Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Could be done for sure. But try it at a lower budget first. Also maybe one of the Disney plus formats--

Astonishing Member

A Puma film would be awesome.

Boisterously Confused

A Western might work if you're building a new Phase around a new McGuffin (ala the Infinity Stones that drove six of the films in the first three phases), and the film's purpose is to introduce the McGuffin to the audience. Of course, that might seem a bit derivative.

Still, especially for the mystical characters like Red Wolf or Ghost Rider with both present and past incarnations, a Western might make a good CA:TFA introduction. A Dr. Strange sequel might be a place to introduce such characters: Have the backstory on the McGuffin of a Dr. Strange film introduce the mystical character in explaining the McGuffin's history to the audience. Follow that with a Western that expands on the McGuffin story, and then set a sequel in the modern world. Could be used to open up a whole mystical corner of the MCU.

Astonishing Member

Seeing how white supremacy in the trump-era US is a major problem, I think getting Marvel's western heroes together to fight the post Civil War KKK would make a great movie.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 09-22-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Seeing how white supremacy in the trump-era US is a major problem, I think getting Marvel's western heroes together to fight the post Civil War KKK would make a great movie.
    Gunhawks would be a good choice for that. Heck maybe they can throw in the Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt and Red Wolf as part of the team up.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    White supremacy and other forms of panicky oppression has always been a problem in the US I gather, 2019 definitely being no exception. Though it's especially interesting you bring that up, as Marvel's original Ghost Rider was later renamed Night Rider, but it was later found out this name had connections to the KKK, so he was again renamed to Phantom Rider, though interestingly, History of the Marvel Universe #1 referred to Carter Slade as Ghost Rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.
    Which could be the focus of the movie. As I have suggested before, the Ringo Kid has the back story that would allow discussion of such issues.

As much as I love the character, though, I suspect a MCU Western would need at least one of the Big Three (Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid). Of course, considering that Ringo Kid, Kid Colt and Rawhide Kid all have "outlaw" back stories and Two-Gun is a lawyer, it would be fairly easy to include Matt Hawk with any of them. But to be in the MCU we need to devote ridiculous amount of resources into CGI Eye-Candy...so we may need an alien invasion engrafted onto it. Maybe Dominus' folk?
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.
    Yeah, but..so? A western does not have to have those things, but if they do so be it. It's not as if those topics are uninteresting.

Niffleheim

It will be "political baggage" as you put it if they ignore the Native Americans' perspective.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't think Marvel would do a straight-up western, but I could see using the western characters to tie into some greater aspect of continuity. Otherwise, I could see a sort of modern take on western with someone like Red Wolf, but it wouldn't be a true western. I also could see Red Wolf being taken up by Marvel television instead.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'd be all in for a western series of films.
    I'm not even concerned with the snowflakes who can't understand history and have to place everything inside their "woke" 2019 world.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    We need a barbarian movie.

We need Marvel's greatest barbarian.

Mothaflippin' Arkon.
    I can see the feminists amassing with pitchforks already. Yikes! Here comes Thundra!
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I can see this starting on TV, as a "Times Past"or time-travel episode of a TV series, and graduating to movies if the reaction is good.

I think it could be fun for them to try, but they'd definitely have to get away from the comics costumes, or they'll come across like: https://youtu.be/wEByIZn5qeU

OR they could lean into it like the Coen Brothers did with Buster Scruggs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XLQDeYqpE but that would be tricky to pull off, i think.