Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah, sorry, but I really hope Spider-Man never joins the Avengers again. He and Wolverine joining was just a money grab to begin with. The two of them are already overexposed and appear multiple times every month. The thing I always loved about the character when I was younger was that he was down to earth and identifiable, and a loner. Hard to be concerned with everyday problems or getting help in some crisis with Aunt May when you're on a team with Gods and billionaires. I much prefer Avengers B list characters rounding out the team.
    Peter Parker(the scientist) could be a supporting character to the team in a non super hero role. And he would get paid for his services in a non Spider-Man role. I long to see Peter Parker and Jennifer Walters working together alongside Carol Danvers....

What is not overexposed about Peter Parker is his role as a scientist and inventor who can be an asset to the Avengers. This is the side of Peter Parker that readers rarely see outside of The Spider-Office.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 12-10-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Spiderman is a major crossover character but he imo is at his best as a solo hero.........heck he alone is a Major Franchise to himself he doesn't really need other Franchises to sell himself.....the Avengers and to a lesser extent the FF4 benefit from his presence when written well but more as a part timer then a fulltime member imo.....the X side of things I don't really think need or would benefit as much.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    Spiderman is a major crossover character but he imo is at his best as a solo hero.........heck he alone is a Major Franchise to himself he doesn't really need other Franchises to sell himself.....the Avengers and to a lesser extent the FF4 benefit from his presence when written well but more as a part timer then a fulltime member imo.....the X side of things I don't really think need or would benefit as much.
    No, but they do somewhat dovetail given that they both have a history of being feared, distrusted, and even hated by the general public despite their heroism, even if Spider-Man's rep with the public has drastically improved over the years in comparison to the X-Men. Of course, the major difference is that Spider-Man is feared, distrusted, and hated as an individual, whereas the X-Men are feared, distrusted, and hated as representatives/emissaries of a race that's collectively feared, distrusted, and hated by human society at large.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by cam18 View Post
    the Avengers and to a lesser extent the FF4 benefit from his presence when written well but more as a part timer then a fulltime member imo.....
    This.

It's fun to go back and re-read Spidey-FF team stories (like what I just did minutes ago) to remind myself that Spidey and the FF will always be there for each other, even when they go their own separate ways. That makes the team-ups all the more special, because they're not a monthly thing so it's a pleasant surprise when they do happen.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Peter Parker(the scientist) could be a supporting character to the team in a non super hero role. And he would get paid for his services in a non Spider-Man role. I long to see Peter Parker and Jennifer Walters working together alongside Carol Danvers....

What is not overexposed about Peter Parker is his role as a scientist and inventor who can be an asset to the Avengers. This is the side of Peter Parker that readers rarely see outside of The Spider-Office.
    Spidey being in a team just to be a scientist when Avengers tend to have far smarter characters like Stark would be weird, not to mention a waste of Spider-Man since his scientist side is barely used anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    No, but they do somewhat dovetail given that they both have a history of being feared, distrusted, and even hated by the general public despite their heroism, even if Spider-Man's rep with the public has drastically improved over the years in comparison to the X-Men. Of course, the major difference is that Spider-Man is feared, distrusted, and hated as an individual, whereas the X-Men are feared, distrusted, and hated as representatives/emissaries of a race that's collectively feared, distrusted, and hated by human society at large.
    It's actually hilarious that Spidey in theory would get along better with X-Men, with Avengers coming in second and F4 dead last, but in practice it's F4 first, Avengers second, and X-Men dead last lol.

Honestly, if it weren't for his friendship with Wolverine, there would be probably nothing besides him teaming up with Iceman 'cause of an Amazing Friends reference, Spidey and X-Men even saying "hi" to each other is rare, which's part of the reason why I find the X-Men/Spider-man mini to be a bit silly, 'cause unlike the Spider-Man/F4 mini, every issue had to create new scenes for Spidey to talk with the X-Men, while the F4 one used existing interactions and expanded on them (It still created new interactions, but it didn't happen in all issues, X-Men/Spidey had to make new interactions in all issues while Spidey/F4 created two, but expanded on two).

