Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think there are two reasons why he hasn't been executed. The first is what others have already mentioned: The lack of a death penalty in the state Gotham is situated in. The other is the more obvious: mental insanity plea. It's why he is often shunted off to Arkham instead of a penitentiary such as Blackgate. Because it is a recognized institution for the criminally insane.

The logical choice would be to just flat out sentence him to death. I imagine Gotham's population would have no problem calling for it and it would save taxpayers from shelling out for trials every time the dude goes on a rampage.

Amazing Member

I understand why you single out the Joker. He's the worst.

Come to think of it, though, why aren't any supervillains executed in the DCU?

That would be a great storyline. A super villain is about to be executed and his rival hero comes to have a conversation with him before the whole thing goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if that's canon for main Joker but it seems so over the top that I can believe Snyder came up with it .
    I thought it was, because in the Batman Who Laughs mini, Joker shoots himself in front of Batman, which leads him to get infected so that he can fight the BWL.

Fantastic Member

Bruce could always ask Clark to phantom zone him (the Joker).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post

That would be a great storyline. A super villain is about to be executed and his rival hero comes to have a conversation with him before the whole thing goes down.
    Agreed. I also wouldn't mind a storyline where due process is explored more. Batman can kind of get away with it as Bruce is thorough enough to supply Gordon with any incriminating evidence along with any criminal he hauls in (Although some suspension of disbelief is required because most would walk in the real world due to evidence being seized without things such as search warrants etc.) Same deal with Barry.

But what about the other heroes and heroines? One could say Superman is trusted enough to the point that, if he rocks up to M.S.C.U. with a villain, it generally means they've broken the law somewhere. Also helps that he is willing to appear and give Testimony. As well as taking the stand to be cross-examined. But what about the rest?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post

Geoff John's wrote one about Hal visiting Sinestro after he was sentenced to death by the Guardians.
    As for the question of why no one has executed or killed him then in an alternate world shown in countdown a Batman had killed him but he comes back each time.

Astonishing Member

Much like in the real world, you'd have human rights activists defending the Joker as a mentally disturbed individual who deserves a chance to be rehabilitated. And this is an individual who is frequently beaten up by a band of violent vigilantes who have little regard for due process, with the tacit approval of the GCPD. So it'd be pretty easy for any decent civil rights lawyer or activist to make a case for the Joker deserving mercy...along with certain sections of the media. White Knight explored this brilliantly in its early issues.

I think early on in the New 52 'Tec run, there was this scene where there were a bunch of protestors supporting the Joker.

So honestly, the idea of the Joker NOT being executed, no matter what he does, isn't quite as unrealistic as it might seem.

Censorship Sucks

I would have to say it is because liberals run Gotham. They are trying to rehabilitate him instead of "removing the threat". This can be demonstrated by how they place him in Arkham to "help him" instead of Blackgate where he would just be held until execution!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I would have to say it is because liberals run Gotham. They are trying to rehabilitate him instead of "removing the threat". This can be demonstrated by how they place him in Arkham to "help him" instead of Blackgate where he would just be held until execution!
    I consider myself a liberal and I would vote to execute the Joker. You try to act out of principle but sometimes you act out of pragmatism when the results of doing otherwise would be so catastrophically bad.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I would have to assume that he is criminally insane and comicbook logic

I don't know if the, "insane" thing really holds up. If it really came to it, would Joker really not understand what was happening and why it was happening? Seems like he understands his actions and their consequences perfectly fine to me. Just being sick, crazy, mentally ill, etc. isn't enough to get you off the hook.

But the real, if boring, answer is that Joker is popular and makes money.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    But the real, if boring, answer is that Joker is popular and makes money.
    The problem with looking for an in-universe reason for a real world issue is that it leads to people saying that the people in universe are idiots, when they're fictional characters with no agency of their own, completely at the whim of the writers. Joker is popular and makes money. That's the reason he isn't executed. That isn't the fault of the other fictional characters in DC Gotham. You can't come up with an in universe reason for the protection a popular, money-making character has. You'd have to have characters break the fourth wall.

The reason why Joker hasn't been executed is also the reason why Bruce Wayne will never hang up the cowl even though he's 80 years old, and will continue to be Batman long after we're all dead and gone.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    The problem with looking for an in-universe reason for a real world issue is that it leads to people saying that the people in universe are idiots, when they're fictional characters with no agency of their own, completely at the whim of the writers. Joker is popular and makes money. That's the reason he isn't executed. That isn't the fault of the other fictional characters in DC Gotham. You can't come up with an in universe reason for the protection a popular, money-making character has. You'd have to have characters break the fourth wall.

The reason why Joker hasn't been executed is also the reason why Bruce Wayne will never hang up the cowl even though he's 80 years old, and will continue to be Batman long after we're all dead and gone.
    The reason people keep looking for in-universe reasons for the Joker being alive is because writers keep drawing attention to his very large body count that would make real life war criminals sick.

Incredible Member

If Joker dies they'll just bring him back like two years later in a massive 9 month event all about him that involves his busting the kneecaps of the JL and the like with every title tying into it for 4 months.

BANNED

Ohh these threads, pops up all the time, dude, you are not the first one who thinks of this. If i opened a thread that everytime i realised that Batman doesn't make sense, i would probably open a thousend threads or something. It's called growing up, you are smarter now, but not enough to see the big picture and that's Joker is not real. lol And If you can believe an insane clown can run away from a maximum security mad house as he feels like it, you can believe that they don't execute him 'cause he's insane.