Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    237

    Default Why hasn't the Joker been executed?

    This has been on my mind for a long time.

    Yeah, I get that you can't execute someone who's insane, but insane or not no society would ever tolerate this mad man. Once he has proven that he can't be cured or contained, the populace would demand his execution. I'm not saying Batman should do it, but is it believable that the citizens of whatever state Gotham City is in would allow this mass-murderer to continue his rampage? Has this issue ever been addressed?

    (I'd like to see a Nexus crossover in which Nexus arrives to execute the Joker.)

  2. #2

    Default

    Whatever state Gotham City is situated in doesn't have the death penalty.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Caivu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Whatever state Gotham City is situated in doesn't have the death penalty.
    Yep. It's in New Jersey, which abolished the death penalty in 2007 and hadn't executed anyone since 1963 anyway.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

    Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow



    Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

  4. #4
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Whatever state Gotham City is situated in doesn't have the death penalty.
    I hear that. But my point is that no sane society would tolerate Joker. If the laws did not permit him to be executed then they would change the laws. I disagree in principle with the death penalty but there are times when you act out of pragmatism because it would be insane to do otherwise.

  5. #5
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Because corporate storytelling never ends, and you don't kill your golden goose if you want to keep getting that sweet, sweet moolah.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Because corporate storytelling never ends, and you don't kill your golden goose if you want to keep getting that sweet, sweet moolah.
    You ruined this whole debate! You gave the REAL answer!

    I guess what I'm looking for is the in-universe justification for not killing the Joker. Or, is this one of those problems they don't ever directly address because it would destroy the fiction - much like why some characters seem to age and some don't?

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    You ruined this whole debate! You gave the REAL answer!

    I guess what I'm looking for is the in-universe justification for not killing the Joker. Or, is this one of those problems they don't ever directly address because it would destroy the fiction - much like why some characters seem to age and some don't?
    My understanding, at least for some stories, is because Gordon does not like killing or want to kill anyone, and signing off on their execution would essentially make him responsible, no matter if its someone as reprehensible as the Joker.

    I do know now that Snyder has retconned the reason to being that Joker poisoned his heart so whoever kills him will be effected and turn into a new Joker (as seen in The Batman Who Laughs), so I guess now that's their reasoning for avoiding doing it.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  8. #8
    Concerned Citizen Citizen Kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Amongst the people
    Posts
    481

    Default

    DC isn't going to kill off the Joker in the main universe; it's as simple as that. However, in the real world, I'm pretty sure someone would kill him sooner or later.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 09-21-2019 at 02:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I do know now that Snyder has retconned the reason to being that Joker poisoned his heart so whoever kills him will be effected and turn into a new Joker (as seen in The Batman Who Laughs), so I guess now that's their reasoning for avoiding doing it.
    I don't know if that's canon for main Joker but it seems so over the top that I can believe Snyder came up with it .

  10. #10
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Arkham, Mass (lol no)
    Posts
    7,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    my point is that no sane society would tolerate Joker. . . If the laws did not permit him to be executed then they would change the laws.
    Firstly, it's unconstitutional to make laws targeted at one individual or that seem to be. Secondly, people in society have tried to kill Joker. In Shadow of the Bat 37, a father tried to kill Joker for killing his family. He failed.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-21-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Thank you AMericA for votinG for chAnge.

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    306

    Default

    There are actually many stories that indicate Gotham does have the death penalty.

    Read Joker: Devil's Advocate to see what happens when the Joker gets sentenced to death row.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Caivu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    7,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    There are actually many stories that indicate Gotham does have the death penalty.

    Read Joker: Devil's Advocate to see what happens when the Joker gets sentenced to death row.
    That was '96. Still works out for Gotham not having it now.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

    Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow



    Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,871

    Default

    because people like stories featuring him and even if a writer decided to do that, eventually he would come back somehow.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    DC isn't going to kill off the Joker in the main universe; it's as simple as that. However, in the real world, I'm pretty sure someone would kill him sooner or later.
    That's one the issues I have with what the Joker has become. It made a lot more sense for him to stay alive when he just killed 2 or 3 people each time he showed up instead of huge acts of mass murder. More importantly, I enjoyed those stories more, too. Him being made an ambassador was just flat stupid even at the time, though.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-21-2019 at 04:03 PM.

  15. #15
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That's one the issues I have with what the Joker has become. It made a lot more sense for him to say alive when he just killed 2 or 3 people each time he showed up instead of huge acts of mass murder. More importantly, I enjoyed those stories more, too. Him being made an ambassador was just flat stupid even at the time, though.
    Yeah, I think of The Joker as a homicidal maniac but that aspect of him feels so one-note now with how exaggerated it's become.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •