Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 246
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,193

    Default

    Spider-Man has an actually interesting supporting cast/rogues gallery and has several aspects of his own universe that work wonderfully and work better when it's standalone.

    The reason he's "excluded" is he doesn't need the Avengers/FF/X-Men and everyone in Marvel knows this.

    I understand for new readers that Shared Universe Recognition and Synergy is some kind of bizarre status symbol but for most of Marvel's publication history the shared universe was just a means of getting the most out of every character Marvel had rights and license to. The Avengers from the 60s to the early 2000s was a dumping ground for rejects/D-listers and others who couldn't carry their own title.

    The reason Spider-Man's world rarely crossed over with other characters is that he existed independently of them.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spider-Man has an actually interesting supporting cast/rogues gallery and has several aspects of his own universe that work wonderfully and work better when it's standalone.

    The reason he's "excluded" is he doesn't need the Avengers/FF/X-Men and everyone in Marvel knows this.

    I understand for new readers that Shared Universe Recognition and Synergy is some kind of bizarre status symbol but for most of Marvel's publication history the shared universe was just a means of getting the most out of every character Marvel had rights and license to. The Avengers from the 60s to the early 2000s was a dumping ground for rejects/D-listers and others who couldn't carry their own title.

    The reason Spider-Man's world rarely crossed over with other characters is that he existed independently of them.
    I feel that most of Spider-Man's underused supporting cast and rogues gallery can find a new lease on life elsewhere in the Marvel universe and vice versa. A good example would be The Black Cat in the world of Hawkeye, Gambit and Daredevil. It would cool to see The Morlocks and The Hellfire Club in the world of Spider-Man as they are located in the same area. The Kingpin is more of a Daredevil villain than he ever was as a Spider-Man antagonist.

    Another example of a D-List character who would be perfect reoccurring guest star as part of Spider-Man's world is Tigra as a his ally who works as a Police Officer. Nightcrawler, Psylocke, The Beast, and Mystique might be better served in the world of Spider-Man. The same goes for Jessica Drew, Brian Braddock, and The Black Widow as frequent guest. Sometimes its good to mix things up because it unlocks stories that has yet to be told.

    I feel that Norman Osborn, Tombstone, and Mister Negative could potentially be a great antagonist for The X-Men respectively....
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    7,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I feel that most of Spider-Man's underused supporting cast and rogues gallery can find a new lease on life elsewhere in the Marvel universe and vice versa.
    That's actually happened plenty of times.
    -- John Jameson, son of Jonah, was pilot for Captain America and showed up regularly in Captain America comics.
    -- Jonah himself appeared numerous times in the pages of Daredevil, most prominently in Miller's run. He also gets a swell speech in Born Again.
    -- Mary Jane Watson was Carol Danvers' first supporting character and more recently appeared in Iron Man.
    -- Liz Allan during the period she was a widow to Harry i.e. Pre-OMD dated Foggy Nelson in Daredevil titles.
    -- More recently, Noah Winters, the new character in BND appeared as a supporting character in Rucka's run on The Punisher.

    A good example would be The Black Cat in the world of Hawkeye, Gambit and Daredevil.
    Gambit is married to Rogue right now, so I doubt Felicia would play well with him. Hawkeye and Daredevil I guess, though given the number of bad and awful things that have happened to women in Murdock's life, I'd rather she stay away from Matt. So Barton it is. Alternatively, she could be an interesting mentor to Kate Bishop.

    It would cool to see The Morlocks and The Hellfire Club in the world of Spider-Man as they are located in the same area.
    Well Spider-Man did famously fight Juggernaut so why not?

    The Kingpin is more of a Daredevil villain than he ever was as a Spider-Man antagonist.
    Agreed. But one example doesn't mean every instance would be justified.

    I feel that Norman Osborn, Tombstone, and Mister Negative could potentially be a great antagonist for The X-Men respectively....
    Norman Osborn was an antagonist to the X-Men among others during Dark Reign.

  4. #19
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    25,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's actually happened plenty of times.
    -- John Jameson, son of Jonah, was pilot for Captain America and showed up regularly in Captain America comics.
    He's also Man-Wolf, and currently an Agent of Wakanda.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,256

    Default

    John was also married to She-Hulk.

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    761

    Default

    He also met wolverine in the 'cap wolf' arc IIRC.

