyers are indifferent should I ask them to be different if they can get their money someplace else? Would it matter if they're okay with that number?

Would it matter if the character/book is canceled since they still have animation, movies, and classic back issues that people keep buying?

Would it matter if they're not interested in investing in the character in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    If you could put your two cents in, how would you tell DC Comics to fix your favorite comic book(s) or character(s)?
    Have Dick Grayson come out of his amnesia with his pre-2001 personality, more or less. I'd like the ages right (not the de-aged-to-21 New 52 setup) but the really important part is getting Dick back. And if there's a personality shift with his memories returning (which seems likely), I'd like him to have one of the personalities he did when I most liked him (first half of 1980s or last half of 1990s, but really almost any 1970-2001 version except Robbins' would work).

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd love to see a shift in thinking from TPTB.
    The Flash Family would be back.
    Jay Garrick, Barry Allen and Wally West are ALL operating within the DCU and ALL as the Flash.
    I would also completely disregard Geoff Johns' retcon of the Speed Force - it was a shitty attempt to elevate one character above all others and made no damn sense.
    DC will also start publishing two Flash titles - one with Barry headlining the other focusing on Wally and the rest of the Flash Family.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Dick Grayson is in a double-trap right now. It is VERY obvious the problem with his current situation.

But even before he got Dicked, he was still broken and in a bad spot. His thematic narrative had been diluted by the glut of teenage characters in Gotham following him from behind while being trapped from moving ahead behind the shadow of the Almighty Bat. This leads writers like King and Tynion to lump in and equivocate Dick with his various successors. Regardless of your opinions each character, the “Robins” shouldn’t be on equal standing. In general, Dick was too stuck to the Batman universe playing sidekick again.

Long before he lost his name, his book was still mediocre garbage not worth reading. He continued to do forgettable things in his little knock-off Batman title doing nothing of importance building up changes that never stuck around more than six issues before getting railroaded by Batman events or creative team changes.

His leading franchise, despite their resounding success in other media have floundered for decades. Worse than that, as the star of his own book, Dick had little room to grow or change as a part of that team, hamstrung into consistency with his utterly safe and boring book. So despite being the most popular character of the franchise, Dick was stuck playing a stagnant second fiddle.

Looking at this, two things are clear: the Batman franchise is not the way forward for Dick and half-committing to a franchise half-committed in him isn’t doing him any favors either. So I’d go all in on the Titans. Cancel his solo to allow for creative freedom and put him front and center of the Titans books. Let writers tell more creative stories with him than generic leader or “Batman-lite.” Hell, with Batman and the Outsiders, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and the former Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, maybe put him in the lead to consolidate the two titles.

And most importantly, he can’t come back to a Lobdell or a Percy. Hickman has expressed interest on the Titans. Let him loose on it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Hickman has expressed interest on the Titans. Let him loose on it.
    Now THAT is a book I would pick up!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I would restore Dick Grayson (yeah, I know he's been mentioned already, but he's my favorite character in superhero comics) to his proper status as The Center of the DC Universe. Respected by all who came before, a leader to his peers, and a leader and mentor to those coming after. But I can be pretty naive.

I'd also put the JSA back on Earth-2. Give them back Sues/Bats/WW/Robin etc. Let the Golden Age characters breathe naturally again as opposed to being crammed into one world again. Same with the Marvel Family.

Boisterously Confused

At this point, cold boot into four imprints.

World's Finest: the main DCU. The Trinity, Aquaman, and Green Arrow are rebooted to to something as close to their most classic depictions as an update for today will allow. Duplicated characters (Flash/GL/Atom/Hawkman) are given as an intensive a makeover as the brands got in the Silver Age. There are a variety of titles included.

All-Star Comics: this is the Pre-Crisis Earth-2, but based on the assumption that time moves slower than here. It has a sliding time-scale that's perpetually in the 1970s. Most of the titles feature The Charlton characters, plus the Immortal characters of E2 + Infinity, Inc.

Adventure Comics: this is the Pre-Crisis Earth-1, roughly on the same timeline as World's Finest, but always about 15 years behind. There's only one title, but this is our Astro City-esque look at E1's legacy. This is where Wally West, John Stewart, Donna Troy and Nightwing shine.

Vertigo: this our out of continuity line where several main characters live in their own worlds. Crossovers are forbidden. Action features Superman and related backups. Detective features Batman and co. Sensation stars Wonder Woman. Mystery in Space is headlined by Green Lantern, but also includes other cosmic heroes. The Brave and the Bold features Flash and select others. Showcase has a rotating cast.

World's Finest, Adventure, and All-Star occasionally crossover, but Vertigo is off-limits.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 09-20-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Jason Todd? Other then bringing back Artemis and Biz (which is happening anyway), perhaps promote it more? Lobdell really does a good job with Jason overall, and has since Rebirth began.

Lobo... It was great to see him return in Rebirth, and even had an interesting time with the JLA (shortlived though it was). And even after, had some interesting moments with younger characters.
    Then we have the current Teen Titans. Crush being Lobo's daughter, I was interested to see how the two would interact, given his recent history. Turns out, that history was basically tossed aside. Would have loved to see a different direction taken, like Lobo going all "tough love" on Crush, Crush not wanting to be associated, and Lobo being, in his way, overprotective of Crush. But nope. Had to be the whole "Year of the Villain" thing.

