Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should the MCU make a western?

One of the things that I love about the MCU, is that they take their characters and place them across different genres (Gotg=Space Opera, Captain America = Political Thriller). But one genre they have yet to tackle is the Western. This would be a good fit for them since before Superhero films took off, Westerns used to dominate the box office. If the MCU were to make a Western, which characters do you think the movie should be about? I think the Rangers would be a great choice.
    083458F7-8774-47B7-A2A9-C3D8E8599BC4.jpg
    Last edited by BlackClaw; 09-22-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

My comic shop guy wants this. Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, all the old Marvel western guys teamed up.

I would say a superhero neo-western could work well. Think like what Logan did, but with more of an MCU flair. Not sure if they could do a straight-up western, but I'd love to see a movie take those themes and work with it. Think like how all the genres the MCU does, they give it that unique feel that makes it their own, often by adding the superhero elements and mixing with other genres. That's a huge strength to ensure it doesn't get stale.

Put the setting in the west, or somewhere with open plains and desert landscapes, and have an emphasis on anti-heroes fighting despicable villains. Possibly guns as well.

Hmm, who could fit that? Hard to say outside of the straight western stuff like Kid Colt. However...

X-Force

Anti-heroes? Check. Guns? Check. Despicable villains? Check. It'd be easy to get them in a western-like setting, depending on where their mission takes them. I can easily see them making X-Force a movie influenced by this.

BANNED

Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.
    He's talking about the MCU. As I stated, I can't see them making a full-on western MCU movie but I can see a movie heavily-influenced western elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    He's talking about the MCU. As I stated, I can't see them making a full-on western MCU movie but I can see a movie heavily-influenced western elements.
    Which is why I think the Rangers would be a great choice. They live in the modern day, each member has a unique power set, and they have a diverse lineup. Plus they’re based in Texas. It doesn’t get anymore western than that.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

Yeah, but does Rangers have any kind of recognition? I feel even Guardians of the Galaxy pre-MCU had more. They never even had a title. It's why I suggested X-Force having those western elements.

Yeah, but does Rangers have any kind of recognition? I feel even Guardians of the Galaxy pre-MCU had more. They never even had a title. It's why I suggested X-Force having those western elements.
    I don’t think recognition is an issue in this day and age. Heck, Marvel is currently making an Eternals movie and they’re a relatively unknown property to anyone who’s not a hardcore comic book reader, which is most of the casual moviegoing audience. And let’s remember, the MCU managed to become huge without any initial access to their heavy hitters (except for Hulk). As long as they get a good cast, the movie should do well.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

I think it more likely that they'd use a Native American hero, like Red Wolf or American Eagle.

I'd prefer the latter, he's a fun character (especially in that one shot with Cottonmouth), but he'd need a new codename. Or just go by Strongbow?

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I think it more likely that they'd use a Native American hero, like Red Wolf or American Eagle.

I'd prefer the latter, he's a fun character (especially in that one shot with Cottonmouth), but he'd need a new codename. Or just go by Strongbow?
    Would be sweet, if AE got a chance to be on the big screen. But I’d personally go with Red Wolf, especially since he’s a part of the rangers in the comics (yeah as you can see I’m not budging on them). Heck if they wanted to, they could make him the leader of the team in a possible movie.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

We need a barbarian movie.

We need Marvel's greatest barbarian.

Mothaflippin' Arkon.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, there's no way a team who's never had a comic will get a film. Besides, when most people think of superheroes called Rangers, they're probably thinking of the teenagers with attitude from Angel Grove.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post

American Eagle would be cool to see done.

I recall Loki is doing time-travelling on his show, so maybe they'll do a Western episode with all of Marvel's cowboy characters.

I'd love to see a MCU western taking place in the past with characters like Two Gun Kid, Rawhide Kid, Arizona Annie and Red Wolf. I think the MCU has so much potential to move beyond just the superhero genre. As mentioned above, hey could do a barbarian movie (just not Conan as part of the MCU please), or horror or movies set in various other time periods, not just the old west.