Niffleheim

Default What are your Best Marvel Hero/Villain Revenge stories?

Was there ever a best of list of Marvel Comics revenge stories? Anyway, I'm in the mood to rereading about Edmond Dantès but before that I wouldn't mind being recommended some revenge centric Marvel comic stories (street-level or cosmic). I'm betting the villain stories would be more satisfying to read than the heroes lol! Thanks in advance.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

The earliest Power Man stories were based on the Count of Monte Cristo, namely his origin. (His original costume is supposed to evoke the idea of an escape artist btw)

Luke was a much more interesting character back then, and his temper led to some great "revenge" stories:

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The earliest Power Man stories were based on the Count of Monte Cristo, namely his origin. (His original costume is supposed to evoke the idea of an escape artist btw)

Luke was a much more interesting character back then, and his temper led to some great "revenge" stories:

this aspect of his personality needs to be played up now.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Principle of the matter. Even if it was someone like Doom, if word got out that Luke Cage let someone stiff him on what he was duly owed . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Hope this counts, but how about Daredevil getting revenge on Bullseye for taking out Elektra (Daredevil #181)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 03-02-2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Hope this counts, but how about Daredevil getting revenge on Bullseye for taking out Elektra (Daredevil #181)
    Yeah. that was a good one. I'm also a bit partial to DD's rather grisly takedown of Bullseye during his own psychological breakdown in the Brian Bendis run from the 2000s, where he carved Bullseye's namesake into his forehead after beating him down.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Villain-centric revenge story? The first one that comes to mind is during Brubaker's Daredevil run, "Hell to Pay" and "Without Fear." Mr. Fear seeks revenge on Matt Murdock.

Screenshot_20220302-220907_Kindle_kindlephoto-133523340.jpg
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Niffleheim

Interesting, I didn’t know that. I can honestly say I’m not a big fan of the character but I will certainly check it out.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Villain-centric revenge story? The first one that comes to mind is during Brubaker's Daredevil run, "Hell to Pay" and "Without Fear." Mr. Fear seeks revenge on Matt Murdock.

Daredevil has the best and most villain revenge stories in the entire Marvel Comic catalog. The villains seem to be driving most of the stories IMO. I haven’t read Brubaker's entire DD run but I’ll check this out

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I doubt that. Most accounts say that Luke Cage was created at the height of the black action movie phase of the 1970s by Roy Thomas and the late Archie Goodwin and was modeled after stars like Fred Williamson. I've seen no reference to him being linked to the Count of Monte Cristo except in a review of the Luke Cage series on Netflix. I haven't come across any quote from a Marvel creator that links him to the Count of Monte Cristo. But if you have a source I'd like to see that. It would be interesting.

BTW, Dwayne McDuffie wrote a follow up to the old chestnut about Doom stiffing Luke Cage for his fee in his Damage Control series. He commented here on CBR that he never liked that story so he decided to address that by having a dishonest staff member being the cause...

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-03-2022 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

I hated this story arc when I first read it. Felt like Brubaker trying to do his own version of 'Born Again' but to diminishing returns.

My favorite Marvel Hero-Villain Revenge story is still Born Again.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Magik gets revenge on the Elder Gods in Rise of the New Mutants. A story nearly 30 years in the making, finally giving closure to the character while ending a consistent universal-level threat.

Overall I don't like this story but I got a soft spot for Doom roasting Marquis of Death to... well, death.

RCO023_1468806631.jpg
    RCO024_1468806631.jpg
    RCO025_1468806631.jpg

Definitely, The Punisher! I mean, his entire oeuvre could fill this thread in no time (IMHO):