Jon Kent. Ugh. So much potential, thrown away so Bendis can have his shot at the Legion. Though to be honest, I was only ever vaguely interested in the Legion, and this latest turn only killed what interest I had in it. It may sound harsh, but I want Bendis' work on Jon (and his parents in that regard) undone. The kid had barely gotten his feet on the ground before this all happened, with tons of potential tossed by the wayside. Nevermind the likes of his friends back in Hamilton County.

Damian Wayne. Tomasi on Detective is good. Glass on Titans, mixed bag at best. Bendis in Leviathan... He can't write Damian at all. Its some bland imposter pretending (poorly) to be Damian. Rebirth Titans was a way to get people interested in the series, doing nod to the NTT group. The new group is still kind of interesting, but the whole Justice Lords thing really put me off.

Get rid of Damian Wayne and Jon Kent and put a rule against biological kids for the Big 7 going forward.

BANNED

Get rid of family man Superman and try something very different, but very appropriate with him. Put him in outer space with Maxima. No Clark Kent, no Smallville, no Metropolis, no Lois Lane. Build a fascinating new cosmic tapestry with Superman using many ideas that are already there--Warworld, Phantom Zone, the Phantom Zone criminals, New Gods, Braniac, Legion, and so on--and introduce good new ideas. This is a setting where it's easier to have Superman cut loose and showcase what's so super about him.

The character has been failing to satisfactorily capture the imaginations of the public at large for a long time. I think it's high time to try something different, and I personally don't feel like families are the way to go with that.

short of resurrecting Dwayne McDuffie, relaunching Milestone completely independent of DC and taking Vixen, John Stewart, Minighter and Apollo*, Duke Thomas, Kenan Kong, Silencer, Black Lightning, The Immortal Men, Bronze Tiger, Jaime Reyes, Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) and Cyborg with them? iunno. realistically, I'd start by getting new blood in the leadership, preferably people of color who aren't satisfied bending over backwards to justify the equivalent of paid fan fiction of the **** they've seen when almost all of the strongest most "iconic" characters of color (*and other minority groups) in their universe are woefully underserved; especially in comparison to Marvel.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-20-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh! Found it! If DC really don't care about Dick, Wally, Donna, and their generation, then let's just erase them from comic series canon, and focus on expanding them in the original graphic novels.

There, like in Titans and Young Justice, there's no Justice League generation to restrain them. They can be as powerful and relevant as they like, they can grow old and have kids, and we can even have the Justice League generation to retire and have grandkids.

They don't have to be in the main canon series along with the others as long as they have good stories and for new readers, the OGNs are easier to get into and target the Trade crowd which is a different crowd than the single-issue buyer. Place them in the regular book store and they'll get more casual audience than if they're limited to LCS

DC doesn't have to worry the Titans generation will be more popular than Justice League in the same continuity, new readers don't have to worry about long continuity, old readers don't have to be disappointed by character treatment since the main canon are no longer their concern, and writers are free from editorial.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    short of resurrecting Dwayne McDuffie, relaunching Milestone completely independent of DC and taking Vixen, John Stewart, Minighter and Apollo*, Duke Thomas, Kenan Kong, Silencer, Black Lightning, The Immortal Men, Bronze Tiger, Jaime Reyes, Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) and Cyborg with them? iunno. realistically, I'd start by getting new blood in the leadership, preferably people of color who aren't satisfied bending over backwards to justify the equivalent of paid fan fiction of the **** they've seen when almost all of the strongest most "iconic" characters of color (*and other minority groups) their universe are woefully underserved, especially in comparison to Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh! Found it! If DC really don't care about Dick, Wally, Donna, and their generation, then let's just erase them from comic series canon, and focus on expanding them in the original graphic novels.

There, like in Titans and Young Justice, there's no Justice League generation to restrain them. They can be as powerful and relevant as they like, they can grow old and have kids, and we can even have the Justice League generation to retire and have grandkids.

They don't have to be in the main canon series along with the others as long as they have good stories and for new readers, the OGNs are easier to get into and target the Trade crowd which is a different crowd than the single-issue buyer. Place them in the regular book store and they'll get more casual audience than if they're limited to LCS

DC doesn't have to worry the Titans generation will be more popular than Justice League in the same continuity, new readers don't have to worry about long continuity, old readers don't have to be disappointed by character treatment since the main canon are no longer their concern, and writers are free from editorial.
    I would love for a Life Story-esque comic series to be released. I didn't like the way Generations did it.

The problem with sidekicks and successor characters is that they can easily become redundant if the original stays around.

People have a hard time letting go of their favorites. Having the characters age would justify their eventual removal from the story.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I would kill Barry Allen.

Yeah, Wally and Barry can co-exist, yada yada yada, but at this point I just don't care.

Kill Barry, give Buried Alien (I care about no other Barry fan) a written apology and a fat check, make Wally the Flash.

Fixed.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!