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Spidey being in a team just to be a scientist when Avengers tend to have far smarter characters like Stark would be weird, not to mention a waste of Spider-Man since his scientist side is barely used anyways.

It's actually hilarious that Spidey in theory would get along better with X-Men, with Avengers coming in second and F4 dead last, but in practice it's F4 first, Avengers second, and X-Men dead last lol.

Honestly, if it weren't for his friendship with Wolverine, there would be probably nothing besides him teaming up with Iceman 'cause of an Amazing Friends reference, Spidey and X-Men even saying "hi" to each other is rare, which's part of the reason why I find the X-Men/Spider-man mini to be a bit silly, 'cause unlike the Spider-Man/F4 mini, every issue had to create new scenes for Spidey to talk with the X-Men, while the F4 one used existing interactions and expanded on them (It still created new interactions, but it didn't happen in all issues, X-Men/Spidey had to make new interactions in all issues while Spidey/F4 created two, but expanded on two).
    Funny enough, there were at least a few X-Men/Spider-Man team-ups in the 90s, but most of those were with Peter Parker and the 90s issue of the X-Men/Spider-Man mini by Christos Gage used Ben Reilly, which might or might not have led to Mister Sinister creating his little platoon of Ben Reilly clones dressed up as the Scarlet Spider in Wolverines #5-6.

Funny enough, there were at least a few X-Men/Spider-Man team-ups in the 90s, but most of those were with Peter Parker and the 90s issue of the X-Men/Spider-Man mini by Christos Gage used Ben Reilly, which might or might not have led to Mister Sinister creating his little platoon of Ben Reilly clones dressed up as the Scarlet Spider in Wolverines #5-6.
    I don't think it did, Spidey specifically points out that Sinister didn't care about getting his blood samples in issue#4, and he says it didn't happen last time too (Back in issue#1), and issue#3 has no scenes about Sinister trying to get Ben's blood sample, and he even calls Ben a "mockery of life".

Basically, Sinister didn't give a shit about Spidey, and in issue#4, Cyke says he should be thankful for it lol.

I don't think it did, Spidey specifically points out that Sinister didn't care about getting his blood samples in issue#4, and he says it didn't happen last time too (Back in issue#1), and issue#3 has no scenes about Sinister trying to get Ben's blood sample, and he even calls Ben a "mockery of life".

Basically, Sinister didn't give a shit about Spidey, and in issue#4, Cyke says he should be thankful for it lol.
    Sinister's one to talk on that front, given all the "mockeries of life" he himself has created --- and may well be himself.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yeah, sorry, but I really hope Spider-Man never joins the Avengers again. He and Wolverine joining was just a money grab to begin with. The two of them are already overexposed and appear multiple times every month. The thing I always loved about the character when I was younger was that he was down to earth and identifiable, and a loner. Hard to be concerned with everyday problems or getting help in some crisis with Aunt May when you're on a team with Gods and billionaires. I much prefer Avengers B list characters rounding out the team.
    ITA.....The Avengers imo tend to work best with Characters like the Cap,Ironman and Thor to go along with smaller names like Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch,Wasp, Black Knight,Hercules, Monica Rambeau etc it gives lesser known characters a chance to shine at the forefront next to bigger names....Spiderman being the Biggest Marvel character is a Franchise I would say at the very least is equal to the Avengers but imo is better when you think of the all supporting characters that come with him, Various Spider Characters, Symboites, A List Villans and other supporting characters like Black Cat, Silver Sable etc......Wolverine joining the Avengers I never liked...not only already overexposed but when I think about the qualities I loved in Claremont Wolverine almost felt like a different character that joined them in 2005.

