Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greek Mythology

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Since Zeus isn't a biological human, however Hippolyte conceived Diana, it wasn't by natural means. So you have all of Greek mythology before you and you pick the most obvious, most over-used agent for Diana's conception. You could pick Gaia, you could pick Aphrodite. Since it's a divine conception, there's no need for the agent to be one or the other sex. It could just be a spontaneous miracle. It would be different if the writers wanted to say there was nothing miraculous about Diana's birth and Hippolyte got pregnant the old fashioned way. But once you bring Zeus into it, it just seems the most generic version of what folks think is Greek mythology--rather than looking to all the other ways that beings were divinely created in the ancient myths.
    You’re only proving my point. All the “other ways” are OTHER ways. I like the brand centrality of it. It’s simple and obvious until you stare at it... and it gets ugly and complicated and layered and difficult and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You’re only proving my point. All the “other ways” are OTHER ways. I like the brand centrality of it. It’s simple and obvious until you stare at it... and it gets ugly and complicated and layered and difficult and deep.
    Not really. Zeus is about the most generic (and worst) choice to choose from considering the literal pantheon available. He literally represents the worst aspects of men in his long history of raping, pettiness, murder, deceit, pride, etc.

Really hoping it gets retconned out at some point in the future, as most other aspects of the New52 have already been erased. The clay origin for Diana was fine.

uhh OVIDS Metamorphosis would be an awesome and sexy ass movie... Maybe starring Johnathan Taylor Thomas??!

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Didnt know that, so there you go we got Athena, Hestia, and kinda Hades. Posideon avoids incent does that put him above Zeus in wokeness? Lol
    Uh Athena effed up poor Arachnids life for doing better needle work. and pretty sure Posideon I'd the Father of Pegasus...you know there was some beastiality there

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    Pan (the god of shepherds and the wilds laso the root of the word PANIC)
    YAAAAASSSS PAN was my AB.SO.LUTE. favorite God. I was OB.SES.SED
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    By modern standards, Apollo makes Zeus look like a choir boy. Apollo might be the absolute worst god in the entire pantheon .
    ehhh idk Zeus constantly cheated on his wife....his sister... even with his their own sister Demeter. Constantly raped chicks as animals then stood by while Hera tormented them.. Totally swallowed his first wife while she was pregnant is Athens. .and stole poor Ganymede from his parents
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not really. Zeus is about the most generic (and worst) choice to choose from considering the literal pantheon available. He literally represents the worst aspects of men in his long history of raping, pettiness, murder, deceit, pride, etc.
    YES. This is everything I like about it. The genericness, the worst aspects, the distrust.

I get that you don't like it. I'm allowed to like it.

Zeus is the Patriarchy. Diana fights it.

YES. This is everything I like about it. The genericness, the worst aspects, the distrust.

I get that you don't like it. I'm allowed to like it.

Zeus is the Patriarchy. Diana fights it.
    Shouldn't Zeus have been the villain of the movie instead of Ares then?

In fact, I notice that the only times where Diana has had actual conflict with Zeus/the patriarchy is in continuities where she wasn't his daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Shouldn't Zeus have been the villain of the movie instead of Ares then?

In fact, I notice that the only times where Diana has had actual conflict with Zeus/the patriarchy is in continuities where she wasn't his daughter.
    Zeus doesn't make sense as a one-and-done movie villain. He's a CONCEPTUAL villain. Ares makes sense as his enforcer.

Zeus doesn't make sense as a one-and-done movie villain. He's a CONCEPTUAL villain. Ares makes sense as his enforcer.
    Well in that world unless it was a lie Zeus is dead. So he ain't gonna be much of anything.

Which he wasn't in the movie, on count of Zeus being dead. If anything, Diana was Zeus' enforcer.

Again, we've seen Zeus as a villain or antagonist in WW stories before (which he wasn't in the movie) and in those continuities she isn't his daughter. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-26-2019 at 12:22 AM.

I didn't say I liked the resolution of the film.

So far the only thing I said I liked was the notion of Zeus as her father. Not here to debate comics or comicbook movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    I wish there was a proper Titanomachy movie from the Creation up to the Fall of Cronus.
    I think a lot of people assume Titans are merely elemental giants, when the differences between them are nuanced. Oceanus as the eldest and inheritor of his father's crown, Iapetus as a strange amalgam of smith and death god, Rhea as a leonine goddess of blood and motherhood, Cronus as an agricultural-mama's-boy-turned-usurper.

Zeus as heroic conspirator with Metis and Hecate to build a team to take down Titanic rule would be very cool, but how do you see the story working?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 09-26-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    uhh OVIDS Metamorphosis would be an awesome and sexy ass movie... Maybe starring Johnathan Taylor Thomas??!

Uh Athena effed up poor Arachnids life for doing better needle work. and pretty sure Posideon I'd the Father of Pegasus...you know there was some beastiality there

YAAAAASSSS PAN was my AB.SO.LUTE. favorite God. I was OB.SES.SED
    ehhh idk Zeus constantly cheated on his wife....his sister... even with his their own sister Demeter. Constantly raped chicks as animals then stood by while Hera tormented them.. Totally swallowed his first wife while she was pregnant is Athens. .and stole poor Ganymede from his parents
    to Athena defense arachnes the pictures in the weaving were blashemous.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    to Athena defense arachnes the pictures in the weaving were blashemous.
    That's the version I remember too - Athena is giving Arachne every chance to back down but she instead chooses to use the weavings to troll Athena. Probably still doesn't justify being turned into a spider, but when you are faced with someone who is known for doing terrible things it isn't best to double down. Much like I can reduce my chances of needing reconstructive dentistry by not telling some MMA champ that I'm going to bang his girlfriend over his unconscious body or some other offensive idiocy that I can't back up.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I didn't say I liked the resolution of the film.

So far the only thing I said I liked was the notion of Zeus as her father. Not here to debate comics or comicbook movies.

I think a lot of people assume Titans are merely elemental giants, when the differences between them are nuanced. Oceanus as the eldest and inheritor of his father's crown, Iapetus as a strange amalgam of smith and death god, Rhea as a leonine goddess of blood and motherhood, Cronus as an agricultural-mama's-boy-turned-usurper.

Zeus as heroic conspirator with Metis and Hecate to build a team to take down Titanic rule would be very cool, but how do you see the story working?
    No idea how you structure that story without thinking more about it but the ending shot being Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades splitting the world up into 3 parts would be a nice ending. I still think Prometheus would be a great pov character. He would have a foot on both sides at one point and then his story could end with creating man from clay. Or they can keep going and he can steal the fire and have a unhappy ending.