Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    While being a Avenger might be a problem for Spider-Man, it would not be a problem for Peter Parker because,

1. He's a scientist who can contribute to the team
    2. He can act as a supporting character who deals with the research side of things
    3. He doesn't have to be a superhero as an Avenger

Never understand why Marvel doesn't have Peter Parker using his intellect as a member of the Avengers in a civilian role.
    Because the Avengers typically have Iron Man as a permanent member and other geniuses like Hank Pym, Beast, T'Challa and others rotating in and out of the roster. Peter's role as a "smart guy" would be fairly redundant.

Also, people who read the Avengers aren't reading for civilian interaction; they're reading for superheroes. If Spider-Man isn't going to be a part of the team, no one's going to care if Peter Parker is. They want Spider-Man to be a front line role.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I think it happened in a what if as well when he was killed others went on the hunt.
    Yes, in the What If Kraven Had Killed Spider-Man in His Last Hunt. Cap, Daredevil, and Johnny went looking after MJ approached them because Peter was missing.

There have been many gaps where Iron Man, BP and Pym are not there.

Plus there is a plus side of having more science guys on the team at the same time. As Spidey proved on the FF when he thought of thing Reed and Doom did not . When fighting the Collective (?) he thought of the best way to use the amour.

While he will never be viewed in the elite level he has been outthinking science based villains since he was 15. Contrary to how they are used no scientist knows all fields at the highest level so he can fill in the gap.

Lastly when they are in a fight with whoever and go into split squads having a scientist on both squads is not the worse thing.

Astonishing Member

I certainly miss seeing Spider-Man as a regular member on the Avengers..

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I certainly miss seeing Spider-Man as a regular member on the Avengers..
    Would be cool, especially given that Mephisto is being set up as the ultimate enemy for both the Avengers and Spider-Man, so they might as well team up to defeat him for good.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

“The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    It's all about making money, whether the character is loved or not. A good writer can make Spider-Man a great team player to The Avengers. It's all about the marketing exposure..

Astonishing Member

Spiderman breaking the rules and get in trouble with Avengers sounds like a good story to me.
    Sounds good, but can they do that consistently and have it feel fresh? Fans already feel like Bond going rogue in every film is becoming repetitive.

Isn't Spiderman a part of the superhero community wouldn't the same thing happen if they kill Spiderman? The Avengers would come after them if they killed Spiderman anyways
    If he was as close to them as Hawkeye is, it would be less believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why would Spiderman at this point still have that agonistic relationship with authorities Spiderman has visibly save the city over and over. Even without being an Avenger why wouldn't the authorities do this any way for Spiderman. They would turn a blind eye for Spiderman anyways. The cops still disliking Spiderman in any form is a bad trope. Spiderman was running around saving the city from Trolls,Spiders People, Symbiotes, and Fighting Hydra.This best way to understand what Spiderman is, He is a first responder in Fantasy New York that has bunch of 9/11s

A lot of your logic here doesn't apply to Spiderman who has been a clearly hero in Marvel for years. And your statement about people not being happy only applies to people who want Superhero to perpetual be stuck in certain state. Spiderman would absolute work as an Avenger but yes it does mean some slight changes in the status quo and tropes. The only question is if you are person who doesn't think that status quo should not have already been adjusted "the Spiderman is a menace" "The Parker Luck thing" are phases he should grow out as character. You can't read the collective of Marvel books and believe the Authorities would be antagonistic to Spiderman, You can't read collective of Marvel books and believe that Spiderman is still the down out everyman. Spiderman doesn't work as Avenger only if you believe Spiderman evolving into something slight different will not work long term.
    I have no problem with the general public being okay with Spider-Man after all these years, but I don't think the cops and the media should ever be fully okay with him. Many writers have implied that the police and the media hate Spider-Man for all the wrong reasons. To remove their dislike of Spider-Man, you would have to remove mention of that too.

Spider-Man comics are usually better with social commentary on the police and the media than your average superhero comic is. In an era where we need critique of those institutions, are we willing to throw that away from Spider-Man's book just so he can be an Avenger?

If anything, that would prove even further that Spider-Man being an Avenger is detrimental to him and his stories.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-07-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Sounds good, but can they do that consistently and have it feel fresh? Fans already feel like Bond going rogue in every film is becoming repetitive.

If he was as close to them as Hawkeye is, it would be less believable.

I have no problem with the general public being okay with Spider-Man after all these years, but I don't think the cops and the media should ever be fully okay with him. Many writers have implied that the police and the media hate Spider-Man for all the wrong reasons. To remove their dislike of Spider-Man, you would have to remove mention of that too.

Spider-Man comics are usually better with social commentary on the police and the media than your average superhero comic is. In an era where we need critique of those institutions, are we willing to throw that away from Spider-Man's book just so he can be an Avenger?

If anything, that would prove even further that Spider-Man being an Avenger is detrimental to him and his stories.
    Fair point there, and a civilian mother whose son's life was turned around by an encounter with Spider-Man (technically Miles, not Peter, but still) critiqued the Avengers themselves for being a little too far removed from the struggles and realities of the average person on the street to be fully counted on as protectors and champions of those same ordinary people. Hell, Daredevil brought up a similar point with Iron Man in an earlier issue of the current Chip Zdarsky run before he went to prison, that "street-level" to him really just meant "people-level," indicating an argument reminiscent of that aforementioned civilian mother, that the Avengers (sometimes) tended to lose focus on the ordinary people they were supposed to be fighting for in the midst of their big, epic battles with the forces of evil. That could work as justification for Spider-Man being at best loosely affiliated with the Avengers, that he wants to remain closer to the people he protects and not lose sight of them the way some people would argue the Avengers have at times.

Spider-Man was part of the Avengers for over a decade
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    A fair point as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Who is currently not on any Avengers team... Would had loved to had seen Jason Arron use Spidey as part of his Avengers line up...

Ultimate Member

Who is currently not on any Avengers team... Would had loved to had seen Jason Arron use Spidey as part of his Avengers line up...
    Tons of long-term Avengers like Beast, Wonder Man, Vision, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Hank Pym (actual founding Avengers in the last two cases!), etc. aren't currently on any Avengers teams.

Spidey's got plenty of exposure as it is. He doesn't *need* the Avengers. Not even 'the big three' (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America) can match his number of books or success as a character. He's arguably 'bigger' than they are.

Incredible Member

Yeah, sorry, but I really hope Spider-Man never joins the Avengers again. He and Wolverine joining was just a money grab to begin with. The two of them are already overexposed and appear multiple times every month. The thing I always loved about the character when I was younger was that he was down to earth and identifiable, and a loner. Hard to be concerned with everyday problems or getting help in some crisis with Aunt May when you're on a team with Gods and billionaires. I much prefer Avengers B list characters rounding out the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Tons of long-term Avengers like Beast, Wonder Man, Vision, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Hank Pym (actual founding Avengers in the last two cases!), etc. aren't currently on any Avengers teams.

Spidey's got plenty of exposure as it is. He doesn't *need* the Avengers. Not even 'the big three' (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America) can match his number of books or success as a character. He's arguably 'bigger' than they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah, sorry, but I really hope Spider-Man never joins the Avengers again. He and Wolverine joining was just a money grab to begin with. The two of them are already overexposed and appear multiple times every month. The thing I always loved about the character when I was younger was that he was down to earth and identifiable, and a loner. Hard to be concerned with everyday problems or getting help in some crisis with Aunt May when you're on a team with Gods and billionaires. I much prefer Avengers B list characters rounding out the team.
    Fair points there.