Sinister's one to talk on that front, given all the "mockeries of life" he himself has created --- and may well be himself.
    Maybe Sinister said that 'cause it was a clone made by someone who isn't him lol.

and he even calls Ben a "mockery of life".
    That sounds wildly out of character for Essex. He loves creating clones and has zero moral objections to even the most blatantly unethical experiments. It's the core of his character. Having him call a clone a "mockery of life" is like having Doom act with utter humility and lack of ambition.

Maybe Sinister said that 'cause it was a clone made by someone who isn't him lol.
    Could be, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That sounds wildly out of character for Essex. He loves creating clones and has zero moral objections to even the most blatantly unethical experiments. It's the core of his character. Having him call a clone a "mockery of life" is like having Doom act with utter humility and lack of ambition.
    Ha, good one.

Ultimate Member

Spider-man is a loner as a character but as a hero, he's always been very involved in the greater Marvel universe.

The Marvel team-up book featured Spider-man as the main character and it ran for well over a decade between the 1970s and 1980s. That book was a lot of fun but never sold all that well and was replaced by Web of Spider-man.

And then in the 2000s as others have pointed out, he was an Avenger from Bendis right into the Hickman era of the book. It was always fun seeing Spider-man bounce off other characters but unfortunately, a lot of people only see Spider-man as a loner character that doesn't work with others, that was definitely not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That was after Ben made Sinister read his mind to distract him, could be a spur of the moment insult since Sinister was distracted lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Spider-man is a loner as a character but as a hero, he's always been very involved in the greater Marvel universe.

The Marvel team-up book featured Spider-man as the main character and it ran for well over a decade between the 1970s and 1980s. That book was a lot of fun but never sold all that well and was replaced by Web of Spider-man.

And then in the 2000s as others have pointed out, he was an Avenger from Bendis right into the Hickman era of the book. It was always fun seeing Spider-man bounce off other characters but unfortunately, a lot of people only see Spider-man as a loner character that doesn't work with others, that was definitely not always the case.
    Yeah he usually prefers to work alone, but is hardly opposed to getting help, seems his mentality is "Try to solve a problem right now, if it's too much, ask for help", and that's pretty consistent, don't even need to use MTU as an example too, ASM has moments like this where he doesn't know how to solve a problem, then asks someone else for help.

I think at most you can say he doesn't really care about being in teams, but even then, he has seriously considered to join other teams, he usually refused to join Avengers 'cause they don't deal with street level stuff, which, while it's an excuse to keep him away from the Avengers, it makes sense with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

That was after Ben made Sinister read his mind to distract him, could be a spur of the moment insult since Sinister was distracted
    Or perhaps was a subtle "fuckyou" to the esteemed colleague and another High Evolutionary assistant Jackal... (good chance are they know eachnother and loathe each other knowing them)

This give chance to pinpoint how oddly similar the lives of Scott Summers and Peter Parker are:
    Both are tormented by two genial geneticist who both were assistants to HE.
    Both are orphans with one hell of survivor guilt that shaped them who they are
    Both are slim build(when artist remember that neither Peter nor Scott are build like brick house)
    Both almost always hold back their powers to not hurt people (but this is true for all heroes)
    Both are the Kings of overdrammatic reactions...
    ..justified by the fact that seem that universe HATE the very idea of them being happy.
    Both loves of their lives were a redhead and a blonde...
    ...one of those died multiple times in their arms...
    Writers hate their marriage, fans didn't minded...
    They both have depicted by media as menace comparable to Hitler or Al Capone or the Son of Sam....for no reason at all.
    The Both have been hunted for sport by a creepy maniac
    Both have the most clumsy robots built specifically to destroy them( anothe recommend occurrence for superhero now that I think about it...I think only power pack has not a murderbot designed just to kill them)
    Both have crushed on in and bordering the savage land so many times that they could just buy some real estate there and build a vacation house..
    And finally....
    Both have a begrudging friendship with the bubs-man himself Logan!( who flirted with one of the love of their life, curshed on their couch and eat their cakes while refusing to not to smoke cigars...)

Two coincidences would haveben odd but so many!