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    It would be cool to see the Fenris Twins working alongside Norman Osborn and The Kingpin. The twins might find a whole new lease to their character depths as Spider-Man villains.

    https://www.writeups.org/fenris-stru...marvel-comics/


  8. #23
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Is it an automatic guarantee that guesting Spider-Man regularly in these team's titles would up the sales of the titles concerned? Is there any study that supports this?
    Yes. Spider-Man has a large supporting regular fanbase. If Spider-Man is a reoccurring guest, sales will spike. A good example as Brian Reed's run on Ms. Marvel solo series. Everytime when Spider-Man appeared (a total of 7 times throughout), sales would increased. Why Peter Parker never appeared as a regular guest in the pages of She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and Captain Marvel is perplexing. He's close friends with each of them. Yet, no writer on those books wants to make him a reoccurring guest? It might help out with their declining sales number if they can create a story that would include Spider-Man because his audience would boost the book's sales numbers, provided the story is very good.

  9. #24
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Is it an automatic guarantee that guesting Spider-Man regularly in these team's titles would up the sales of the titles concerned? Is there any study that supports this?
    NO such study.

    However the idea is you throw his name on it and you get an increase in orders be it trades of floppies. Same thing you see with Batman & The Signal.

    Folks who NORMALLY don't care for Duke Thomas (Signal) read the book. I can go to Barnes & Noble and get that book. I couldn't say that if it was just Signal.

    Some folks it won't make a difference-those 3 teams don't need him. Sales won't go up or down if you do.

  10. #25
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Yes. Spider-Man has a large supporting regular fanbase. If Spider-Man is a reoccurring guest, sales will spike. A good example as Brian Reed's run on Ms. Marvel solo series. Everytime when Spider-Man appeared (a total of 7 times throughout), sales would increased. Why Peter Parker never appeared as a regular guest in the pages of She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and Captain Marvel is perplexing. He's close friends with each of them. Yet, no writer on those books wants to make him a reoccurring guest? It might help out with their declining sales number if they can create a story that would include Spider-Man because his audience would boost the book's sales numbers, provided the story is very good.
    It might be they don't want him to overshadow the rest. It gets into Batman territory. Sooner or later everyone has to stand on their own.

    7 times in a run is fine. That makes those appearances special.

  11. #26
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,890

    Default

    Editorially because Spidey doesn't need a team to get over he is popular on his own.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  12. #27
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    10,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It might be they don't want him to overshadow the rest. It gets into Batman territory. Sooner or later everyone has to stand on their own.

    7 times in a run is fine. That makes those appearances special.
    And considering the backlash in some corners over Batman's ubiquity in DC and DC's (arguable) overreliance on him, I wouldn't like to see that happen to Spider-Man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Editorially because Spidey doesn't need a team to get over he is popular on his own.
    Pretty much, yeah. If anything, those teams would need him more than he needs them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  13. #28
    Mighty Member chamber-music's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Spider-Man has his own rich vein of stories, villains and characters in his own books.

    Marvel probably doesn't want to over expose Spider-Man by putting him in too many ongoing books like they did with Wolverine for a bit.

    Writers for the FF, X-Men and Avengers are telling stories about those characters and have no need for Spider-Man in them. Editorial should not be forcing those writers to use Spider-Man to boost sales either.

    I'm also a DC fan and Batman is very much the cash cow that gets over milked in their books. I really don't want to see the same with Spider-Man at Marvel.

    Yes there are people that will pick up any book with Spider-Man in it but I don't think it will be sustainable if he is appearing regularly in too many books.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 10-28-2019 at 12:56 AM.

  14. #29
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    242

    Default

    I'd like if Spider-Man could join the Avengers, stand shoulder with guys like Captain America and Thor, have people finally start showing him the respect he deserves while forming meaningful relationships with other heroes.
    But according to both people in both this thread and Marvel themselves, I'm not allowed to have that, but I am allowed to have Doc Ock being degraded to a Peter clone.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    I'd like if Spider-Man could join the Avengers, stand shoulder with guys like Captain America and Thor, have people finally start showing him the respect he deserves while forming meaningful relationships with other heroes.
    But according to both people in both this thread and Marvel themselves, I'm not allowed to have that, but I am allowed to have Doc Ock being degraded to a Peter clone.
    He's already been an Avenger? I have no idea what you are on about...

    He even had his own batch of X-kids recently, and more or less headlined an X-book for a six issue mini. He's the crossover king.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •