Default Will a Doc Justice and the J-Team title replace Runaways?

The final issues of Runaways has the team becoming superheroes, and beforehand Marvel was hyping this up as the next big team in Marvel (comparing them to Avengers, Defenders and Thunderbolts). If this was just a self-contained arc in their series, I doubt much attention would've been brought to it. Runaways has always been a rather niche title of its own, separate from the Marvel Universe. Then, of course, they described this as the next big step for the Runaways, saying they've subverted superhero tropes for so long, that they're now double-subverting it.

The word is that Runaways looks to be cancelled on Issue 30. In this day and age, where many comics struggle to make it past 12 issues if even that, 30 is a pretty good run. It looks like the Runaways' journey is far from over, and I doubt they'd leaving us hanging after they just became legitimate superheroes. I wonder what their codenames will be, and I hope they don't just lazily recycle the ones they BKV came up with when they were halfheartedly trying to be superheroes. Victor and Gib need names anyways.

So, think we can reasonably expect the whole announcement at NYCC? I can imagine them saying "the journey of the Runaways comes to a close..." before showing a picture of the assembled team "... but the chapter of the J-Team begins!" and announce the new title in the place of the Runaways with Rainbow Rowell continuing to write.

It might seem weird, but remember, Marvel did a comic starring the Masters of Evil masquerading themselves as the heroic Thunderbolts, which must've been really odd at the time. It was also a classic.

I wanna know what you think of this, and the idea in general of the Runaways becoming legitimate superheroes. Discuss.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The surprise ending of Thunderbolts #1 was a genuine surprise/shock ending. It would be hard to replicate the impact in this internet age. No one expected that ending.

Visually, I like the look of the team on that cover. I'd like to see Rainbow Rowell carry on with this in a relaunch. She deserves a big hit.

Also, notice how Gert and Old Lace are conspicuously absent. I'm guessing she didn't want any part of the superhero stuff and left. She always was the Runaway who least liked superheroes, I believe.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I suppose they could still hang around as a resource of some kind. Maybe doing research, etc? Sort of like Barbara Gordon would do.

I don’t think Runaways is confirmed to be ending at #30, it’s just that it’s sales are borderline so it’s very possible it might happen.

Last I saw Rowell talking about it on her twitter, it was very much a sort of “please pre-order so we don’t get cancelled” situation.

That's the word, nothing confirmed yet, but the way they're hyping this new team speaks a lot. We'll wait to see at NYCC for definitive answers.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don’t think Runaways is confirmed to be ending at #30, it’s just that it’s sales are borderline so it’s very possible it might happen.

Last I saw Rowell talking about it on her twitter, it was very much a sort of “please pre-order so we don’t get cancelled” situation.
    Didn't she also say she's written issue 30 already and doesn't know if it'll continue past that point? If that situation lasts more than a couple of weeks, the book is probably done, sadly. Though 30 issues is a decent run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    The word is that Runaways looks to be cancelled on Issue 30. In this day and age, where many comics struggle to make it past 12 issues if even that, 30 is a pretty good run. It looks like the Runaways' journey is far from over, and I doubt they'd leaving us hanging after they just became legitimate superheroes. I wonder what their codenames will be, and I hope they don't just lazily recycle the ones they BKV came up with when they were halfheartedly trying to be superheroes. Victor and Gib need names anyways.
    With that KJ on his costume, Victor is obviously called Kid Justice.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Ironically, in their effort to keep this book from getting canceled, putting the kids in costumes is the quickest way to get me to drop it.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I seriously doubt it. It couldn't possibly sell worse month-to-month than the current title, but if Marvel was actually planning something as big as a relaunch they would have gone longer teasing the concept. It's only what it appears to be, another arc of the current book. Most likely the final one. If it relaunches it would likely still keep the Runaways name, probably with a new creative team.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I thought the big promo, "the greatest next big team of the moment!" etc. was meant to be ironic