Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greek Mythology

Default Greek Mythology

They are some of my favroite movies but surprised we dont have more films based on Greek myths. Though to be fair there is alot and I'm probaky just greedy.

Watching Ad Astra makes me ask wtf happened to the Jason and the Argonauts in space film that Brad Pitt was attached to a few years back.? Honestly though there was a game I played as a kid on my Xbox about Jason and the Argonauts but It was a version where Instead of Achillies Dad , Achillies joins the argonauts as well as Pan. But I can see that working Rise of the Argonauts and you have a bunch of famous Greek heroes in one movie. Most people dont even know Dinseys hercules isnt accurate so I doubt they would have issue with throwing the likes of Perseus , Odyessues, Leonidas or whoever in one movie. I dont remember the plot of the game so I wouldnt go based off that except the idea of adding people like Achilles and Pan to the movie to make it more fantastical.

Anyone got any twist on a Greek myth they think could make a good movie?

Not a twist of my own, but I think an adaptation of Roger Zelazny's This Immortal could work. I mean, this is the novel that tied (in its abridged form, entitled "...And Call Me Conrad") with Dune for the Hugo Award. It's not as epic as Dune, but it is a lot more fun, imo. It doesn't correspond directly to Greek myth - it's set in an apocalyptic future where the aftermath of nuclear war has turned mainland Greece (and everywhere but islands) into a radioactive wasteland populated by centaurs and fauns and the like.
    Last edited by Panic; 09-21-2019 at 03:28 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Was there supposed to be a Jason & the Argonauts in space? I thought it was supposed to be The Odyssey in Space. Pitt wanted George Miller to direct.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Was there supposed to be a Jason & the Argonauts in space? I thought it was supposed to be The Odyssey in Space. Pitt wanted George Miller to direct.
    You are right, after googling it I was conflating two stories. Brad Pitt's Odyssey In Space and a Jason and the argonauts film by Paramount. Neither if which seem to be happening now.

Watched the immortals again and God do I hate that movie. Makes me appreciate 300 so much more. Canvill was good in it thought but the artistic choices in that movie were weird af. I'd love a movie about the Gods vs the Titans but it would have to be epic into scale not golden clothes wearing British dudes fighting dudes covered in ash like Immortals. You could make Prometheus the POV character.

Retired

I'd like to see a treatment of Greek mythology that's faithful to the actual ancient stories. I don't think there's ever been a modern usage that sticks to what the actual stories tell. They are always taking short cuts, conflating things, making up stuff out of whole cloth and simply cheating the myth.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Theseus and the Minotaur is perfect for a virtual world.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

I don't know, I like a lot of old Greek myth based films, Lou however you spell Feringo as Hercules, the original Clash of the Titans, and so forth, but a lot of the new stuff strikes me as soulless and uninteresting CGI spectacles. Last Greek myth movie I thought was good was that Troy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know, I like a lot of old Greek myth based films, Lou however you spell Feringo as Hercules, the original Clash of the Titans, and so forth, but a lot of the new stuff strikes me as soulless and uninteresting CGI spectacles. Last Greek myth movie I thought was good was that Troy one.
    I didn't even like that one, although I think most portrayals were pretty close. Achilles was unlikable to the extreme, Paris was a shell of a person, Hector was a guy I'd want leading me into battle (Achilles seems like a guy who'd toss me to the wolves for his own glory, because in the Iliad he came across the same way), and the coolest guy on the Greek side was Odysseus, played by a non-dead Sean Bean. You can count the movies where he lives on one hand, or at least it seems like you can.

Which is one of the problems trying to be accurate in telling Greek myth - many of the protagonists are real scummers, and even worse than that depending on your source. Jason, Heracles, Achilles, pretty much the entire pantheon of deities are all objectively terrible people (or gods). If Apollo takes notice of you, for instance, just slit your own throat. It's the least painful way out.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I didn't even like that one, although I think most portrayals were pretty close. Achilles was unlikable to the extreme, Paris was a shell of a person, Hector was a guy I'd want leading me into battle (Achilles seems like a guy who'd toss me to the wolves for his own glory, because in the Iliad he came across the same way), and the coolest guy on the Greek side was Odysseus, played by a non-dead Sean Bean. You can count the movies where he lives on one hand, or at least it seems like you can.

Which is one of the problems trying to be accurate in telling Greek myth - many of the protagonists are real scummers, and even worse than that depending on your source. Jason, Heracles, Achilles, pretty much the entire pantheon of deities are all objectively terrible people (or gods). If Apollo takes notice of you, for instance, just slit your own throat. It's the least painful way out.
    They had a different idea about heroes back then clearly. Herakles would go on his labors and redeem himself but he would then randomly do some awful ****. But someone like Herakles or Perseus only requires a slight polishing of the story to make them heroic by today standards. But the gods are just the worst. Maybe if you take away what she did to Medusa Athena could pass and Hades seems pretty chill untill he met persephone.

