Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Why have we not gotten Maximum Carnage as an ongoing then?
    That was so long it practically WAS an ongoing lol.

Just finished the latest issue and I'm disappointed that the series is ending with a repeat of BRAND NEW F***ING DAY!! When I noticed what was happening I was hoping that Otto was smarter than Peter and wouldn't take the deal. But nope! We can't have new and interesting ideas at MARVEL, we need to keep things to the same status quo that's been around for over 50 years. Evolution seems to be frowned upon in MARVEL and it's annoying. Superior Spider-Man was one of the rare few series that was fresh and exciting with a link to the past... but that's gone now. Otto returns to being Doctor Octopus and we lose a great anti-hero character.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    Just finished the latest issue and I'm disappointed that the series is ending with a repeat of BRAND NEW F***ING DAY!! When I noticed what was happening I was hoping that Otto was smarter than Peter and wouldn't take the deal. But nope! We can't have new and interesting ideas at MARVEL, we need to keep things to the same status quo that's been around for over 50 years. Evolution seems to be frowned upon in MARVEL and it's annoying. Superior Spider-Man was one of the rare few series that was fresh and exciting with a link to the past... but that's gone now. Otto returns to being Doctor Octopus and we lose a great anti-hero character.
    What else did you expect?

Every major character is going to undergone temporary changes.

Venom will always be Eddie Brock, despite a few years hiatuses here and there when he was anti-Venom, or symbioteless, or replaced by Mac Gargan, Flash Thompson and that guy with long hair I can't recall the name.

The same goes for Otto, he will always be Octopus, simply he will change for a short time his look and powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Do I want to squander that time getting into pointless arguments that come down to matters of individual taste? No. If someone says something that is demonstrably false or if they seem confused on one matter or another, I'm happy to take time to correct that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well then why did you respond to another post and make this argument that more or less amounts to or strongly implies "your opinion doesn't matter, it made money". You can't have it both ways. You can't say that you aren't interested in expressing what you liked about Superior and not engaging with issues of taste, when you go out of your way to respond to people expressing their taste.
    guys, mephisto called. he wants your relationship
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Even Mephisto won't dare come between them.

BANNED

But we get a classic villain back, if that's how the events of next issue shake out.

I think it's a little premature to say for sure what the outcome of next issue will be. It may not be as cut and dry as, well, he's back to his old self now and everything that's happened the last few years is wiped away.

I do think a return to villainy was inevitable and even desirable. How they manage that and what impact from his time as SSM will carry over is still a question mark. I reserve judgement until I see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    "One More Reply"

Lightbulb

I hope we get Superior Octopus at the conclusion who can serve as a sometimes hero/sometimes villain, but we'll see. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    "One More Reply"
    Followed by 'Brand New Post'.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Followed by 'Brand New Post'.
    And then "One Message In Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I do think a return to villainy was inevitable and even desirable. How they manage that and what impact from his time as SSM will carry over is still a question mark. I reserve judgement until I see how it plays out.
    Yeah, it's seemed to me from the very beginning that Otto's stint as a hero was ultimately about making him a more believable, well-rounded villain. The Silver Age megalomania has largely been replaced with nuance and character study, which I definitely appreciate.

I hope we see the continuation of the Otto who suffers from a flawed nobility; who believes his way is the right way, and ultimately wants to do great things but suffers due to ego; the Otto who saved Peter from dying and helped the FF, but who is still very much an antagonist.

I guess we'll see what happens!

-Pav, who wants the white suit back...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope we get Superior Octopus at the conclusion who can serve as a sometimes hero/sometimes villain, but we'll see. *crosses fingers*
    Dude, yes! I want Superior Octopus too! And he can be an anti-villain (someone who is a villain, but does good things sometimes as well) and faces off against Spider-Man. Dude, that'd be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Yeah, it's seemed to me from the very beginning that Otto's stint as a hero was ultimately about making him a more believable, well-rounded villain. The Silver Age megalomania has largely been replaced with nuance and character study, which I definitely appreciate.

I hope we see the continuation of the Otto who suffers from a flawed nobility; who believes his way is the right way, and ultimately wants to do great things but suffers due to ego; the Otto who saved Peter from dying and helped the FF, but who is still very much an antagonist.

I guess we'll see what happens!

-Pav, who wants the white suit back...
    I just want to point that almost all of the best known and recent versions of Ock have redeeming qualities. Spider-Man 2, Marvel's Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, a number of stories over the last couple decades that gave him some nuance and we haven't really seen enough of Olivia Octavius to say much about her aside from being warmly received as a fun version of Ock.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-02-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I just want to point that almost all of the best known and recent versions of Ock have redeeming qualities. Spider-Man 2, Marvel's Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man, a number of stories over the last couple decades that gave him some nuance and we haven't really seen enough of Olivia Octavius to say much about her aside from being warmly received as a fun version of Ock.
    I just wonder if people put so much emphasis on the redeeming qualities that they forget about the more monstrous aspects of those Ocks. Especially PS4 Ock.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just wonder if people put so much emphasis on the redeeming qualities that they forget about the more monstrous aspects of those Ocks. Especially PS4 Ock.
    No, I don't think so. They're just at different stages with varying degrees of culpability.