If you make a Gods vs Titans movie that's why I think Prometheus could be a good PoV character. But depending on how you look at it even he can come across as an *******. Sometimes hes a hero who created man from clay and then defied Zeus and suffered the consequences to deliver us from ignorance by giving us fire. Other times he does this because of his own Hubris and dooms mankind to suffer the wrath of the gods for all time.

Anyway I think you need to smooth out the rough edges with Greek Myth but you dont need to **** on it like alot of movies do. Which isnt the right words because I dont have a problem with reimagining them. I enjoyed The rocks Hercules enough for what it was. I know in today's age people hate Snyder but i still love 300( Slow motion and all)

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    They had a different idea about heroes back then clearly. Herakles would go on his labors and redeem himself but he would then randomly do some awful ****. But someone like Herakles or Perseus only requires a slight polishing of the story to make them heroic by today standards. But the gods are just the worst. Maybe if you take away what she did to Medusa Athena could pass and Hades seems pretty chill untill he met persephone.

If you make a Gods vs Titans movie that's why I think Prometheus could be a good PoV character. But depending on how you look at it even he can come across as an *******. Sometimes hes a hero who created man from clay and then defied Zeus and suffered the consequences to deliver us from ignorance by giving us fire. Other times he does this because of his own Hubris and dooms mankind to suffer the wrath of the gods for all time.

Anyway I think you need to smooth out the rough edges with Greek Myth but you dont need to **** on it like alot of movies do. Which isnt the right words because I dont have a problem with reimagining them. I enjoyed The rocks Hercules enough for what it was. I know in today's age people hate Snyder but i still love 300( Slow motion and all)
    The version of the story where Athena punishes Medusa for being raped in her temple is from Ovid - a later Roman writer, and the Romans weren't always keen on certain Greek deities and heroes. They retconned Odysseus into a credit stealing martinet, for example. Before that Medusa and her sisters had been born as frightening monsters.

Although I do like the later add-ins for Hades and Persephone, where she is in on her own kidnapping, wanting to escape the smothering presence of her mom - the one who was willing to destroy all life in the world over her daughter being taken away, and still froze it for half of every year when she was gone out of grief. Even without that add-in, at least Hades stopped after forcing himself on one woman - for the Greek Gods, that practically qualifies as being the avatar of woke.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Seems like every time they do a movie based on mythology in recent years, they go waaaaaay overboard on the CGI bling and leave the story in the dust. The only ones I like are the ones done with practical effects, like in the Harryhausen days. Which is why the suggestion of George Miller as director is a good one... he proved with his Mad Max movies (especially Fury Road) how good a movie can look with minimal CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The version of the story where Athena punishes Medusa for being raped in her temple is from Ovid - a later Roman writer, and the Romans weren't always keen on certain Greek deities and heroes. They retconned Odysseus into a credit stealing martinet, for example. Before that Medusa and her sisters had been born as frightening monsters.

Although I do like the later add-ins for Hades and Persephone, where she is in on her own kidnapping, wanting to escape the smothering presence of her mom - the one who was willing to destroy all life in the world over her daughter being taken away, and still froze it for half of every year when she was gone out of grief. Even without that add-in, at least Hades stopped after forcing himself on one woman - for the Greek Gods, that practically qualifies as being the avatar of woke.
    Didnt know that, so there you go we got Athena, Hestia, and kinda Hades. Posideon avoids incent does that put him above Zeus in wokeness? Lol

I agree with the sentiments regarding the recent flicks being CGI fests with little soul. Yes, Immortals was a disappointment, as were the two Titans movies. I grew up on the original Clash. It would be nice to see Theseus get his story told. Maybe the 12 labors of Hercules. The Odyssey. Trouble is, these tales are hard to do in 2 hours. Maybe Netflix or Amazon Prime can get in on the action.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I agree with the sentiments regarding the recent flicks being CGI fests with little soul. Yes, Immortals was a disappointment, as were the two Titans movies. I grew up on the original Clash. It would be nice to see Theseus get his story told. Maybe the 12 labors of Hercules. The Odyssey. Trouble is, these tales are hard to do in 2 hours. Maybe Netflix or Amazon Prime can get in on the action.
    Neftlix is doing an animated series based around Greek mythology.

Oo sounds good. thanks didnt know this. Something else to look forward too.